Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Equinox Update Feedback

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1292 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    The update is night and day. It took a machine that was fantastic and had trouble picking up coins on edge to a a crummy machine that is fantastic at picking up coins on edge.
    lol yeah this pretty much sums it up
    Hawks88 likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1292 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    Maybe the difference between beach and dirt hunters too. I tested over 100pieces of gold and found no difference in depth. They did in fact make some needed adjustments they said....but some of those bleed over to other modes like beach which I didn’t like...others might based on location. Not new at this almost 1000 hours now and I’m good with the old program. Again....the threshold is nothing but added noise. It’s only a true threshold in gold modes having affect on targets.
    Agree I never found a use for threshold on this machine ... its more a of a "simulated" threshold ...
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    966 times
    Here is the thing: on edge. First how many coins are exactly 90 degrees on edge? And if they are? They eventually come out of that 90 degree angle as coins shift position with the ground expanding and contracting or dry compression, wet expansion over time.

The "rushed" update was the result of one guy posting "out of ground" videos that panicked everyone.
    sprailroad and Hawks88 like this.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Feb 2012
    44 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Disagree. How many coins do you miss if you can’t hear them?
    How likely are coins to be completely horizontal at the beach?
    I guess you never have coins disappear like I have at the beach several times.
    Maybe it happens with particular machines. I wish all pennies would be invisible - maybe version 3 will give us quarters back and eliminate the pennies that ID all over the place...

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    966 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bklein View Post
    Disagree. How many coins do you miss if you can’t hear them?H
    How likely are coins to be completely horizontal at the beach?
    I guess you never have coins disappear like I have at the beach several times.
    Maybe it happens with particular machines. I wish all pennies would be invisible - maybe version 3 will give us quarters back and eliminate the pennies that ID all over the place...
    I have dug coins on edge before the update. I even show that on some of my video hunts. So how many did I miss? None that I am aware of.
    sprailroad and Hawks88 like this.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    5882 times
    I downloaded the update when it came available but will be going back to the factory settings real soon. I think it was quieter before the update. I will admit that the depth chart is much more accurate with the update though.

us
    Feb 2012
    44 times
    This started using a big silver coin. So many said ”ahhh I never find big silver coins anyway”. Then the userbase realized it happens with other coins like quarters. Now we need a video showing a fail on a gold ring... Will it?

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    917 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    bklein.......my testing says it will get them as well as the Xcal and CTX. If you put a band on edge....... then run it across the DD with wider part...... then turn it again with the smaller part..... like a cross yes you can miss it with that less gold going across the coil. BUT...... so will other machines. Now silver was an issue needing fixed.... even air tests showed that..... add DIRT and you have a problem. As far as missing target ..... getting it all..... no one gets it all, you dont know you missed it if you missed.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

us
    Feb 2012
    44 times
    I actually had my CTX detect the on edge coin but eventually lose it as I kept testing. Kind of like how pinpoint annoyingly fades away with each use. Does it have to do that?? ML hypes it like a feature!

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    917 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Machines can TRACK out/filter metals the more passes you make. Pretty common depending on how it was designed especially with auto GB.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    Equinox 600, Fishers F22, Tesoro Vaquero
    230 times
    I think I'll be rolling back to the old version - possibly...

Before I applied the update I tested several coins on edge and confirmed that most of the time it would miss the coin at >/=45 deg. Then I tested after the update and the issue was resolved 100%, however now pennies almost always (except shield) show vdi 24-26, which as you all know is/was a dime.

Before the update I hit a 25/26 I knew it was dime every time but yesterday I dug a dozen pennies that were the same on the vdi as a dime. Sounds minor and it is.. but on my tight hunting schedule I don't have time to dig all the pennies at the park.

I do think the depth meter seems more accurate so its a bit of a trade-off if you prefer those features.

HH. Eman
    Hawks88 likes this.

May 2017
    1196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eman1000 View Post
    I tested after the update and the issue was resolved 100%, however now pennies almost always (except shield) show vdi 24-26, which as you all know is/was a dime.

Before the update I hit a 25/26 I knew it was dime every time but yesterday I dug a dozen pennies that were the same on the vdi as a dime. Sounds minor and it is.. but on my tight hunting schedule I don't have time to dig all the pennies at the park.

I do think the depth meter seems more accurate so its a bit of a trade-off if you prefer those features.
    This is balls-on accurate.

Before the update I knew a penny from a dime, no problem. Now... they're intermixed. I even get penny signals that show up as 29, 30, even 31 sometimes. They're usually flat when I dig them, but damn, I expect quarters!

This never happened before the update. A dime was always a dime, a quarter was always a quarter. The exceptions were very few and far between, maybe 1 in 12 or 15 pennies might fool me. The others I always knew were pennies.

I dig everything pretty much anyway, so it doesn't bother me so much. And you're 100% right about the depth meter being fixed. Before the update, I couldn't max out the depth meter on anything. Just yesterday, my post-updated machine dug a solid 30-31 signal at 11-12 inches with the depth meter maxed out on every swing.

Turned out to be my first Barber Quarter
    fuzzymaster, Hawks88 and eman1000 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links