Equinox Update Feedback

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just browsed the Equinox forum for feedback and nothing jumped out at me. Received the 800 in April and have yet to update the software. Works fine and stable as is. Russian Roulette?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I talked to a guy the other day who had done the update and then went back to how it was. I didn’t ask why.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I updated mine when it was released and am very pleased with the results.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
The machine became very sparky when I updated. I rolled it back.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes I remember the guy who said he went back to as bought because it was too much noise.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After update it does a better job of detecting coins on edge... unfortunately, this made it a little too hot, and VDI numbers are kinda all over the place sometimes.

Most people who started with the original firmware went back to it. I am still using the new release but I am very close to going back as well. I haven't had enough time on the new release to make up my mind.

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After update it does a better job of detecting coins on edge... unfortunately, this made it a little too hot, and VDI numbers are kinda all over the place sometimes.

Most people who started with the original firmware went back to it. I am still using the new release but I am very close to going back as well. I haven't had enough time on the new release to make up my mind.

Good info, thanks. I’ll just leave it alone, if it’s not broke...

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was told by a very experienced water hunter who now uses the nox 800 exclusively, that if you have threshold so you can hear it the battery only lasts 4 hours. But if you turn it down so you cannot hear it, I would assume very low, it lasts all day. He said you really don’t need it, if there is a deep tiny, it still let’s you know. He really loves his 800.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by a very experienced water hunter who now uses the nox 800 exclusively, that if you have threshold so you can hear it the battery only lasts 4 hours. But if you turn it down so you cannot hear it, I would assume very low, it lasts all day. He said you really don’t need it, if there is a deep tiny, it still let’s you know. He really loves his 800.

I do use threshold, and never had a problem with battery life at all. As far as needing it, I agree, you really do not, it's just something I use for me. And the update? I went back and forth with it, settled on the "Pre-update".

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
The update is night and day. It took a machine that was fantastic and had trouble picking up coins on edge to a a crummy machine that is fantastic at picking up coins on edge.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the difference between beach and dirt hunters too. I tested over 100pieces of gold and found no difference in depth. They did in fact make some needed adjustments they said....but some of those bleed over to other modes like beach which I didn’t like...others might based on location. Not new at this almost 1000 hours now and I’m good with the old program. Again....the threshold is nothing but added noise. It’s only a true threshold in gold modes having affect on targets.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The update is night and day. It took a machine that was fantastic and had trouble picking up coins on edge to a a crummy machine that is fantastic at picking up coins on edge.

I know as a fact that I was picking up coins on edge before the update. Perhaps the "Depth gauge" is better after the update? I have never really paid much attention to a depth gauge on any machine I've ever owned anyway. I kind of go with b3yOnd3r on this.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the difference between beach and dirt hunters too. I tested over 100pieces of gold and found no difference in depth. They did in fact make some needed adjustments they said....but some of those bleed over to other modes like beach which I didn’t like...others might based on location. Not new at this almost 1000 hours now and I’m good with the old program. Again....the threshold is nothing but added noise. It’s only a true threshold in gold modes having affect on targets.

Agree I never found a use for threshold on this machine ... its more a of a "simulated" threshold ...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Here is the thing: on edge. First how many coins are exactly 90 degrees on edge? And if they are? They eventually come out of that 90 degree angle as coins shift position with the ground expanding and contracting or dry compression, wet expansion over time.

The "rushed" update was the result of one guy posting "out of ground" videos that panicked everyone.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disagree. How many coins do you miss if you can’t hear them?
How likely are coins to be completely horizontal at the beach?
I guess you never have coins disappear like I have at the beach several times.
Maybe it happens with particular machines. I wish all pennies would be invisible - maybe version 3 will give us quarters back and eliminate the pennies that ID all over the place...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Disagree. How many coins do you miss if you can’t hear them?H
How likely are coins to be completely horizontal at the beach?
I guess you never have coins disappear like I have at the beach several times.
Maybe it happens with particular machines. I wish all pennies would be invisible - maybe version 3 will give us quarters back and eliminate the pennies that ID all over the place...

I have dug coins on edge before the update. I even show that on some of my video hunts. So how many did I miss? None that I am aware of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread