South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m heading to OBX NC after Christmas. In the past I focused on the towel line with my Garrett, did well in the Summer, but not much in the winter. Now have the Nox and can swing the wet sand areas. Temps should be in the 50’s, but too cold for me to wade in the water.

Planning on swinging around low tide from the water up to the high tide line. Zig zagging looking for dips and concentrations of rock/shell areas and any deep cuts. Looking for a pattern of targets.

My thought is that the towel line will have been pounded, but the wet sand area will be replenishing with the movement of the tide/sand.

Any advice on this strategy or other winter beach Detecting tips?

Thx! HH

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUMP! The early 'winter' here in Chicagoland prompted me to search for 'winter' threads here on Tnet..
Time to get my winter strategy on.. I guess I'll be trying to hit the beach as most of the parks will be covered with snow and ground will be frozen soon.

Any winter detectorists out there? If so, what is your favorite type of place to hunt? I'm thinking pretty much the dry sand... Chime in with your advice and experience!

View attachment 1766817

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6326091523/
[/FONT]

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUMP! The early 'winter' here in Chicagoland prompted me to search for 'winter' threads here on Tnet..
Time to get my winter strategy on.. I guess I'll be trying to hit the beach as most of the parks will be covered with snow and ground will be frozen soon.

Any winter detectorists out there? If so, what is your favorite type of place to hunt? I'm thinking pretty much the dry sand... Chime in with your advice and experience!

Youre hunting wont be different summer or winter. The only thing to change is the amount of clothes you wear. Lakes arent like an ocean beach. Ocean beaches have sand shifts with the seasons. Some places have lower sand in the winter, plus youre not fighting crowds, so its a preferred time of year.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Watch for the big storms..winds and waves. I was there a few years ago and just about this time of year, and what a storm!

OBN0335.jpg
I was out the next day since I was staying just a few blocks away from a beach. Ran into several other hunters, and did score a monster gold ring..10k 32 grams.

OBN0003.jpg

One thing I did notice was the locals did not hunt the water for they knew the storm had pushed stuff up on the shore. I did see one other small gold ring and lots of coins found that day. So the dry and wet sand could be good to check out, Me I'll be in the water where the big gold was found, but 600 miles to the east of you.

IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_4599.jpg

Good Luck and check out the older spots around the rivers there, a hunter by the name of hiluxyota does well..and his video's are interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4yLniERekWqAXh0NwOqaqw

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1766817
If you plan to hit Lake Michigan beaches, hit the sand while you can. I have hunted beaches along Lake Mich. every month of the year at some point (when it's not snow/ice covered).
If you have loose sand, get after it.
You will find as a cold winter drags on in the Midwest, there will be large areas of sandy ice both on the surface as well as below which is like concrete w/o the steel rebar. There's nothing more frustrating than hearing a great tone, dig a few inches only to hit that icy Sand-Crete layer and a target out of reach.
Now if I had 3-arms, my equipment would be detector, scoop and a portable propane tiger torch to melt that ice!
Best of luck this winter!

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

@Casper, this is invaluable information which may allow me to winter hunt around here, if I can convince the wife to let me ��.
I'll be checking Craigslist for boots and gloves, I might need a new winter weight wetsuit too. My current one has lost much of it's elasticity and I can hardly get into it anymore

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a pair of 8mm dive boots from Am I Zone, for next to nothing! not sure if we can promote companies. wont get as cold here in south Texas as much as most of you get, but want feet to stay warm.
I also went to the local thrift store looking for headphone cable and found a wetsuit that would actually fit me, I kinda outgrew my old one, or maybe it shrunk in the water, Hummmm.
To my surprise the wetsuit only cost $5.99 cant beat that with a stick. going to be warm tomorrow but another front coming down, will get to try it then. Good luck on your winter hunting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have multiple wet suits and wadders for winter beach hunting the water in winter for both salt beaches and fresh water springs.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From my own experience don’t expect much
I think the local yokels clean them too thoroughly

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the targets I found were at low tide near the water line....they would have been underwater otherwise. The hotels IMO are a better choice than the condos. I was there too when a big storm came thru..... it was coming over those dikes and they were really working at it....roads were covered to the South.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL
From the title I thought you were going to detect Winter Beach............... FLORIDA.

That's still my best suggestion for winter detecting! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread