South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m heading to OBX NC after Christmas. In the past I focused on the towel line with my Garrett, did well in the Summer, but not much in the winter. Now have the Nox and can swing the wet sand areas. Temps should be in the 50’s, but too cold for me to wade in the water.

Planning on swinging around low tide from the water up to the high tide line. Zig zagging looking for dips and concentrations of rock/shell areas and any deep cuts. Looking for a pattern of targets.

My thought is that the towel line will have been pounded, but the wet sand area will be replenishing with the movement of the tide/sand.

Any advice on this strategy or other winter beach Detecting tips?

Thx! HH

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBX where the blacktop ends where the wild horses are.Miles & miles & miles of open beach.:) 2012_0414Mttohuntdeer4th0161.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never found much in winter, not enough people

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OBX where the blacktop ends where the wild horses are.Miles & miles & miles of open beach.:) View attachment 1662638

I hit this area of the northern 4wd beach Carova a couple summers ago. Looks like your picture, found a bunch of 50 mm WW2 shell casings. I wish they dismantled the fence that prevents driving all the way up to VA Beach. That must have been an awesome drive. It’s exhilarating to drive at a good pace down the beach with the waves crashing 20’ away... occasionally deep ruts of soft sand make it an adventure especially when the tide is coming in.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never found much in winter, not enough people

That’s been my experience in the dry sand for sure. No real beach activity since September. The dry sand is so clean that you get excited for a pulltab signal...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bundle up and have fun!:skullflag:

Attachments

• BeachShark.jpg
    BeachShark.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Beachman.jpg
    Beachman.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 160
  • beach1.JPG
    beach1.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 179

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of OBX 1/2 Hr.north is V.B. and a lot more possibilities :) 073.JPG

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I winter hunt at beaches and have found 2 gold rings right where the waves meet the sand. Terry’s first picture is where I usually hunt. Good luck.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here on the Central Florida east coast, the number of depositors decrease significantly during the winter months. Our best hope is for the winter Noreaster winds to provide some serious erosion. Stripping away multiple layers of sand can be really productive for us...both on tourist and treasure coast beaches.

Since the OBX are further north, it would be my guess that you'll find the same situation. Without some erosion, finds may be sparse. Less depositors = less recent drops.

Please don't let me discourage you, this is just the view from my foxhole...

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah you are going to be looking for erosion and low spots. Failing that, you are going to be hunting the wasteland for any signs of life (ie: trashy areas mean people).

But, it beats sitting inside doing nothing watch life pass by.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d get there before low tide and just follow it out as the tide recedes. Just to get a jump on it. Good luck!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit this area of the northern 4wd beach Carova a couple summers ago. Looks like your picture, found a bunch of 50 mm WW2 shell casings. I wish they dismantled the fence that prevents driving all the way up to VA Beach. That must have been an awesome drive. It’s exhilarating to drive at a good pace down the beach with the waves crashing 20’ away... occasionally deep ruts of soft sand make it an adventure especially when the tide is coming in.

I just remembered.About 1/2 between where the blacktop ends and the HUGH weekend houses are.There are quite a few of(old) tree stump remains sticking out of the sand.At low tide (you might run over them w/ car if your not careful) you cant miss em .Anyhow, they might act as a natural sluice at catching something old & good.:)

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Think I'll hunt my pool this winter. e4f339b5afb3be90d4420be0a331a087.jpg lots of pull tabs.:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice place to hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here on the Central Florida east coast, the number of depositors decrease significantly during the winter months. Our best hope is for the winter Noreaster winds to provide some serious erosion. Stripping away multiple layers of sand can be really productive for us...both on tourist and treasure coast beaches.

Since the OBX are further north, it would be my guess that you'll find the same situation. Without some erosion, finds may be sparse. Less depositors = less recent drops.

Please don't let me discourage you, this is just the view from my foxhole...
Ive always done pretty good in the winters down there and I'm only a visitor
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums1617.html

when I go down - its usually always from just a sun. to thurs. - 1/2 day on sun. and thurs.
full days m-t-w

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive always done pretty good in the winters down there and I'm only a visitor
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums1617.html

when I go down - its usually always from just a sun. to thurs. - 1/2 day on sun. and thurs.
full days m-t-w

Normally you’re right on Casper. This year however, a combination of massive replenishment of our beaches, lack of any serious erosion and “cold” temps that discourage a significant number of depositors have lessened the finds dramatically over past years. We need a good north east wind/storm to help us out.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally you’re right on Casper. This year however, a combination of massive replenishment of our beaches, lack of any serious erosion and “cold” temps that discourage a significant number of depositors have lessened the finds dramatically over past years. We need a good north east wind/storm to help us out.
try to find/hunt hotel beaches where Canadians frequent - like me- they think your waters are warm compared
what we have - the coldest your waters get are still usually warmer than ours get in summer
there are a handful of hotels Canadians flock to and they still go in

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUMP! The early 'winter' here in Chicagoland prompted me to search for 'winter' threads here on Tnet..
Time to get my winter strategy on.. I guess I'll be trying to hit the beach as most of the parks will be covered with snow and ground will be frozen soon.

Any winter detectorists out there? If so, what is your favorite type of place to hunt? I'm thinking pretty much the dry sand... Chime in with your advice and experience!

19-2020-us-winter-weather-forecast-map-buy-crop.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread