3 month M.D./fishing trip on the treasure coast

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve rented a fishing cottage on Sebastion River (where it forks north and south) for February, March, and April 2019. I’m taking my boat, fishing gear, and detector (CTX 3030). Plan on splitting my time between the 2 hobbies.
I’m a rookie beach hunter and would appreciate any tips (I’ve been scouring the web for tips and ideas, but welcome any additional advice). I plan on hitting all the obvious spots (beaches) but I also want to see what I can find on the islands (not state park land) and along the Sebastian river. My cottage sits on almost 3 acres and the river runs right alongside it. It’s about a 1/2 mile from the Indian River Lagoon.
Since I’ll be there for a while , I’m hoping to get to know some local diggers. If you’re a local and you’re interested in a new “Diggin’ Buddy”, let me know. I wouldn’t mind meeting a new fishing partner too. Gonna get me some monster Snook, Tarpon, Reds and Grouper.

I can’t wait!

I know this sounds bad, but I’m praying for a big storm while I’m there.
...Does that make me a bad person? lol

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this something you've done before ? Is it a yearly thing ? Being from the north I'd be interested in spending at least a couple of weeks down there next year........just need some runway to plan.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time to the treasure coast with my metal detector.

Thanks RTR.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
If you’re able to hunt indiantlantic beach you’ll have a good chance of running into the infamous Terry Shannon at any given low tide. He’s a great hunter on the treasure coast and has the goods to prove it. Has a few videos on YouTube and is a wealth of knowledge on where the goodies turn up. I’ll be down in Vero April 6th for a week if you’d like to get out. Happy Hunting

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve rented a fishing cottage on Sebastion River (where it forks north and south) for February, March, and April 2019. I’m taking my boat, fishing gear, and detector (CTX 3030). Plan on splitting my time between the 2 hobbies.
I’m a rookie beach hunter and would appreciate any tips (I’ve been scouring the web for tips and ideas, but welcome any additional advice). I plan on hitting all the obvious spots (beaches) but I also want to see what I can find on the islands (not state park land) and along the Sebastian river. My cottage sits on almost 3 acres and the river runs right alongside it. It’s about a 1/2 mile from the Indian River Lagoon.
Since I’ll be there for a while , I’m hoping to get to know some local diggers. If you’re a local and you’re interested in a new “Diggin’ Buddy”, let me know. I wouldn’t mind meeting a new fishing partner too. Gonna get me some monster Snook, Tarpon, Reds and Grouper.

I can’t wait!

I know this sounds bad, but I’m praying for a big storm while I’m there.
...Does that make me a bad person? lol
We Floridians don't need a storm for sure. All that is needed, is the wind to blow from the right direction for a few days at 25 plus and it will strip the beaches of sand.
Tropical storm sandy moved up the coast here and destroyed the beaches. Dune walls were 15 ft plus in some places - straight up. Old roots sticking out of dune wall. Massive pilings, planks, and stainless steel bolts were all over along with all kinds of other trash. 5/8" stainless steel bolts for pilings twisted like they were made from foil.
The last step on ocean front properties that lead over the dune to the beach was out of my reach on the staircases that survived while standing on black sand and clay. In one day it filled back in enough to hide a lot of stuff. This was not at all beaches. Some don't erode as much as others.
Sand is pumped on these beaches so much it's ridiculous .
Some other finds have been made recently also related to local shipwrecks.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread