mham2

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I normally use the 30 30 up north in the dirt but thought the nox would be lighter and a good backup for my Excalibur

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Why get a nox when you have a 3030? Unless you can’t handle the weight of the 3030 then I see no need for a nox.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the 3030 is the better machine... especially if you are going deeper than 10'. BUT the Equinox is faster and much much lighter, and for this reason a bunch of 3030 owners have switch to the equinox. Ask this question in the Brand->Minelab->Equinox forum you'll get more answers.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 30 30 has more kick and will drop a trespasser at 200 yards.:laughing7:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox has many thinking about getting rid of machines. Ive got several Xcals, a CTX and Nox. Ive not seen a clear advantage in the water. The Nox appears deeper and more sensitivity out of the water for beach hunting...... but its not as refined as the CTX that smart screen is hard to beat for target information. Tuff decision...... ill likely get rid of one or two of my Xcal..... but that CTX im keeping around. It may be slower for dirt hunting..... but it sure cuts back on the chatter. I also see .... theres a lot of money setting in the closet too if you arent using it.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I have all three and have been using the EQX on the beaches over the CTX for several reasons:

1. It's simpler to use
2. It's lighter to carry
3. It's recovery speed is much faster than the CTX and Excal
4. It's more sensitive to smaller targets than the CTX and Excal
5. It's less apt to leak as all components are sealed inside the control box...no detachable battery whose seal can leak

Whether its deeper in all conditions than the CTX or the Excal....TBD because I haven't tried ALL conditions but it's plenty deep. As deep if not more so in my environment than the CTX from my perspective.

Bottom Line: I'll keep my CTX and use the Excal in deeper water but will continue to grab the EQX as my "go to" detector.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
I am thinking about seeing if someone wants to trade a nox 800 and an excal for my CTX plus give some cash. Thinking bout posting in the charter trade area. I am mainly a water hunter and I am wanting to use the nox 800 and really want to use the excal as well. It’s just hard to let go of the information that the CTX offers on the screen but if I find someone that want to trade then I will go for it. Reading what you guys are posting is inspiring me. If I could make some extra money to pay for the machines, then I would keep the CTX with both 11in and 17in coils but I am too tired at the end of the day to get a 2nd job.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like nox may outperform both in some situations but never all, they all have their advantages but the nox is really light. I swung it 5 hours yesterday with the big coil on the wetsand and the time flew, in the water it's got alot of drag to it though.

Personally I'm starting to think the a nice PI like the new whites tdi for the water and the nox for the shore is the winning combo for my beach hunting needs. Seems many prefer the excal over a pi machine but from my personal experience time and time again I've seen my sandshark outperform the excal in the water and it's hard to keep just calling it luck. I've sold that machine so now I'm looking to go deeper in the water. On the land the equinox is hard to beat although I'm 50+ hrs in and still getting accustomed to the tones in beach mode you can move so quickly and it's so responsive even with the 15" coil on it.

That's my opinion, it's a great machine, will perform at similar levels as the excal and ctx although it wont have all the bells and whistles it is nice and light.

OP
OP
mham2

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
I don’t think I will ever give up on the Excalibur in the water but in the sand and dirt the nox may be an advantage for me because of the weight , I’m 72 years young with a torn rotator cuff and the lighter weight would be an advantage for me thx

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd sell the 3030 based just on the weight difference!!!!

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread