Grid work

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While detecting over the past week I saw a few others detecting also. Only one was doing grid searching like I do. I cannot cover a large portion of the beach but I am very thorough. I drag my scoop behind me to mark my path. Am I a rarity or do you all do grid searching?

Also... Do you think dragging my scoop will harm it over time? It is a 16 gauge steel scoop. (BTW if you can afford a scoop with a handle it is the only way to go) the sand shines it up but will it grind it down over time. Thinking of tying a stick to my belt to mark my path.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont grid search as my favorite beach is only 2 miles long but I have seen a lot of fellow hunters that grid the more popular areas and I suppose they do pretty good as I see them doing it over and over again. I hunt the dry sand down and water back in the popular times of the year. Winter months I just hunt the dry and wet sand as the water is toooo cold to get wet.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually bee line to the high tide line and follow the beach for a bit then turn around and go back and forth gridding up just past the towel line. Then ill swing like a drunken sailor in the open area. I leave a snail trail to see where i've been tho.

Your not dragging it at 50 mph so sand should just keep it shiny.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have fun you can do a day and have no problem not going over the same areas too much!!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I grid the wet sand into the water at low tide, and the towel line if it's high tide. :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grid if there are enough targets to make it worthwhile. Dragging the scoop will eventually wear it out......might takes many years of use for that to happen though. Using it as a scoop will do that eventually too. By then, I'd be ready for a new and improved scoop anyway, so, not something I would worry about.

TrashFinder

Mar 11, 2013
51st state - Jefferson
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scuff my feet as I go. Works great when the grass has dew on it in the morning but rarely is it not visible when on the return parallel run.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I grid by doing one section at a time; starting with gridding the perimeter, then doing a smaller lap, inside and overlapping the outer lap; etc.
I then place a marker where I finished for an easy find the next day.
Don...

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
99.9% of my hunting is in the water, I've found, on older beach's, there are Hot area's. And As well as I can, I'll spiral (circle) grid, loops, crosshatch gridding, blow sand, break patterns, re-hunt the dug sand and do what ever I can to clean that area out. And one thing for sure, everyone misses stuff, I've come back thru area's the next day after thinking I would find nothing and found smaller rings I may have dug and covered. Few years ago we had a spot that we mined, targets were just deep and couple not be heard, so we would dig a big hole sifting the sand thru a sifter. Never found any gold like that but many silver coins.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Towel line, Terry? I guess I'm more of a bikini line kinda guy...

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I grid the dry sand and wet dragging my beautiful Stealth Extreme 920. Also grid in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread