Inexpensive beach scoop

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Thought I would share a couple of my beach scoop creations. They are made from pvc fittings, nylon bolts, and plastic grain scoops. They are non metallic so they can be easily scanned if desired. They are excellent in dry sand and wet. Voids in the fittings are filled with reinforced auto body filler for extra strength. They are strong enough to be kicked into the sand and are very durable except in rocky locations. The green one has a hickory handle and the angle of the basket is a bit more ideal. The other is all pvc and has a kick extension and stands up by itself. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546207709.612204.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546207732.945066.jpg

Upvote 0

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might last longer than one thinks. I built something similar and it has held up well for a full season so far. The scoop can easily be removed from the handle for replacement.
Scoop1.jpg Scoop2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandancer

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Yes, these scoops are not made for rocky areas or really solid beaches, but they are not delicate. The first one that I made lasted four years used in reasonably soft wet sand and especially in powdery dry sand typical of where beach goers like to lay their blankets⛱

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no such thing as a "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" beach scoop. A Good dry sand scoop starts at about $50, while an aluminum wet sand and water scoop runs $150 to start. Time to make a cheap scoop with Home Depot parts and the money for parts usually doesn't pay off. :skullflag:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some inventive work!! All that matters is they work for you. :icon_thumright:

I did a few scoops early on but after a few years I seen having a good scoop is as important as the detector used, for me.

OP
OP
Sandancer

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Agree a good scoop is essential and I do own both stainless and aluminum ones, but more often than not I find myself reaching for the green one pictured. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546230447.260241.jpg

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like them!!

Does anyone make an adapter for threaded broom handles?

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
There is no such thing as a "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" beach scoop. A Good dry sand scoop starts at about $50, while an aluminum wet sand and water scoop runs $150 to start. Time to make a cheap scoop with Home Depot parts and the money for parts usually doesn't pay off. :skullflag:

Check out 'sand scoop harrass'. I made one using what I had around the shop and it is free of metal. I made it 15 years ago and it is still good as new. Short of driving over it with a truck it is almost indistructable.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Actually there are some really nice stainless scoops on ebay for around $80...mine came from Ukraine with free shipping. You just add the shovel handle. I've been using two of them (with different hole sizes) for about 4 years now. Still have not broken either one and I do a lot of hard bottom digging in and out of the water.

I made the mistake of buying an RTG Pro sand scoop, just for dry sand. Even in soft sand I bent it in 5 minutes flat. Now I use only a heavy stainless scoop everywhere.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back several years ago I looked at a number of scoops. At the time I was thinking "lifetime". So I spent the bucks and picked up a Stealth 920iX - worth the money. I let my hunting buddy use it first, and he bought one himself.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I did. Took a no-good junk flashlight and turned it into a no-rust sand scoop. 002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is the handle in the middle instead of the back end?

BTW this is a great idea

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is the handle in the middle instead of the back end?

BTW this is a great idea

I figured it would make the unit more rigid.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a better shot. 003.JPG
Weight =12 ozs.
Length= 29.50"
Holes=5/16
First outing using it was at OBX for a week last year.Dug 100 holes the 1st day and it worked great in dry sand.Tends to clog up a little in wet sand.But placing it in water removes the clog in a second.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know what machine you guys are using..... but you are either digging very shallow targets or wasting a lot of time taking a lot of scoops off to get down to a deep target. I agree Terry....... no such thing as a cheap scoop that going to last anyway. Beach hunting isnt like dirt hunting...... in most cases you pay for equipment fairly fast..... so buy the best and USE it. I see those snow birds every year come down with their deep machines and a hand scoop..... it get funny.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know what machine you guys are using..... but you are either digging very shallow targets or wasting a lot of time taking a lot of scoops off to get down to a deep target. I agree Terry....... no such thing as a cheap scoop that going to last anyway. Beach hunting isnt like dirt hunting...... in most cases you pay for equipment fairly fast..... so buy the best and USE it. I see those snow birds every year come down with their deep machines and a hand scoop..... it get funny.

Heh... I know... kills me when I see a guy with 1500 + dollar machine... and carrying a hand scoop or some other handheld digging tool... on beach anyway.

Personally to all those thinking of metal detecting out there and shopping for a detector... realize... digging IS part of the dealio. heh... so in other words... budget in the hardware department as into the metal detecting hobby cost,

Like getting into model trains... and buying the best locomotive ... and little to no track. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres a better shot. View attachment 1666939
Weight =12 ozs.
Length= 29.50"
Holes=5/16
First outing using it was at OBX for a week last year.Dug 100 holes the 1st day and it worked great in dry sand.Tends to clog up a little in wet sand.But placing it in water removes the clog in a second.

RTR... I love ya buddy... but lol... that frigging flashlight scoop kills me. heh

You really love that thing don't ya. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread