Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a question for you experts because this problem has me and my friend perplexed. Between the two of us we have 5 Excals. We have been using them for years and hunt with them at least 3 to 4 times a week. We beach and water hunt with them. We recently sent 4 Excal's to be serviced and I had one modified before we took a trip overseas. All four were serviced and I want to point out that Minelab always has done excellent work. I love their machines and have 5 myself. Here is what is going on and if you have seen this please let me know.

We have two excals that were serviced in the past and recently checked and serviced before our overseas trip. The two I am referring to have the exact same problem. As soon as we turn on either machine we get lots of chatter. We can setup all 5 machines that we have with the same settings and 3 will work perfect and two will have tons of chatter. When minelab checks them at their lab and field test them they work fine except that they are not near the ocean. Here are the settings we use.

Disc 1
Sens 7
Vol 1 to 3 oclock
Thres lowest hum possible
Disc mode

I am aware that the sensitivity can change depending on conditions. No matter what beach we go to and test both machines false constantly like there is EMI around. I took mine overseas hoping to use both of my coils and as soon as I turned it on I had the same problem in the dry sand and water. I had to stop using it and switch to my Equinox. I was happy I took 3 machines with me.

I know that there is a threshold pod on the mother board or at least I have been told there is one. My Excal sits in the closet with my new mod and two coils because of this chatter and falsing. My question is have you seen this? Do you have any suggestions on how to fix the problem? Both my friend and my detector have the exact same symptoms. Thanks in advance if you have any ideas.

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That changing of tone where it takes the last target is PITCH HOLD. Joe is it possible the coil is getting to much voltage? Some did come with a third wire ...it appeared tone an attempt to ground the board

The problem was the battery even though it's good on my other Excal its no good for the Excal giving me problems. Se my post above. If was the battery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread