Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones, NOT Gray Ghosts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Fenway

Jun 2012
    Massachusetts
    Excal II, CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
    183 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Not sure what the allure is?? I tried them twice. Both times I quickly realized that they were pieces of SH@T! I tried them for my CTX a while ago and I could hardly hear anything with them. Once I switched to the Minelab (Koss) yellow headphones they blew my ears out!! What a difference!! I explained my situation to the manufacturer and it fell on deaf ears. "Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do for you" was their response.
    The second time I bought them only because I was urged by a reputable dealer. He told me they were "upgraded" and "better than ever". I bought these ghosts for my girlfriend's Equinox. She hated them immediately. She found them to be uncomfortable and had great difficulty hearing the tones.
    Buyer beware!! I vowed I would never consider them again, especially with the "customer service" that I was provided.
    zigzag likes this.

us
    Fenway

Jun 2012
    Massachusetts
    183 times
    Just wanted to follow up on that previous post. I hunted with my friend yesterday and his gray ghosts are giving him great difficulty as well. He also swings a CTX so of course I recommended the yellow Koss Minelab headphones.

Anybody else out there experiencing similar difficulties with grey ghost? If so, what, what do you consider a viable alternative? I would love to hear your thoughts. I have heard great things about Patriots . Anybody have any success stories on those? I'll be quite honest with everyone, I'm very tired of large companies taking advantage of consumers! If you make a product and ask good money for it then you better damn well stand behind it!

Happy Hunting everyone!

us
    Fenway

Jun 2012
    Massachusetts
    183 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrencetheMDer View Post
    I bought the Gray Ghost waterproof headphones in 2017, used them for about 2 weeks. In 2018 used them for 4 months and they started to go bad. Loss sounds/signals, cracking noise, low volume or none and intermittent. I traced the problem to a possible broken wire inside the headphone cable where it goes into the headphone jack on the CTX 3030.

In searching my written literature for trouble shooting, I discovered the Gray Ghost Warranty card that I was suppose to mail-in within 14 days of buying the Gray Ghost headphones, so I guess I'm out of luck regarding the lifetime warranty.

Was looking to buy another waterproof headphone manufacturer and came across two that look identical - one is sold on Amazon (Minelab CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones Garden Accessory, made by Minelab) listed at about $93.00 and good down to 3 meters/10 feet (also found at Serious Detecting for $149.00, good to 10 ft.). These Minelab headphones have very poor reviews on Amazon. There appears to be almost identical Minelab headphones sold by others (e.g., Kellyco) for the Minelab CTX 3030 for $149.00 that are good to 200 ft. Without further info, I'll probably go with the the Kellyco headphones for $149.00 and good to 200 ft, but can't get over the poor quality Ghosts and hate to spend about $50.00 more for Kellyco- Minelab, if I don't need to. Any feedback appreciated.

Added Note: Just noticed that the Minelab headphones for the CTX 3030 at Serious Detecting ($149.00) are Koss, but still noted on website that they're good only to 10 ft, yet the same (?) headphones at Kellyco (not specifically "Koss") are good to 200 ft as noted on their website. Now I'm completely confused!!!

Attachment 1667012
    LawrenceMDer, I would definitely go with the Koss headphones. I have had great luck with them. They are very loud, unlike the gray ghosts. I have actually had to turn my volume down on my CTX because they are too loud at times. When I had my gray ghosts I have the volume maxed and still had great difficulty hearing certain tones. I am convinced I was flat-out missing many signals! I would buy them from kellyco or another reputable metal detecting dealer. I have had great luck with Colonial metal detectors in Connecticut! Great customer service.
    Sounds like grey ghost is taking a real beating lately!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links