Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought the Gray Ghost waterproof headphones in 2017, used them for about 2 weeks. In 2018 used them for 4 months and they started to go bad. Loss sounds/signals, cracking noise, low volume or none and intermittent. I traced the problem to a possible broken wire inside the headphone cable where it goes into the headphone jack on the CTX 3030.

In searching my written literature for trouble shooting, I discovered the Gray Ghost Warranty card that I was suppose to mail-in within 14 days of buying the Gray Ghost headphones, so I guess I'm out of luck regarding the lifetime warranty.

Was looking to buy another waterproof headphone manufacturer and came across two that look identical - one is sold on Amazon (Minelab CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones Garden Accessory, made by Minelab) listed at about $93.00 and good down to 3 meters/10 feet (also found at Serious Detecting for $149.00, good to 10 ft.). These Minelab headphones have very poor reviews on Amazon. There appears to be almost identical Minelab headphones sold by others (e.g., Kellyco) for the Minelab CTX 3030 for $149.00 that are good to 200 ft. Without further info, I'll probably go with the the Kellyco headphones for $149.00 and good to 200 ft, but can't get over the poor quality Ghosts and hate to spend about $50.00 more for Kellyco- Minelab, if I don't need to. Any feedback appreciated.

Added Note: Just noticed that the Minelab headphones for the CTX 3030 at Serious Detecting ($149.00) are Koss, but still noted on website that they're good only to 10 ft, yet the same (?) headphones at Kellyco (not specifically "Koss") are good to 200 ft as noted on their website. Now I'm completely confused!!!

Gray Ghosts.jpg

Attachments

• 20190103_110428.jpg
    20190103_110428.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would just fix them, very easy. I can post a parts list if needed.

OBN-0021.jpg

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I've also had some significant issues with my waterproof Gray Ghosts. I can't believe they are the best thing on the market. First time I used them in the water I had the same issues. I sent them in. Even on warranty I had to pay shipping so it was like $15 and they were a real pain about it. Now, I can see the cords fraying again so I don't dare take them in the water. Let me know if you find a good alternative.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd check with the manufacturer first. They might repair for free, or, very reasonably.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Call the manufacture and tell them you forgot to sent in the registration card...give them the serial number; perhaps they will honor the warranty! :dontknow:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you’re not using underwater? and knowing how weak the volume is with piezo’s and a CTX are, I’d say look to consider the Kellyco LS Pelso’s. Would guess they’d be much better sounding with more volume.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'd check with the manufacturer first. They might repair for free, or, very reasonably.

Found out that a warranty card (for anything) isn't vital or important or can even be required, but only that you have proof of purchase (and date).

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some issues came up with warranty on items sold by detectorpro prior to the company being sold. Patriots are another good pair. Most used for deep diving may go that deep but what good is it if you can’t hear them? For the CTX.... speakers are a better choice.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you’re not using underwater? and knowing how weak the volume is with piezo’s and a CTX are, I’d say look to consider the Kellyco LS Pelso’s. Would guess they’d be much better sounding with more volume.

OK, Decided to go with the Kellyco LS Pelso's. They cost $129. Also working to send in the Gray Ghosts for repair. Always need back-up waterproof headphones. FYI As a temp fix, attached the Minelab headphones, that are not waterproof, to my CTX 3030. After a dry beach hunt, decided to wash
my detector AND headphones off with the hose, as I always do...with my waterproof headphones, anyways. Wish me luck.

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
I've had bad luck with Gray Ghosts also. Too bad that Harold doesn't make headphones anymore. Ed

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
I bought the Gray Ghost waterproof headphones in 2017, used them for about 2 weeks. In 2018 used them for 4 months and they started to go bad. Loss sounds/signals, cracking noise, low volume or none and intermittent. I traced the problem to a possible broken wire inside the headphone cable where it goes into the headphone jack on the CTX 3030.

In searching my written literature for trouble shooting, I discovered the Gray Ghost Warranty card that I was suppose to mail-in within 14 days of buying the Gray Ghost headphones, so I guess I'm out of luck regarding the lifetime warranty.

Was looking to buy another waterproof headphone manufacturer and came across two that look identical - one is sold on Amazon (Minelab CTX 3030 Waterproof Headphones Garden Accessory, made by Minelab) listed at about $93.00 and good down to 3 meters/10 feet (also found at Serious Detecting for $149.00, good to 10 ft.). These Minelab headphones have very poor reviews on Amazon. There appears to be almost identical Minelab headphones sold by others (e.g., Kellyco) for the Minelab CTX 3030 for $149.00 that are good to 200 ft. Without further info, I'll probably go with the the Kellyco headphones for $149.00 and good to 200 ft, but can't get over the poor quality Ghosts and hate to spend about $50.00 more for Kellyco- Minelab, if I don't need to. Any feedback appreciated.

Added Note: Just noticed that the Minelab headphones for the CTX 3030 at Serious Detecting ($149.00) are Koss, but still noted on website that they're good only to 10 ft, yet the same (?) headphones at Kellyco (not specifically "Koss") are good to 200 ft as noted on their website. Now I'm completely confused!!!

View attachment 1667012 [/QUOTE
Those things have a limited lifetime warranty. You just got them so you must have some type of proof of purchase or at least be able to tell them where you bought them. I own a few pair of GG headphones for different machines and have broken about three of them and never had a problem with getting them fixed and have never gotten a bill. And it was my fault, I broke them. You have to contact them, its well worth the postage. Their customer service phone number is 908-333-2942, call them.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can make a set of Pelso's for less than $25 if you have any basic soldering skills. There are videos on youtube.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Follow-up
Bought the L S Pelso waterproof headphones for my CTX 3030 from Kellyco and the sound is fantastic for an older guy with moderate to severe hearing loss. I am comparing the Pelso headphones with the Gray Ghost water poof headphones that I wore for a little over one season (about 5 months) and with the Minelab non waterproof headphones that came with the CTX that I have used a few times.

The L S Pelso headphones have great volume, sound and tone. The tone is crisp and sharp. They provide good volume (have volume set on “10” and Threshold on “14” on CTX). They are snug on the head but appear somewhat short if your head has low ears; the top band of the headphones could press against the top of your head. You can wear the headphones with the top band moved to the back of the head/neck if your ears are too low. The headphones plug into the 8-pin connector on the CTX and the headphone waterproof female jack appeared loose upon arrival but was easily twist-tightened. The headphone cord length is good with ample extra cord extension available.

I haven’t worn the new L S Pelso headphones in the water, yet, but they are rated to 200 ft. I’ll have them in the water in the next week of so and report back if any problems. Overall, I am very pleased with the L S Pelso waterproof headphones and would recommend them as a primary or secondary set of headphones for the CTX 3030.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, there are two different Pelso headphones... one set is Piezo, and the other is not. The piezo set will go to 200' but they are not as loud and do not sound as good as the non-piezo version.

I am betting you actually have the non-piezo version (which sound better).

The non-piezo version would probably not go deeper than a few feet without destroying the tiny plastic speaker cone.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Follow-up to LS Pelso headphones:
The PL Pelso headphones just died (crackling sound followed by silence in the water for 2 hrs!) after about 3 weeks use. Sending them back to Kellyco for repair. Luckily, just received my repaired Gray Ghost headphones from DetectorPro, so back to using them. Definitively need a good set of back-up waterproof headphones for the CTX 3030..quest continues...

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Not sure what the allure is?? I tried them twice. Both times I quickly realized that they were pieces of SH@T! I tried them for my CTX a while ago and I could hardly hear anything with them. Once I switched to the Minelab (Koss) yellow headphones they blew my ears out!! What a difference!! I explained my situation to the manufacturer and it fell on deaf ears. "Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do for you" was their response.
The second time I bought them only because I was urged by a reputable dealer. He told me they were "upgraded" and "better than ever". I bought these ghosts for my girlfriend's Equinox. She hated them immediately. She found them to be uncomfortable and had great difficulty hearing the tones.
Buyer beware!! I vowed I would never consider them again, especially with the "customer service" that I was provided.

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
Primary Interest:
Just wanted to follow up on that previous post. I hunted with my friend yesterday and his gray ghosts are giving him great difficulty as well. He also swings a CTX so of course I recommended the yellow Koss Minelab headphones.

Anybody else out there experiencing similar difficulties with grey ghost? If so, what, what do you consider a viable alternative? I would love to hear your thoughts. I have heard great things about Patriots . Anybody have any success stories on those? I'll be quite honest with everyone, I'm very tired of large companies taking advantage of consumers! If you make a product and ask good money for it then you better damn well stand behind it!

Happy Hunting everyone!

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
Primary Interest:

View attachment 1667012

LawrenceMDer, I would definitely go with the Koss headphones. I have had great luck with them. They are very loud, unlike the gray ghosts. I have actually had to turn my volume down on my CTX because they are too loud at times. When I had my gray ghosts I have the volume maxed and still had great difficulty hearing certain tones. I am convinced I was flat-out missing many signals! I would buy them from kellyco or another reputable metal detecting dealer. I have had great luck with Colonial metal detectors in Connecticut! Great customer service.
Sounds like grey ghost is taking a real beating lately!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread