Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Any tips or suggestions on flordia beach hunting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2018
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Minelab Equinox 600
    213 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    [QUOTE=CASPER-2;6047409]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadhumanizer View Post

Many have tried and gotten arrested - fined and equipment taken - there are eyes all over
    guys have gone out disguised as fishing boat - with lines in the water etc and had guys slip over the side and got caught
    others just walk in waist deep and locals and life guards will call the dogs on you
    You misunderstood... Stevemc said Bradenton didn't have leased waters and I said who could resist not detecting where there were 10 sunken galleons. Meaning he will probably end up in those leased waters. Over the past couple of weeks I have been questioned by strangers on the beach on where the allowable detection area is. One of them wearing a coin from the atocha. I am never on the dunes or go deeper than ankle deep.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1285 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hints at detecting west coast Florida beaches:
    1. Check water quality reports from the Florida Fish and wildlife conservation commission for Red tide status (https://myfwc.com/research/red-tide/..._term=campaign). In some parts, the Red tide is/was so bad that you couldn't even go to the beach. You'll be generally Ok in terms of red tide if you hunt above Tampa Bay.
    2. Always be aware of rip tides, they're a concern even in shallow water. Also sting rays around - shuffle your feet.
    3. A lot of the beaches in the area have been re-sanded in the past year or so. Ask locos about it because recently re sanded beaches don't offer much.
    4. Have fun.
    AARC likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Charter Member
    us
    “Fortune favors the prepared mind.” ― Louis Pasteur

Sep 2018
    Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora ds Las Nieves
    Garrett, Equinox
    67 times
    [QUOTE=Dadhumanizer;6047531]
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post

... Over the past couple of weeks I have been questioned by strangers on the beach on where the allowable detection area is. One of them wearing a coin from the atocha. I am never on the dunes or go deeper than ankle deep.
    Now you mention it, that happened to me around Pepper Park, the guy was very friendly and had similar questions. Oh yea, he had a Pirate tatoo on his chest. I thought nothing of it because of his NY accent. But he did seem to not know much and asked lots of questions (for a pirate). "cue X-file music?" possible. Happy Hunting

Charter Member
    us
    Sorry Honey, I can’t. I’ve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Ft. Myers FL
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, the Bounty Hunter and Deteknix Quest Pro are collecting dust.
    13710 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Were it me?...I’d forget the beach, and hit up permissions in the old parts of town.
    I was up there a few weeks ago, without my detector... and was drooling over the missed opportunities.
    Oddjob likes this.
    I invite you to visit my profile, look what I've found!

ELECT A CLOWN, EXPECT A CIRCUS

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
    750 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Any of the beaches around here are detectable. Red tide is back and we are well sanded in. Definitely need a wet suit if you are hitting the water.
    Debby

Mar 2005
    48 times
    Are the beaches down there raked? I know at Clearwater beach the have tractors that pull a barber surf rake behind it to clean the dry sands. Finds are few and far between where ever that tractor can fit.

Clearwater Barber Surf Rake

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	968f7a3bc84028f884365612e4513d88.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	1668416
    Was - Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut - w/10.5" Coil
    Now - Minelab Excalibur II - w/10" Coil

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    955 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    The larger most popular beaches in Sarasota are raked. As far as hunting farther out in the water........ not always the best during winter months. Sometimes the wet sand is better....more walker/runner than swimmers, long tide swings causes more targets to be pulled and pushed. If you are hunting the water..... watch the wave line, normally it will hit waist deep.. hit that flip up line.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links