Any tips or suggestions on flordia beach hunting?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm headed to Bradenton Floridia in a couple weeks to meet some family. I was please to see a couple public beaches along the coast. I've never worked the Flordia coast. Any tips or suggestions from all you 'old timers' would be greatly appreciated!

TexasHistory
East Tx

Lots of sunscreen!

What detector you using, what kind of hunting are you doing, dry sand, wet sand, in the water?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm headed to Bradenton Floridia in a couple weeks to meet some family. I was please to see a couple public beaches along the coast. I've never worked the Flordia coast. Any tips or suggestions from all you 'old timers' would be greatly appreciated!

TexasHistory
East Tx

welcome from East TX

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a MD that can handle wet sand. Need a beach scoop. Hit it 2 hours b4 low tide. Look for low points in the sand. Dig everything.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water is cold , get a wet suit

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Take a fishing pole, some great fishing, when you get sick of fishing, go MDing, and no worries, when MDing gets old, you can always go fishing.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Be careful if you go too deep in leased waters you will lose your equipment maybe more...[/QUO. Not around Bradenton. You will be fine. That is only on treasure lease sites. On the East coast. I live in Bradenton. What detector will you be using? I can give you a list of places. Depending on the machine. Water the other day was 68 degrees. And fairly clear. But we are getting a mild cold front tonight.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
One more thing, be pretty cool if you took a few trash bags too. Just saying, nothing wrong with leaving places better off than they where.

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful if you go too deep in leased waters you will lose your equipment maybe more...[/QUO. Not around Bradenton. You will be fine. That is only on treasure lease sites. On the East coast. I live in Bradenton. What detector will you be using? I can give you a list of places. Depending on the machine. Water the other day was 68 degrees. And fairly clear. But we are getting a mild cold front tonight.

How can someone resist being that close to 10 sunk Spanish galleons and not want to give it a shot?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can someone resist being that close to 10 sunk Spanish galleons and not want to give it a shot?

Many have tried and gotten arrested - fined and equipment taken - there are eyes all over
guys have gone out disguised as fishing boat - with lines in the water etc and had guys slip over the side and got caught
others just walk in waist deep and locals and life guards will call the dogs on you

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is where you find it right now. Winds have things moving..... water is cool enough you dont want to spend hours in it without a suit. Dry sand...... at least we have a lot more people than weve been having.

Dadhumanizer

Dec 5, 2018
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many have tried and gotten arrested - fined and equipment taken - there are eyes all over
guys have gone out disguised as fishing boat - with lines in the water etc and had guys slip over the side and got caught
others just walk in waist deep and locals and life guards will call the dogs on you

You misunderstood... Stevemc said Bradenton didn't have leased waters and I said who could resist not detecting where there were 10 sunken galleons. Meaning he will probably end up in those leased waters. Over the past couple of weeks I have been questioned by strangers on the beach on where the allowable detection area is. One of them wearing a coin from the atocha. I am never on the dunes or go deeper than ankle deep.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hints at detecting west coast Florida beaches:
1. Check water quality reports from the Florida Fish and wildlife conservation commission for Red tide status (https://myfwc.com/research/red-tide...ame=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=campaign). In some parts, the Red tide is/was so bad that you couldn't even go to the beach. You'll be generally Ok in terms of red tide if you hunt above Tampa Bay.
2. Always be aware of rip tides, they're a concern even in shallow water. Also sting rays around - shuffle your feet.
3. A lot of the beaches in the area have been re-sanded in the past year or so. Ask locos about it because recently re sanded beaches don't offer much.
4. Have fun.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
... Over the past couple of weeks I have been questioned by strangers on the beach on where the allowable detection area is. One of them wearing a coin from the atocha. I am never on the dunes or go deeper than ankle deep.

Now you mention it, that happened to me around Pepper Park, the guy was very friendly and had similar questions. Oh yea, he had a Pirate tatoo on his chest. I thought nothing of it because of his NY accent. But he did seem to not know much and asked lots of questions (for a pirate). "cue X-file music?" possible. Happy Hunting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were it me?...I’d forget the beach, and hit up permissions in the old parts of town.
I was up there a few weeks ago, without my detector... and was drooling over the missed opportunities.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Any of the beaches around here are detectable. Red tide is back and we are well sanded in. Definitely need a wet suit if you are hitting the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions