Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a chance and won the bid on a "Broken" Fisher 1280x Aquanaut detector with case and extras.The photos show a disconnected earcup from the headphones and info was that this item was for parts mostly,did not work when batteries were installed.The photos also show the detector to be very clean,no scratches,etc.Received it yesterday via UPS---but with 10 transfers enroute it did arrive undamaged---surprise,surprise.Snapped in a set of batteries,turned it on and found there was nothing wrong with the operation of this detector.And exceptionally clean.Fixed the headphone problem with a bit of glue and now I have a like new "used very little", 1280x-10 1/2. For a total of less than $200.:headbang:

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job! You followed a hunch that it might be a good detector from the disconnected earphone in the pic. Good eye!

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice grab! I've been trying to keep an eye out for broken detectors I may be able to fix. I've had a boost in confidence after more than a few fixes last year. Would be awesome to snag something at a good price.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I'd like to be able to "fix" my minelab 705...coil and cable are (good?)...the display unit melted in a house fire...I had my detectors sitting upright and that happened to 4 of them...My 1280 was in a case in the closet and somehow made it...I think...lol

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice deal
- I did same thing years ago on a CZ21 - Guy said he only used it a few times and did not like it - think he used it on dry sand (he said it never went in the water) and any one that has used one on land not hip or chest mounted knows you
wont last long - box is too heavy so think that is what discouraged him - he put it up for $500 - no one bid on it - some guys
thought there was a problem with it for that price - I ended up being only bidder - got it and it did not have a scratch on it
$1299 machine for $500

OP
OP
W

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper-2
My first water detector was the 1280X-9".It still works good after 18 years of use,love it.When you know a machine and how it operates,you know what to look for in a used one.I have been wanting a 10.5" and found another used one a while back,but it turned out to be in worse shape than I thought.There is hope and I'm working to repair it.Then,this one showed up on ebay--could not resist.Whish it had been a CZ21.You did get a good deal.Oh ya, you definitely need to use a chest or belt mount for this style detector.

OP
OP
W

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1280-X Wader I thought was bad,is fixed and ready to swim again.All I did was to remove the old broken non-waterproof headphones that came with it and replaced them with a pair of Gray Ghost Amphibians and resolder the battery holder clip wires.Works great.Now I have three water machines to pick from.The two 1280-X detectors I bought for parts,weren't junk after all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread