Someone tossed a bunch of pennies in the shallows...

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my local beach, wasn't finding much more than pull tabs and a bottle cap. Then i hit a target, pulled up one penny after another, 43 pennies, all in about a 5' radius. I was thinking that either someone thought it would be a cruel joke or maybe another detector swinger thought it would be a fun test but either way i enjoyed locating the coins and hearing the different tones for multiple coins, deeper coins and such.

I am new to my Excalibur II, I started narrowing in closer and closer with my new sand scoop too. It was a good lesson. No other coins in the area, just the 43 pennies, lol. I did find 2 shell casing heads from a pistol, I believe, those were in the dry sand. A split shot sinker, along with the pull tabs and bottle cap.

20190105_164127.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before my time it was called Deer island, growing up it was Green Key Beach, quite a few years back the county changed it to Robert K. Rees Memorial Park. It will always be Green Key Beach to me, lol. New Port Richey...

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my local beach, wasn't finding much more than pull tabs and a bottle cap. Then i hit a target, pulled up one penny after another, 43 pennies, all in about a 5' radius. I was thinking that either someone thought it would be a cruel joke or maybe another detector swinger thought it would be a fun test but either way i enjoyed locating the coins and hearing the different tones for multiple coins, deeper coins and such.

I am new to my Excalibur II, I started narrowing in closer and closer with my new sand scoop too. It was a good lesson. No other coins in the area, just the 43 pennies, lol. I did find 2 shell casing heads from a pistol, I believe, those were in the dry sand. A split shot sinker, along with the pull tabs and bottle cap.

View attachment 1667865

i have had my Excalibur’s for little over a year, and though I have not found that many penny’s in one spot, it’s amazing to me the vast number of penny’s lost relative to Nickels, dimes and quarters

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol.......How are things in New Port Rickety (aka God's Waiting Room)? Spent 3 years there as an Army recruiter. Other than the birth of my kids, worst 3 years of my life.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people were too cheap to not pick up coins accept pennies

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been to the same penny beach.. Congrats... your right if you go there today or tomorrow the pennies will be there waiting for you. Maybe we can get them all out of there one of these days. The sooner the better LOL

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Don't allow others to throw you off your game. If this find doesn't prove it to you then nothing will. This other hunter in this story was throwing his pennies back in his holes. I knew this cause the beach was nearly to the hard pan nothing soft. After a few pennies came from very soft holes I knew what he was doing. I came out victor in the end!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...y-best-jewelry-find-38-years.html#post2890900

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A scoop at the beach is soooo easy, I don’t see how anyone can complain

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
I've encountered the same situation on Lake Michigan where someone has thrown hands full of pennies in the lake and put a smiley face with a marker on each one. Needless to say it wasn't fun.

Last edited:

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
I’m going through this now. It’s on the beach, Ft Lauderdale. In 3 hours, total hunting time, I have picked up over 200 coins. Pennies, nickels and dimes, only one quarter. Feels as if someone is trying to mask a hidden treasure. However, it’s not by the water. It’s in the dry area about 30’ x 30’. I literally got tired of digging. Wore myself out. Put the coil down and it would just keep sounding off. Using a tdi beach hunter. Digging two to four coins at a time. Coins range from mid 50’s to present day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread