Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Someone tossed a bunch of pennies in the shallows...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    I was in the water detecting at a local lake about 20 feet from shore. ******* was on the beach in a chair and thought that I couldn't hear him with my headphones on. He was making all kinds of comments to the crowd on the beach about that crazy guy in the water and finally said he was going to throw a hand full of pennies to me. I stopped detecting, turned and looked right at him and said loudly " I THROW ROCKS AT PEOPLE THAT THROW PENNIES" . He got up, grabbed his chair and left with people on the beach laughing at him.

Oct 2018
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Terry - just curious what beach you were at. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days after new year on a more secluded section of Dania beach. I found a few twist wires from the tops of champagne bottles, and 20+ pennies at the low tide line close to the water. Pissed me off to no end, I just quit after # 20... I have a Tesoro Sand Shark PI detector, so I have to dig em all... lol

I was asking my friends if there was some stupid new year tradition to throw a crap load of pennies in the water
    holepuncher and Hawks88 like this.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1284 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hunting CWB a few years ago I recovered about 175, mostly cents, in a 9 sq yard area in about 4-5 ft of water. Spent the day (6 hrs) trying to clean them out so I could search for gold underneath. I failed. Several months later, a fellow metal detectorist told me he and another guy recovered about 700 coins, mostly cents, from the same area. Only thing I could think was that people were throwing them off the nearby pier...lucky me!
    holepuncher, RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Mar 2007
    Garrett AT Pro
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ran into a similar situation at a pavillion in Pymatuning State Park. Found 47 dimes in an area about ten feet in diameter. Kept hoping one of them would be silver, but all were clad from the 80's through 2000 and uniformly about two inches deep. I know people will sometimes dump a bucket of sand and hide change in it so small children can have a treasure hunt during picnics, but there was no sand anywhere near this spot. Still trying to figure it out.
    RustyGold and Hawks88 like this.
    Life: the adventure continues

us
    Dee Sherman

Aug 2018
    Florida City Fl.
    Garrett sea hunter 11
    76 times

57 Pennies

Quote Originally Posted by Terry In Florida View Post
    Went to my local beach, wasn't finding much more than pull tabs and a bottle cap. Then i hit a target, pulled up one penny after another, 43 pennies, all in about a 5' radius. I was thinking that either someone thought it would be a cruel joke or maybe another detector swinger thought it would be a fun test but either way i enjoyed locating the coins and hearing the different tones for multiple coins, deeper coins and such.

I am new to my Excalibur II, I started narrowing in closer and closer with my new sand scoop too. It was a good lesson. No other coins in the area, just the 43 pennies, lol. I did find 2 shell casing heads from a pistol, I believe, those were in the dry sand. A split shot sinker, along with the pull tabs and bottle cap.

Attachment 1667865
    Found 67 pennies in 2 hours at maimi beach on saturday
    Hawks88 and RustyGold like this.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, fisher gold bug pro.
    6794 times
    They all amount to dollars in time. I dig and save them all.

Mar 2005
    47 times
    Before my time it was called Deer island, growing up it was Green Key Beach, quite a few years back the county changed it to Robert K. Rees Memorial Park. It will always be Green Key Beach to me, lol. New Port Richey...
    A2coins and Hawks88 like this.
    Was - Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut - w/10.5" Coil
    Now - Minelab Excalibur II - w/10" Coil

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    Excaliber II with homemade straight shaft
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry In Florida View Post
    Went to my local beach, wasn't finding much more than pull tabs and a bottle cap. Then i hit a target, pulled up one penny after another, 43 pennies, all in about a 5' radius. I was thinking that either someone thought it would be a cruel joke or maybe another detector swinger thought it would be a fun test but either way i enjoyed locating the coins and hearing the different tones for multiple coins, deeper coins and such.

I am new to my Excalibur II, I started narrowing in closer and closer with my new sand scoop too. It was a good lesson. No other coins in the area, just the 43 pennies, lol. I did find 2 shell casing heads from a pistol, I believe, those were in the dry sand. A split shot sinker, along with the pull tabs and bottle cap.

Attachment 1667865
    i have had my Excaliburís for little over a year, and though I have not found that many pennyís in one spot, itís amazing to me the vast number of pennyís lost relative to Nickels, dimes and quarters
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.Ē-Mark Twain

us
    Sep 2016
    NC
    Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
    395 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    lol.......How are things in New Port Rickety (aka God's Waiting Room)? Spent 3 years there as an Army recruiter. Other than the birth of my kids, worst 3 years of my life.
    A2coins and Hawks88 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    20333 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    people were too cheap to not pick up coins accept pennies
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920I Sand S
    1475 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I have been to the same penny beach.. Congrats... your right if you go there today or tomorrow the pennies will be there waiting for you. Maybe we can get them all out of there one of these days. The sooner the better LOL
    Hawks88 likes this.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

us
    Dec 2009
    New Jersey
    CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
    221 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Don't allow others to throw you off your game. If this find doesn't prove it to you then nothing will. This other hunter in this story was throwing his pennies back in his holes. I knew this cause the beach was nearly to the hard pan nothing soft. After a few pennies came from very soft holes I knew what he was doing. I came out victor in the end!
    Are you Sitting Down? My best jewelry Find in 38 Years!

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    12343 times
    Metal Detecting
    A scoop at the beach is soooo easy, I don’t see how anyone can complain
    Hawks88 likes this.
    DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

us
    Mar 2014
    South Bend
    ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
    88 times
    I've encountered the same situation on Lake Michigan where someone has thrown hands full of pennies in the lake and put a smiley face with a marker on each one. Needless to say it wasn't fun.
    Last edited by SurgTech57; Mar 01, 2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Hawks88 likes this.

us
    Dec 2018
    S FL
    Whites TDI Beach Hunter
    43 times
    I’m going through this now. It’s on the beach, Ft Lauderdale. In 3 hours, total hunting time, I have picked up over 200 coins. Pennies, nickels and dimes, only one quarter. Feels as if someone is trying to mask a hidden treasure. However, it’s not by the water. It’s in the dry area about 30’ x 30’. I literally got tired of digging. Wore myself out. Put the coil down and it would just keep sounding off. Using a tdi beach hunter. Digging two to four coins at a time. Coins range from mid 50’s to present day.
    Blak bart and slider66 like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links