Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Someone tossed a bunch of pennies in the shallows...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2005
    17 times

Someone tossed a bunch of pennies in the shallows...

Went to my local beach, wasn't finding much more than pull tabs and a bottle cap. Then i hit a target, pulled up one penny after another, 43 pennies, all in about a 5' radius. I was thinking that either someone thought it would be a cruel joke or maybe another detector swinger thought it would be a fun test but either way i enjoyed locating the coins and hearing the different tones for multiple coins, deeper coins and such.

I am new to my Excalibur II, I started narrowing in closer and closer with my new sand scoop too. It was a good lesson. No other coins in the area, just the 43 pennies, lol. I did find 2 shell casing heads from a pistol, I believe, those were in the dry sand. A split shot sinker, along with the pull tabs and bottle cap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190105_164127.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	1667865
    Was - Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut - w/10.5" Coil
    Now - Minelab Excalibur II - w/10" Coil

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    15914 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (6)
    Who knows...sometimes people lose a handful of change. This one field a friend and I detect, well, someone saw us there one day digging. A couple weeks later we go back and see cigarette butts and dig holes we didn't do and whoever it was left about 15 cents in Zincolns as presents for us scattered about.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    31697 times
    Well rest assured... whatever setting you have it set to... it is definitely hitting on pennies.

Oddjob, RustyGold and Blak bart like this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Mar 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    Fisher F2
    77 times
    A lot of people just don't like pennies. I know a homeless man who throws them away. He even offered them to me. I didn't think it would be right to take them

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    5077 times
    I pick up every cent I find.....I guess you could call me a penny pincher or frugal but I do know this "Every Penny Counts" lol
    AARC, Oddjob, RustyGold and 2 others like this.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Feb 2017
    Santa Barbara,Ca
    Bounty Hunter Prospector Fisher CZ6A
    1130 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kingskid1611 View Post
    I pick up every cent I find.....I guess you could call me a penny pincher or frugal but I do know this "Every Penny Counts" lol
    Me too. A penny saved is a penny earned.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13716 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I find more pennies in fla. waters than any where else in the world
    most times I'm a sunrise and sunset hunter down there - but there have been times where I hunted all
    day 6 to 6 - usually when my Gf is not with me - whatelse am I gonna do
    it is good to do this if you can and see where the people go at high as well as low tides - tough
    to do when you hunt before they get there and after they are leaving - but a few times while doing this
    I hunted at a few primarily latino spots and found that some guys play some sort of game where they flip
    or flick pennies at an area or floating object to see who gets closest - have heard that they will do this for money
    there a few spots down there that are known as "penny beach" and I have seen guys doing this - I wear a mask
    and keep my head own a lot and at one spot thought they were shooting them out at me - but when I got past them
    they were still doing this a friend that lives down there confirmed that guys do this and its at least one
    reason that some spots are loaded
    AARC and RustyGold like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    11940 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Ya I have had guys throw handfuls of pennies down to try and frustrate me. I pick them all up if I can. One guy asked me why I pick up all the pennies. Simple answer is that each one is worth 1 cent, its money. If I bend over to retrieve a target and it's a penny......well I'm not gonna throw it back down after I picked it up. I got a wheat penny from a wise arse throwing pennies out in front of me once. Another time a guy threw a bunch of pennies out and as I picked them all up I found a gold wedding band. And yes I did make sure he saw it. The laughter turned to looks of amazement.

us
    Jun 2006
    TreasureTerrain.com
    XP DEUS NOX 800
    271 times
    I read some people do it to see where the tides are pushing them no idea if it is true or not.
    holepuncher likes this.

Apr 2013
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    I read some people do it to see where the tides are pushing them no idea if it is true or not.
    That's a really interesting thought. I've been thinking alot on how much the sand moves around, it can be pretty crazy. I've got a system when I know generally what beaches will produce in relation to the ones that are sanded in and quiet. It's really cool how depending on what direction the waves come from some beaches get sand dumped on them and some get "cleaned up" by the same waves just because of the breakwater and erosion walls that are set up, or the beach shape in general.
    RustyGold and holepuncher like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 720i Stealth Scoop
    5512 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Great test of your detector and your patience.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    12297 times
    Probably a disgruntled Penny pincher. Congrats on the finds.
    RustyGold likes this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

us
    Oct 2010
    Northern California
    MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
    543 times
    At some of the fresh water swimming area’s l hunt, I have found that competitors have salted it with zincoln pennies after hunting all day with minimal finds, I am friends with the lifeguards and they are the ones who told me. It would be great to catch them in the act.

Mar 2005
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Well rest assured... whatever setting you have it set to... it is definitely hitting on pennies.

Lol, that's the way I was looking at it.

Beat the heck out of pull tabs and only 999,957 more to go and this metal detector is paid for!
    Blak bart, AARC, RustyGold and 1 others like this.
    Was - Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut - w/10.5" Coil
    Now - Minelab Excalibur II - w/10" Coil

us
    D. Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Blue Xcals and CTX
    929 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Someone did that at a local beach for kids ..... i dug almost 100....ugh. But if you dont clean um out they move all over the place.... now thats a pain for future hunts.
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links