Someone tossed a bunch of pennies in the shallows...

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my local beach, wasn't finding much more than pull tabs and a bottle cap. Then i hit a target, pulled up one penny after another, 43 pennies, all in about a 5' radius. I was thinking that either someone thought it would be a cruel joke or maybe another detector swinger thought it would be a fun test but either way i enjoyed locating the coins and hearing the different tones for multiple coins, deeper coins and such.

I am new to my Excalibur II, I started narrowing in closer and closer with my new sand scoop too. It was a good lesson. No other coins in the area, just the 43 pennies, lol. I did find 2 shell casing heads from a pistol, I believe, those were in the dry sand. A split shot sinker, along with the pull tabs and bottle cap.

20190105_164127.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows...sometimes people lose a handful of change. This one field a friend and I detect, well, someone saw us there one day digging. A couple weeks later we go back and see cigarette butts and dig holes we didn't do and whoever it was left about 15 cents in Zincolns as presents for us scattered about.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rest assured... whatever setting you have it set to... it is definitely hitting on pennies.

:)

frazdad

Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people just don't like pennies. I know a homeless man who throws them away. He even offered them to me. I didn't think it would be right to take them

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up every cent I find.....I guess you could call me a penny pincher or frugal but I do know this "Every Penny Counts" lol

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find more pennies in fla. waters than any where else in the world
most times I'm a sunrise and sunset hunter down there - but there have been times where I hunted all
day 6 to 6 - usually when my Gf is not with me - whatelse am I gonna do :dontknow:
it is good to do this if you can and see where the people go at high as well as low tides - tough
to do when you hunt before they get there and after they are leaving - but a few times while doing this
I hunted at a few primarily latino spots and found that some guys play some sort of game where they flip
or flick pennies at an area or floating object to see who gets closest - have heard that they will do this for money
there a few spots down there that are known as "penny beach" and I have seen guys doing this - I wear a mask
and keep my head own a lot and at one spot thought they were shooting them out at me - but when I got past them
they were still doing this a friend that lives down there confirmed that guys do this and its at least one
reason that some spots are loaded

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I have had guys throw handfuls of pennies down to try and frustrate me. I pick them all up if I can. One guy asked me why I pick up all the pennies. Simple answer is that each one is worth 1 cent, its money. If I bend over to retrieve a target and it's a penny......well I'm not gonna throw it back down after I picked it up. I got a wheat penny from a wise arse throwing pennies out in front of me once. Another time a guy threw a bunch of pennies out and as I picked them all up I found a gold wedding band. And yes I did make sure he saw it. The laughter turned to looks of amazement.

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read some people do it to see where the tides are pushing them no idea if it is true or not.
That's a really interesting thought. I've been thinking alot on how much the sand moves around, it can be pretty crazy. I've got a system when I know generally what beaches will produce in relation to the ones that are sanded in and quiet. It's really cool how depending on what direction the waves come from some beaches get sand dumped on them and some get "cleaned up" by the same waves just because of the breakwater and erosion walls that are set up, or the beach shape in general.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Probably a disgruntled Penny pincher. Congrats on the finds.:icon_thumright:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At some of the fresh water swimming area’s l hunt, I have found that competitors have salted it with zincoln pennies after hunting all day with minimal finds, I am friends with the lifeguards and they are the ones who told me. It would be great to catch them in the act.

OP
OP
Terry In Florida

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rest assured... whatever setting you have it set to... it is definitely hitting on pennies.

:)

Lol, that's the way I was looking at it.

Beat the heck out of pull tabs and only 999,957 more to go and this metal detector is paid for!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone did that at a local beach for kids ..... i dug almost 100....ugh. But if you dont clean um out they move all over the place.... now thats a pain for future hunts.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the water detecting at a local lake about 20 feet from shore. ******* was on the beach in a chair and thought that I couldn't hear him with my headphones on. He was making all kinds of comments to the crowd on the beach about that crazy guy in the water and finally said he was going to throw a hand full of pennies to me. I stopped detecting, turned and looked right at him and said loudly " I THROW ROCKS AT PEOPLE THAT THROW PENNIES" . He got up, grabbed his chair and left with people on the beach laughing at him.

Kevin W

Greenie
Oct 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry - just curious what beach you were at. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days after new year on a more secluded section of Dania beach. I found a few twist wires from the tops of champagne bottles, and 20+ pennies at the low tide line close to the water. Pissed me off to no end, I just quit after # 20... I have a Tesoro Sand Shark PI detector, so I have to dig em all... lol

I was asking my friends if there was some stupid new year tradition to throw a crap load of pennies in the water???

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hunting CWB a few years ago I recovered about 175, mostly cents, in a 9 sq yard area in about 4-5 ft of water. Spent the day (6 hrs) trying to clean them out so I could search for gold underneath. I failed. Several months later, a fellow metal detectorist told me he and another guy recovered about 700 coins, mostly cents, from the same area. Only thing I could think was that people were throwing them off the nearby pier...lucky me!

Handyman

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ran into a similar situation at a pavillion in Pymatuning State Park. Found 47 dimes in an area about ten feet in diameter. Kept hoping one of them would be silver, but all were clad from the 80's through 2000 and uniformly about two inches deep. I know people will sometimes dump a bucket of sand and hide change in it so small children can have a treasure hunt during picnics, but there was no sand anywhere near this spot. Still trying to figure it out.

Deesherman

Aug 23, 2018
Palm Bay,Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
57 Pennies

Went to my local beach, wasn't finding much more than pull tabs and a bottle cap. Then i hit a target, pulled up one penny after another, 43 pennies, all in about a 5' radius. I was thinking that either someone thought it would be a cruel joke or maybe another detector swinger thought it would be a fun test but either way i enjoyed locating the coins and hearing the different tones for multiple coins, deeper coins and such.

I am new to my Excalibur II, I started narrowing in closer and closer with my new sand scoop too. It was a good lesson. No other coins in the area, just the 43 pennies, lol. I did find 2 shell casing heads from a pistol, I believe, those were in the dry sand. A split shot sinker, along with the pull tabs and bottle cap.

View attachment 1667865
Found 67 pennies in 2 hours at maimi beach on saturday

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions