Best time to hunt in the ocean.

Beachbum74

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark / White's Surf 11
I am new to the beach hunting and I have found that it is not as easy as I thought it would be. I thought I might could get some more input from you guys. I live in Myrtle Beach and I want to know when is the best time to hunt the water. I went at within 20 minutes of the low tide time and it seems as if I did not have much time at all before the waves was coming in high and they was brutal. I could not keep my footing and had no luck at all. I would like to some input when do you guys usually go and how deep do you try to start at. I was doing from the waist to my neck. Any advise I can get would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TN Beachbum

I try to go at least 2-3 hours before low tide and hunt at least 2 hours or more after low tide if at all possible.

If you check for the negative low tides and hunt them it is even better. Also many times an offshore sandbar will stop a gentle surf and leave it like glass for a couple hours while your hunting so look for those and hunt between them and shore.

If the surf allows it I hunt from water line to chest deep, and if you can find some holes that will really help. By hole I mean where you are walking maybe midcalf to knee deep and suddenly it drops to waist deep or more for several yards, the wider the better then back up to knee deep as you walk out to sea. The hole will fill in anywhere between a few hours to a few weeks depending on the size. We were working one in Daytona took several weeks to fill in. (The hole was about 25 yards wide and at least 40 yards long then).

You can also hunt the beach, what is wet sand now was under water a few hours ago.

Many times and I'm sure I'm not the only one, no matter how much you want to hunt in the water the surf just will not allow you. Usually about the 2nd or 3rd time I go head over heal I give up and move on to the waters edge and shore to hunt. This is when I break out my Sovereign GT with the WOT and start vacuuming the beach. ;D

Remember the number 1 rule.......Drowning is not an option in this hobby!..........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you check for the negative low tides and hunt them it is even better. Also many times an offshore sandbar will stop a gentle surf and leave it like glass for a couple hours while your hunting so look for those and hunt between them and shore.

This is a good start. Anytime you can get to the shore is the right time. Don't wait around when you can be sweeping the coil. There is much to learn and a good start would be to visit the Golden Oldie site at http://www.thegoldenolde.com/ Norm was a great beach and water hunter and I am proud to say I learned from him.

[size=12pt]It's Better To Have A Gun and Not Use It, Then To Need It an Not Have One!

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
This might be obvious, but if the wind is blowing out, the water will probably be a little lower and the surf a little smoother.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with the sandman. Any time you can get to the beach and sweep a coil is experience. You need to experience the beach through all tide conditions ;)

Good luck with the hunt & hope to be able to view some of your finds ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread