NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what matters most is where you get the most gold & sliver
I get 10x plus more in the water than I ever have in wet sand - dry sand or in dirt
but that's me

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with that question is this........ most people tend to have fallen into where they like to hunt and thus where they find the most gold. Gold can be where you find it..... learning that today needs to be a wet sand day NOT a water day ......or a dry sand day. Things change here in Fl...... during recent drop months in the water is the place to be... but say winter hunting where most are NOT getting in the water you have to learn when sand moved..... or you might do better hunting the dry sand. Reading a beach can be important based on the time of the year. Even ask someone who water hunts where they find the most gold....... you will get different answers to that. Learning a beach you hunt regularly can be very important...... especially if you have limited time. Changing it up based on what you see while hunting might give you options for the next day. looks at the targets you are digging and how deep..... you might be wasting your time.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was just interested in where members made there finds % wise salt water beach ...dry beach , wet beach , or in the shallow water ....all i can say where am at theres 10x more traffic on the dry part and 10x as much trash ...so most of my good finds have been in the water ...

I have found great finds in all three places. I agree that there is usually less trash out in the water than in the dry sand. Conditions change so much at the beach that there is no way to know for sure where the good targets are until you actually start to hunt. I know some guys who will only hunt wet sand and/or water....even when they're finding absolutely nothing, they will continue to hunt it. I like to hunt where the targets are, regardless of where. I'll do a zig zag pattern from sea wall to surf to try and determine a pattern of hot spots. Then hunt parallel to the water's edge following that "trough" down the beach. It doesn't matter to me if that "trough" is the blanket line in the dry sand, or on the slope, or in the water, if that's where the targets are. In the winter, sometimes the dry sand is totally dead and all the targets (both good and bad) are in the wet sand or water. Then that's where I hunt. As mentioned, "knowing" your beach is a key in finding the right spot(s). When hunting wet sand and water, you want to see changes since the last time you were there. Erosion can be your friend in the winter time. Sometimes the slope is the only place there are targets......sometimes there is nothing on the slope and the only targets are out in the water. If you're finding nothing but "soup" (soft mushy sand), you're probably only going to find can slaw, foil, and zinc cents, or you're real lucky on a fresh drop. Unless you get a particular kick out of those kinds of targets, look for some hard packed sand, a shell layer, or cobble for the better stuff.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the info.. i guess the the area your in the type of sand and the amount of trash is a big factor in planning your hunt ...where am at theres to much black sand and trash on the dry beach.. so i limit my hunt to where the beach is clean ....am between islands and theres seasonal sand tide in some places due to the current which i try to avoid ..so to avoid the trash i watch my tide chart for the best times of the month for the lowest tide days ...

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last year, 2018, I found 13 pieces of gold (11 rings, 2 dental gold). One found on dry sand, 7 in the water and 4 at low tide/wet sand.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Added note to above find figures; 50% of my detecting time is dry sand, yet only 1/13 gold items. Rest of time evenly split between wet sand/low tide and in water.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
One thing I can say with 100% certainty...Gold and Silver is most likely found where people have most likely lost it! :laughing7:

I've found both gold and silver in the dry, wet and water. This is a game of odds so where during the year are most people who lose things normally found? Down here during the cooler winter months, people hang out on the dry and walk on the wet. Rarely do you see them in the water. Summer is a different story. Example, just this month, I found a nice diamond ring in the dry sand...nothing in the wet. My very first gold ring during the summer was in the wet and I took home some nice rings and bracelets from the water...again during the summer.

Know your beach and depositor habits....that will increase the odds in your favor

Just the view from my foxhole...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed you are using a PI....... that really adds to trash and valuable time digging it. Talking odds..... there are 100 to 1 bad to good targets in the dry sand...... 30 to one in the wet..... and 10 to 1 in the water. But like Dan said..... know your depositors and what they do through out the year. Ive also found beaches have a tendency to have areas that i always check first because of sand movement, swells, and weather conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread