Unforeseen consequences

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been hunting with a x-caliber with a stock shaft for a number of years. Last year I decided to switch to an Andersen shaft for balance and weight. Although it is better balance, it it MUCH longer and thus does not fit comfortably in a small car. Unless I take it apart (which is a big pain) it extends from the back hatch all the way into the drivers area between the seats. Think next season I’ll switch back.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe you could turn it into a travel shaft with 2 well placed cuts and 2 shaft adapters. If you want to keep the shaft that is. Good Luck!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its what suits you. I dont prefer the S shaft.....off balanced so heavier, more water resistance, hurts my wrist over time......... but the biggest issue is going to be in repairs. IMO..... keeping those pods out of the water more is VERY important. Ive just seen more repairs needed with them underwater more. I do my own shaft and put the pods 4" behind the cuff......that keeps um out of the water most of the time making it better balanced with a long sweep and really cut back on my repairs. I rarely even take my shaft apart since most of my hunts are just a few hours drive.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a little bit of research you should be able to find threads discussing dyi straight shaft.
Made with aluminum shaft and a bar end grip. It can be made to be collaspable to a reasonable length.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread