Taking Metal Detector & Gear on an Airline and/or Cruise

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading on a cruise to the Caribbean next month, looking for any tips on packing gear?
Also curious about getting on the ship without getting any gear confiscated by ship security ? I assume detectors are fairly common, but not sure about taking military trench shovels, spades, sifters, or anything that someone in security would be concerned about as a potential weapon
Any feedback would be appreciated

Upvote 0
Nov 27, 2018
Baytown
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading on a cruise to the Caribbean next month, looking for any tips on packing gear?
Also curious about getting on the ship without getting any gear confiscated by ship security ? I assume detectors are fairly common, but not sure about taking military trench shovels, spades, sifters, or anything that someone in security would be concerned about as a potential weapon
Any feedback would be appreciated

Please send me what you find out. I have a cruise planned to the Bahamas in July and was wanting to do the same.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been on a number of cruise trips and never had a issue with the detector, long handle scoop, pin pointers, ect. Do not take anything that looks like a knife. Same for carry on luggage, even at Ben Gurion airport where they went through my stuff 3 times, and again with a supervisor, then helped repack everything. When flying with the detector in a gun case, they treated it like a firearm and I got a lot of questions. Breaking things down to carry on size was less hassle. The cruise trips were a few years ago, things may have tightened up, see the Jamaca post.

Last edited:

66Seabee

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
Woodland Park, Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800, AT Max, AT Pro, MXT, GMT, Goldmaster 4, Garrett Sea Hunter, Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have any experience with Cruise Ships but when on an Airline I put my Deus in my carry on bag with a copy of the manual lying on top. With checked baggage I lay my second detector (Nox 800) on top of my clothes and it's manual on top of that. Sand Scoop goes in checked baggage also, never had a need for shovels, etc since I'm only doing Beach Hunting. I always take 2 pinpointers in case one craps out. Have fun and hope you find some nice "Bling".

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Each cruise line has their own list of band / restricted items as do the ports of call. The below excerpt is from Carnival. Their full listing and exemptions can be found at: https://help.carnival.com/app/answer...ohibited-items
I suggest you search for the cruise line you are traveling on (restricted banded items on Carnival ships), read their entire policy, check the list, and make a copy and take it with you. (or the link on your cell phone)
Exemptions - Items for Port Use Only
The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.!!

Metal detectors

Please Note: It is the responsibility of the guest to check with the local laws of each port as Carnival will not be responsible for confiscated items by Foreign Governments.

ADDED: NCL Prohibited Item List link:
https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't take to Jamaica

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
MSC cruise lines will confiscate your equipment when boarding , they will give it to u at port entry but u have to turn it back in when boarding ship big hassle I would not use MSC cruise lines for this reason

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I can't speak for lesche blade type shovels on carry-on over-head luggage. I mean, ... sure... that has nothing to do with md'ing. And everything to do with post 9-11 society.

But when it comes to md'ing, and "cruise-lines", I question why an electronic device, such as a metal detector, might EVER have made it on to a list of prohibited items (or something that gets "dire sounding warnings" about "checking local laws"), IN THE FIRST PLACE. Anyone care to take a guess how this probably originated ?

And ... no ... it wasn't "holes" or "sea turtles".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've taken mine everywhere with no problems.....

Which simply means you didn't ask long enough, and high enough up the chain. With the right combinations of wording/phrasing. Shame on you. eh ? :dontknow:

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the feedback! Once our cruise itinerary is set I will scout out the ports for potential. I found a huge old Samsonite hard shell suitcase from the 60's for $3. Hoping all my gear and clothes fit in that for the trip. Also considering a large hard shell golf club case, but airlines probably jack up the luggage fees for cases that size.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck if they evr do confiscate it for security reasons do you get it back

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Pack your sand scoop in your luggage...not carry on. My friend thought she could walk on the ship with a large sand scoop in hand and had it taken. They gave it to her in ports but would not let her take it to the cabin. Meanwhile I had the same one in my suitcase! lol

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great time metal detecting on my cruise-Florida vacation! Found some nice rings! My $3 suitcase held my detector equipment and scoop + some clothes. I had to talk my way back on the ship going through security a few times after Port stops, but no major problems-it was the sand scoop they questioned. I packed all my gear in a backpack for the port excursions. I had the most success in Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas, but still managed a little bling in Cozumel and Florida. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738543.390679.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738582.809181.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738618.085130.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738640.085047.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738666.887786.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738717.547907.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738756.505820.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738772.773435.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738822.195001.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738908.505730.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738933.433262.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553738949.570754.jpg

Last edited:

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did your floating sifter fit in your hardshell case, as well ? Nice finds.............CONGRATS

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it actually did, but with all the coral I really did not need it at either Port.

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my travel setup on my last trip. The old thrift store, $3 Samsonite suitcase from the '60's easily handled my detector, sand scoop, my "finds" bag, pro pointer, sifter and plenty of room for rolled up clothes. Having my at pro user guide book on top helped get through security getting on the cruise ship. I had to call a supervisor over once about the sand scoop telling them I had 0 items on their "prohibited" list. They questioned the sand scoop, but talked my way into keeping it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553887622.094817.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553887636.985100.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553887657.418858.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553887688.412783.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553887712.131626.jpg

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Does anyone make a carbon fiber shaft that will break down to fit into airline luggage? I use a straight " Anderson " with the Xcall and can't figure a way to pack it. If not what is next best option?
Tek

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone make a carbon fiber shaft that will break down to fit into airline luggage? I use a straight " Anderson " with the Xcall and can't figure a way to pack it. If not what is next best option?
Tek
Yes, I believe they do. I have seen one in a post but I do not know where. Google search it. Good luck!

OP
OP
NowandThenTreasures

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it beneficial to call the airline you will be using. For instance, I recently flew Frontier Airlines and they REQUIRED my Equinox 800 to be in Checked luggage. They do not allow such devices as a carry on. Just their lithium battery policy. So glad I called 1st to avoid a hassle at the airport.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions