Madeira Beach

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The family and I will be spending a week at Madeira beach this March (2019). I plan on bringing my AT Pro with me and try to do some beach detecting. I don't have and obviously need to get a sand scoop. Any recommendations of a good place locally to get one? I would be looking to get an inexpensive one as funds will be tight and it would probably only get used once a year for the week I'm in Florida. I'm not opposed to buying a used one either.

Upvote 0

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree just for arguments sake. The AT pro won't serve you well in the water or very wet sand where you would definitely need a scoop. If you have a pinpointer and any small scoop or shovel to dig with you'll be fine. Without the pinpointer a hand held aluminum sand scoop is all you need around $20-30.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil Meyers detectors is in Tampa. But ... if you intend on taking the scoop home..... whats the problem in buying one and bringing it with you in the first place? In your case..... hand scoop or cheap throw away shovel might work.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input guys, I'm bringing the AT Pro because that's the detector I have. It will have to do and from what I've read it's not that it won't work in salt water just that it's not the best option.
I do plan on bringing the scoop home with me, I figure that I can probably get it for a much better price in Florida plus I only have to cart it one way. I would rather not get a hand scoop but one with a pole so I don't have to kneel down so often. If it turns out that that's all I can afford right now then so be it.
Thanks for the tip about Phil Myers Detectors, just checked out the site. Might have to go there.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t listen to advice against the Pro from a guy who doesn’t swing one.
I have an AT Pro.....
I’ve used it on the beach
You’ll be fine.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t listen to advice against the Pro from a guy who doesn’t swing one.
I have an AT Pro.....
I’ve used it on the beach
You’ll be fine.

I have had several hunting partners who had the AT Pro and AT Max and did not like it because it is so chatty in the water and on the wet salt sand, they eventually sold theirs because they got tired of the chatter.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sadly your hunting partners were not very proficient with their machine.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and TH, sorry I wasted my time responding to Zombies thread....
I’m on vacation right now, and not really interested in getting into a pissing contest about AT Pro performance on a beach.
Let the guy enjoy his vacation with the only machine he has.... he will have fun no matter what.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro worked good on West coast beaches for me...guys don't know how to set it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread