Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: West Coast black sand beaches

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Feb 2015
    Sailboat coastal British Columbia
    Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

West Coast black sand beaches

What works? Seattle to Alaska along BC coast beaches have lots of Black Sands. I have a new Anfibio Multi that (so far) has not been able to function very well in mixed beach sands (usual light colored sands plus black sand interspersed). Any such thing as a discriminating PI? (I am referring to shallow water both dry and wet salt water beaches mixed with black sand.. not diving). What specific machine is working for you. .... Thank you
    Last edited by seascene; Jan 26, 2019 at 08:52 PM.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1356 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The Anfibio VLF works at 5,14 and 20K Hz in multi-mode, at least that is what the manual says. Some "multi-frequency" machines actually have a selection among frequencies but do not operate at all frequencies, simultaneously. Other machines might work at one frequency but analyze multiple frequencies (fundamental and certain harmonics of the fundamental); not truly multi-frequency machines. I use both the Excal and CTX 3030 multi-frequency machines and both work fine in heavy black sand -- Sensitivity is obviously reduced but I have no problem in picking up dimes all day long at 12", because most single VLFs don't go that deep and can't handle black sand or salt water. Does the Anfibio like salt water? If not, I'd have to wonder about the "multi-frequency" aspect of the machine.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

ca
    Feb 2015
    Sailboat coastal British Columbia
    Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer
    63 times
    The Anfibio works fine in salt water beaches without black sands. I am very much on the learning curve with it. Some settings to deal with black sands have been suggested to me which I will try. Thanks for your advice about Excal and CTX.

Nov 2015
    16 times
    I'm on the west coast and I am lucky to get 5- 6 inches with my ctx in bad black sand, and I know the ctx pretty dang well.

Aug 2016
    492 times
    my x-cal seems to work for me
    AARC likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2 - VP 580
    38893 times
    Whats black sand ?

Heh.

Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    28970 times
    Anfibio has 3 selectable freqs, but it does not run all 3 at the same time, it is still running a single freq when detecting.

From manual.

" Anfibio Options
    This setting is present in the Anfibio Multi only.
    Anfibio offers 3 operating frequencies – 5kHz, 14kHz and 20kHz– to suit different target and soil types.

Based on the frequency selected, the detector’s detection performance for different types of targets will vary. The list below includes, but are not limited to, different types of targets that correspond to each frequency:
    5kHz : Large ferrous and non-ferrous objects / High conductive coins / Medium or relatively small targets in non-mineralized ground without iron trash / Ferrous masses and militaria
    14kHz : General use / Small coins / Different size coins in medium-highly mineralized ground
    20kHz : Small coins with different conductivities and thin large coins / Gold coins, rings, small jewelry , sheet iron, foil / Small targets in iron trash

To change the operating frequency of the device and select FREQ. from OPTIONS: Then simply change the frequency using the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons. You will hear the sound of the relay circuit; this is normal. At the same time, the progress bar will move back and forth on the ID bar and will stop when the frequency is changed.
    The selected frequency will be displayed in the messages section as follows: FLo for 5kHz, FMED for 14kHz and FHI for 20kHz."
    LawrencetheMDer likes this.

us
    Jan 2007
    Gold Canyon AZ
    ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
    560 times
    Black sand is common on beaches, not only on the West Coast. It can form from decomposed rocks containing ferrous minerals and also can form from decomposed volcanic deposits. Here’s a shot of the beach at Catalina in San Diego.

Here’s a link to read up on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sand

us
    Jan 2014
    AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
    AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
    146 times
    Black sand out west is challenging. Only thing that worked for me was PI machine. Friends with CTX or GT had no hope in thick black sand. I hunted beaches that could have inches of black sand. PI worked but still was a challenge. Friend with CTX lucky to get 1-2" depth.
    Stuarbuckle likes this.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1356 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've been using my CTX for 2 years and hunt in lots of black sand on the west coast of Florida (see pic).
    Today I hit such a beach and was pulling quarters (18), dimes (16), nickels (8) and cents (44) all day long (5 hrs) from 2 - 15" deep.
    Also, gold count this year (2019): 4 (3 rings and 1 dental gold)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black sand2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	1676751
    Pic shows black sand stratification reflecting accumulation over time (approx 6-8").
    AARC likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Nov 2015
    16 times
    Not the same as we got over on the right side buddy...

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2 - VP 580
    38893 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick K View Post
    Black sand is common on beaches, not only on the West Coast. It can form from decomposed rocks containing ferrous minerals and also can form from decomposed volcanic deposits. Here’s a shot of the beach at Catalina in San Diego.

Here’s a link to read up on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sand
    Quote Originally Posted by AARC View Post
    Whats black sand ?

Heh.

Rick... was your post a response to my post ?

OR were you just posting for forum members in an educational attempt ?

IF your post was for me... my post was only an attempt at a "joke" and not a serious question.

FOR... black sand is my friend
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Charter Member
    us
    Scott

Mar 2013
    huntington beach ca
    white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21
    192 times
    My Fisher CZ 21 handles it fine in Huntington Beach and sunset Beach where the sand is almost completely black. I won't say it handles it great, but it handles it okay. There are some spots where the black sand is so heavy that you won't get more than a couple inches deep. I had the multi cruiser at one point and experienced the same issues on the water. I went round and round with a guy on Facebook who insisted that this new anphibio was grabbing 14 in dimes in black sand. That is nothing but straight up hogwash. I told him if he could bring that amphibio to sunset Beach California and do a video of him digging a 14in dime out of the black sand, I would buy two of them. I have tried single frequency white's machines, Garrett, teknetics and makro, none of them are worth a penny on a black sand beach unless you're hunting the dry sand. On the West Coast that is. I literally spent days on end at the beach with the cruiser trying every possible setting to get that thing to work down at the water line on the West Coast. There's absolutely no setting on that machine that will keep it from falsing at the waterline. I had the tune that machine so far down to keep it stable that I could not pick up my 14 and gram wedding band 2 inches in the sand under the coil. The only machines that seem to have any success on the West Coast are the Fisher CZ 21, the Excalibur, the CTX 3030, just about any PI machine and the equinox.
    Stuarbuckle likes this.

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    966 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    You might take a serious look at the MDT 8000 that some of the guys have picked up in Calf. Single freqs.... 6.5, 9, 12, and 18khz. It has a black sand setting, and balances to both the sand AND the SALT WATER. They are getting real good depth from it out there in the black sand of S. CAL.

Charter Member
    us
    Scott

Mar 2013
    huntington beach ca
    white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21
    192 times
    I'm going to need to see a few hours of beach black sand video on this MDT 8000 before I think of spending any money on it. I can go online and find videos of the makro multi cruiser "apparently" working just fine in a saltwater Beach environment, but I know it's not true. Been there done that. The days of me shelling out $1,000 for a detector based on word-of-mouth are long gone. I'm all done spending lots of money in hopes of finding something better than what already works, simultaneous multi frequency machines. That or a p i a machine. I'm not trying to poo poo on anybody's parade, but I have been working southern California black sand beaches for probably 20 years now and I have tried many single frequency vlf detectors on these beaches. If you're planning on staying up in the dry sand, you have many choices. If you're planning on getting wet or working the water line, save yourself some time and money and leave the single frequency vlf detector at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links