West Coast black sand beaches

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What works? Seattle to Alaska along BC coast beaches have lots of Black Sands. I have a new Anfibio Multi that (so far) has not been able to function very well in mixed beach sands (usual light colored sands plus black sand interspersed). Any such thing as a discriminating PI? (I am referring to shallow water both dry and wet salt water beaches mixed with black sand.. not diving). What specific machine is working for you. .... Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Anfibio VLF works at 5,14 and 20K Hz in multi-mode, at least that is what the manual says. Some "multi-frequency" machines actually have a selection among frequencies but do not operate at all frequencies, simultaneously. Other machines might work at one frequency but analyze multiple frequencies (fundamental and certain harmonics of the fundamental); not truly multi-frequency machines. I use both the Excal and CTX 3030 multi-frequency machines and both work fine in heavy black sand -- Sensitivity is obviously reduced but I have no problem in picking up dimes all day long at 12", because most single VLFs don't go that deep and can't handle black sand or salt water. Does the Anfibio like salt water? If not, I'd have to wonder about the "multi-frequency" aspect of the machine.

OP
OP
seascene

seascene

Feb 14, 2015
Sailboat coastal British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Presently Anfibio Muliti. Sold my MXT sport, TDI pro and Macro Gold Racer Just got April 2023 Deus 2 and Cscope 4 Pi (England made)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Anfibio works fine in salt water beaches without black sands. I am very much on the learning curve with it. Some settings to deal with black sands have been suggested to me which I will try. Thanks for your advice about Excal and CTX.

Stuarbuckle

Nov 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the west coast and I am lucky to get 5- 6 inches with my ctx in bad black sand, and I know the ctx pretty dang well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anfibio has 3 selectable freqs, but it does not run all 3 at the same time, it is still running a single freq when detecting.

From manual.

" Anfibio Options
This setting is present in the Anfibio Multi only.
Anfibio offers 3 operating frequencies – 5kHz, 14kHz and 20kHz– to suit different target and soil types.

Based on the frequency selected, the detector’s detection performance for different types of targets will vary. The list below includes, but are not limited to, different types of targets that correspond to each frequency:
5kHz : Large ferrous and non-ferrous objects / High conductive coins / Medium or relatively small targets in non-mineralized ground without iron trash / Ferrous masses and militaria
14kHz : General use / Small coins / Different size coins in medium-highly mineralized ground
20kHz : Small coins with different conductivities and thin large coins / Gold coins, rings, small jewelry , sheet iron, foil / Small targets in iron trash

To change the operating frequency of the device and select FREQ. from OPTIONS: Then simply change the frequency using the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons. You will hear the sound of the relay circuit; this is normal. At the same time, the progress bar will move back and forth on the ID bar and will stop when the frequency is changed.
The selected frequency will be displayed in the messages section as follows: FLo for 5kHz, FMED for 14kHz and FHI for 20kHz."

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand is common on beaches, not only on the West Coast. It can form from decomposed rocks containing ferrous minerals and also can form from decomposed volcanic deposits. Here’s a shot of the beach at Catalina in San Diego.

343nq5h.jpg

Here’s a link to read up on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sand

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand out west is challenging. Only thing that worked for me was PI machine. Friends with CTX or GT had no hope in thick black sand. I hunted beaches that could have inches of black sand. PI worked but still was a challenge. Friend with CTX lucky to get 1-2" depth.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been using my CTX for 2 years and hunt in lots of black sand on the west coast of Florida (see pic).
Today I hit such a beach and was pulling quarters (18), dimes (16), nickels (8) and cents (44) all day long (5 hrs) from 2 - 15" deep.
Also, gold count this year (2019): 4 (3 rings and 1 dental gold)

Black sand2.jpg
Pic shows black sand stratification reflecting accumulation over time (approx 6-8").

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand is common on beaches, not only on the West Coast. It can form from decomposed rocks containing ferrous minerals and also can form from decomposed volcanic deposits. Here’s a shot of the beach at Catalina in San Diego.

343nq5h.jpg

Here’s a link to read up on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sand

Whats black sand ?

Heh.

:)

Rick... was your post a response to my post ?

OR were you just posting for forum members in an educational attempt ?

IF your post was for me... my post was only an attempt at a "joke" and not a serious question.

FOR... black sand is my friend :)

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Fisher CZ 21 handles it fine in Huntington Beach and sunset Beach where the sand is almost completely black. I won't say it handles it great, but it handles it okay. There are some spots where the black sand is so heavy that you won't get more than a couple inches deep. I had the multi cruiser at one point and experienced the same issues on the water. I went round and round with a guy on Facebook who insisted that this new anphibio was grabbing 14 in dimes in black sand. That is nothing but straight up hogwash. I told him if he could bring that amphibio to sunset Beach California and do a video of him digging a 14in dime out of the black sand, I would buy two of them. I have tried single frequency white's machines, Garrett, teknetics and makro, none of them are worth a penny on a black sand beach unless you're hunting the dry sand. On the West Coast that is. I literally spent days on end at the beach with the cruiser trying every possible setting to get that thing to work down at the water line on the West Coast. There's absolutely no setting on that machine that will keep it from falsing at the waterline. I had the tune that machine so far down to keep it stable that I could not pick up my 14 and gram wedding band 2 inches in the sand under the coil. The only machines that seem to have any success on the West Coast are the Fisher CZ 21, the Excalibur, the CTX 3030, just about any PI machine and the equinox.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might take a serious look at the MDT 8000 that some of the guys have picked up in Calf. Single freqs.... 6.5, 9, 12, and 18khz. It has a black sand setting, and balances to both the sand AND the SALT WATER. They are getting real good depth from it out there in the black sand of S. CAL.

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to need to see a few hours of beach black sand video on this MDT 8000 before I think of spending any money on it. I can go online and find videos of the makro multi cruiser "apparently" working just fine in a saltwater Beach environment, but I know it's not true. Been there done that. The days of me shelling out $1,000 for a detector based on word-of-mouth are long gone. I'm all done spending lots of money in hopes of finding something better than what already works, simultaneous multi frequency machines. That or a p i a machine. I'm not trying to poo poo on anybody's parade, but I have been working southern California black sand beaches for probably 20 years now and I have tried many single frequency vlf detectors on these beaches. If you're planning on staying up in the dry sand, you have many choices. If you're planning on getting wet or working the water line, save yourself some time and money and leave the single frequency vlf detector at home.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got a couple of days on a detector as well. My intention was to put out info he may not be aware of not sell you a machine Scott. I do my research as well because prying the money out of my hands ain’t easy either lol.

Stuarbuckle

Nov 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The east coasters just dont know the struggle of the black sand! Even with my ctx it turns into a dig all detector when in thick black sand if it's more than a couple inches deep, and that's listening for the faintessed chirps above all the ground noise. I wish I could afford a PI machine for these for winter hunting, those fallen down sandunes is where it's at but it's all pure black lol

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to sunset Beach yesterday, I actually did find a zirconium ring but very little else, maybe 60 some odd cents. The sand had been piled up along with lots of debris but the black sand was just gnarly in some spots. Had to swing the detector 3 to 4 inches off of the sand to keep it from falsing. I had a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2 that I used to use at sunset Beach, but traded it off with a makro multi kruzer to get my CZ 21. I sure wouldn't mind having the pi machine back for no other purpose than to hunt sunset Beach but I am still happy with the decision I made to trade it off for the CZ21. I now have a detector I can take to a freshwater Beach, a saltwater Beach or the park. Yes I take my CZ 21 to the park to hunt. I guess I'm going to have to wait till the end of summer with hopes of grabbing a couple of gold rings to replace the PI machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread