Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This diatribe is for my northern MD brothers who are sequestered in their homes, unable to metal detect because of a deep blanket of snow…and anxious to read anything about hunting the beaches of “warm” Florida.

Spring tide hit this week on the west coast of Florida and I warned my wife that I’d be out for the whole week metal detecting; working the low tide rock layer and revealing all the treasures at the bottom. Her response; she decided to renovate our kitchen - new appliances, countertop, sink, surround tile (and drywall) and don’t forget to expand the opening between the kitchen and dining room by 10 inches! [Can’t make this stuff up.] Oh, and let’s buy a new washer and dryer that is 27 inches wide that fits in a closet that is 26” wide (hint; remove drywall). But don’t worry; she said she’d help…

The first morning of Spring tide week I woke at 4:30am to walk the dog before heading to the beach at 5:00am. It was a beautiful morning; there was a full moon and the remnants of a lunar eclipse and red moon. When I got to the beach at 5:30am the surf was 4-6 ft and waves pounded the shore and a storm pushed the water toward shore and reduced the favorable effects of low tide.

Day1 and moon set.jpg
Moon set on Clearwater beach

A storm had passed the day before bringing heavy surf that pounded all the gold to the center of the Earth. As expected given the conditions, most of my finds on Monday involved light surfers such as dimes and light jewelry. After 4 hrs of hunting low tide, my major finds included a Sterling ear ring jacket, small crude silver ring and very thin toe ring of unknown metal along with the usual coins.

Typical beach finds.jpg
Day 1 Jacket and Crude Silver ring.jpg

The second day of Christmas, I mean Spring Break, errr Spring Tide week; Tuesday brought quiet surf and ideal metal detecting conditions for low tide hunting. Decided to travel to my favorite low tide beach and spend the day, actually next 4 days, digging through layers of rock. [My Stealth scoop handled it, but wasn’t happy and needs a little pounding-out.]

Exposed rocks at low tide.jpg

My Favorite low tide beach showing mass erosion due to rising sea levels combined with the effects of winter storms. These carry away beach sand exposing the underlying rock layer and, hopefully, also exposing goodies.

My 3 hr hunt on Tuesday awarded me with a beautiful 14k gold wedding band (4.83g, 12:17-18 on CTX 3030) with “Suzi” and “5-29-82” inscribed on the band. An important point here is that the ring rang-in at 12:17-18; prime Tab/Pull tab range! Hunter beware if you decide to ignore those pull-tabs.

14k Gold ring on Day 2.jpg
Beautiful 14k wedding band found at low tide on Day 2 of Spring tide week.

Excited by my gold find on Tuesday, I couldn’t wait to go back to the same beach on Wednesday to continue my successful hunt. Unfortunately, another winter storm came in on Tuesday night, bringing a front that pushed water into the shore and reducing the effects of the Spring tide, again. My 3 hr hunt yielded a few coins and junk jewelry but nothing worth picturing. Still, enjoyed the hunt as it kept me away from the kitchen renovation; scheduled all week from 12 – 9pm.
We often have to pay a price for doing what we love…

On Thursday, the remnants of the Winter storm remained and, again, conditions were less than ideal for low tide hunting. But, of course, I went anyway. The surf was high bringing in rushes of water to fill my holes as I fought against the tide and rising water. My 3 hr hunt yielded the typical coins and junk jewelry, but again nothing worth reporting.

Friday, my last [official] hunt day, brought nice weather and a great low tide. My 3 hr hunt resulted in several cool finds including a “Nothing is Impossible” .925 sterling ring, a large Tungsten men’s wedding band with multi-color center and a sterling loop ear ring.

Nothing is Impossible.jpg
“Nothing is Impossible” inscribed .925 Sterling Silver ring

Tungsten and Multicolor ring.jpg Tungsten and Multicolor ring.jpg
Large Tungsten Carbide wedding band found about 10” below the rock layer.

Spring tide was fading but, after the great finds on Friday, decided to hit the beach Saturday for one more low tide hunt. Weather was beautiful and the surf was small…as were my finds. Because I had hunted the same beach for the past 5 days, I think I really cleaned-out the area – the last day of my Spring tide week brought nothing worth reporting except for the usual coins, junk jewelry and lots and lots of fishing weights. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful morning. And, nothing beats metal detecting particularly when the other option is kitchen renovation.

Driving Home w 14k ring.jpg
Driving home in my pick-up truck carrying my Gold band.

Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
I think this goes right up there with some of my favorite posts. Well done, and thank you!

(And finishing up with the pickup truck carrying your ring? PRICELESS! :icon_thumright: )

Well done, sir!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's was great timing on hitting the beach, looked like some great conditions. And Congrads on the nice gold band!

"This diatribe is for my northern MD brothers", no need feeling any pain for us up North..little cold weather don't stop us..

Was out Monday, 10 degrees 26 mph winds, then 19.4 degrees Tuesday. The gold is calling hot or cold..

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lawrence spring tides don't start until MAY and JUNE.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good use of a truck. OBN, you do any good? I was at coin beach twice and got zonked.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lawrence spring tides don't start until MAY and JUNE.
Actually there is a Spring tide once a month. It is when the moon and the sun are right together, both rising and setting at the same time. It has a stronger pull, since both the sun and moon have pull on the tides. There will be one in a week or so. Right now the moon is over head around 6:30 am, every day it is 50 or so minutes later. Should be about a week or less away.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member