Chilly outing, last Monday 10 degrees / 26 mph winds, Tuesday 19.4 degrees, 3 golds

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Had some great conditions last week, a little cold but very well prepared. It's taken me several years to be able to say I can go out in Zero degree temps for five hours and leave feeling perfectly warm.

Last week temps and winds were crazy...Monday the beach I was hunting had very little wind chill since the winds were blowing out.
10 degrees, water temps 37 degrees.

42.jpg

Ice was falling off of my suit as I walked back to the car after 5 hours in the deep.

20190121_143002.jpg ..

The Booty from Monday...
Has to be a record for me, 42 nickels..then 2 gold rings, 2 silver Washingtons and 2 sterling's.

21.jpg ..

201.jpg ..

Then Tuesday was a very nice day, just a little chilly at 19.4 but winds were calm.

OBN-0001.jpg ..

When I hit the water it was a super low tide so I had to get out a distance off shore to get targets. They were every where and just a few inch's deep, but in oyster shells hard packed. I hate digging in that stuff, some targets took me ten minute to dig..

327203_12.jpg ..

The treasures....1 gold and a few silvers/sterlings

20.jpg ..

I learned something this outing, a few years ago I had dug what I though was gold earings, being two matching, from two different hunts, that's what I figured. I had got the pair..3 years ago!

21.2.jpg ..

But this trip there was a third! So this meant it was a bracelet or some type of chain.
Pieces ...2 from 3 years ago and the one from Tuesdays.

21.1.jpg ..

treasure and trash, learned my lesson this hunt also, got there at lowtide thinking it would be good for several hours, after two hours the tide was pushing me in, water was getting too deep to dig in safely. So I got chased out of the good area...:BangHead:
21b.jpg ..

Got another cold front coming in weds, sure slows things down but the cold gold is calling! Never let it rest!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, couldn't quite tell from the pic, do you wear a face mask ?

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding work and congrats on the quality recoveries!

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, couldn't quite tell from the pic, do you wear a face mask ?
Yes, see if I can find a picture.. I wear a full head 7mm neoprene hood then I have a neoprene face cover that is on a flap that pulls down so all that is exposed are my eyes, and I wear glasses. Only problem I do have is the glasses will fog up if I'm not careful and freeze. It happened a few weeks ago, and I had to hunt with out glasses. So I learned to keep them up high and breather thru my nose. Looks a little crazy but she is warm...
20180120_100754.jpg .. 20180106_133941_1515264712006.jpg

Last edited:

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice job, brother! Good for you. I've decided that Im good detecting the warm water. Last year was my last for winter. I got in a few weeks ago to test out some new gear and made that decision. I always said that if detecting became unenjoyable, I'd stop. Well, I can truly say I do not enjoy the cold water or the prep it takes to get out there. I even stopped wearing shorts in winter (something I've always done)! See you in the spring!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
I particularly like the pee valve although at those temps not sure if I could clear the material [emoji3]

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
May I ask were u got that outfit ? Nice work

Thank You...

It's a Bare Nex Generation, rear zipper. Got it off ebay, (this is one of 3 Bare Nex gen drysuits I own), each was very cheap since they needed repairs. Each is setup for the seasons of the year, since some spots here are so polluted, it's needed for one's safety. Since I'm handy at this water proofing stuff, I redid several things to fit my needs on each for the seasons. This one I fitted with SI tech dry gloves, light monkey "P" valve, "Muck Arctic pro" boots, good down to -40F. That is the outer, the undergarments are the secret to staying warm/dry, and not being to buoyant. The best part about the Next gen, it is rear zippered, front zipper suits will fail in a few years from the stress of constant digging. Killed a DUI SL 350 suit like that, replacing a zipper is very costly, close to 350.oo. So it was cut up for parts. I just replaced one of the zippers myself on a suit I got for 65.00, the install cost me 140.oo for material I needed to do the job.

21b.jpg ,, 21c.jpg

21e.jpg .. 21d.jpg Finished, but took me about 4 hours.

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Joe nice hunt! Love the gold.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Great post. See the need for a dry suit if I ever travel north. And also great time to hunt. Good luck and fortune.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You A R E the man Joe. Even your outfit makes me cold....... dang. Now thats passion guys. Excellent hunt as always Mr. Joe. Did i see somewhere you had a push button PP switch on one of your Xcal? Hang in there buddy......couple of more months and you will be able to at least remove the mask.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the finds OBN.

That is quite the set up you have. Good luck and be safe!

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as ur warm thats all that matters while ur enjoying this great hobby. Two things i don't like one is being cold the other is being wet and cold

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure do take this hobby seriously and you were rewarded nicely. Congrats on all the finds.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow! You are really ready for the cold. You did find a lot too. Amazing day and so cold too! My hero!

OP
OP
OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as ur warm thats all that matters while ur enjoying this great hobby. Two things i don't like one is being cold the other is being wet and cold

Me too! I hate the cold and I hate being cold when hunting, then mixing wet into the equation ...No fun........But I seen it was possible several years ago to be warm and dry, so after a couple cold winters of working thru the different setups, I now have the option to go when conditions allow. Some of the best lowtides are during the winter and being able to take advantage of them is a great opp. I was out last Friday evening and temps were not to bad, in the mid 30's. I got to the beach around 2pm and hunted till it was dark, at 6pm. I did not want to leave, very peaceful, having fun and it was warm for me.
21a.jpg .. 21b.jpg ..cleaned

Last edited:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admire your dedication....from my warm beach in Malibu.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread