Excal Chatter and Coil Size
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stevemc
  • 2 Post By dewcon4414
  • 1 Post By cudamark

Thread: Excal Chatter and Coil Size

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast Of Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920
    1689 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Excal Chatter and Coil Size

I was wondering if anyone has noticed more chatter on the Excal with a larger coil in the water? I have the Detech 13 inch on a modified Excal and also a 10x12 SEF. Has anyone used either of these in the water and noticed more chatter than the standard 10 inch coil that comes with the Excal?
    Last edited by slider66; Feb 20, 2019 at 06:26 PM.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
    248 times
    Shipwrecks
    Yes I have a blue sword Excal. First year. It now has a SEF 15” by 12” coil. Very talkative! You have to turn down the sensitivity to the point that you can stand the “talking”. Or turn down the threshold, but you still need to hear the ground. I also have an Excal 11 and it does not get so talkative. Just about any metal detector that I have put a larger coil on hasbeen much more “ receptive”. So you should expect to get more noise and more ground noise, cell phone noise, and power line noise. PI or VHF they will get more receptive. More like a big antenna.
    Last edited by stevemc; Feb 20, 2019 at 08:39 PM.
    slider66 likes this.

us
    UABFWSS

Feb 2010
    Indiana/Michigan border
    ~Minelab Equinox 800's~ Predator Tools , Fiskars, Xtreme scoop
    297 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Put a X12 on an excal long ago, was certainly a lil more chattery, shifted to growl tone more often and reacted more to passing waves than the stock 10 did, fresh water, lots of black sand.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5546 times
    2019.....Gold rings..110....Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 269
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The detech ULT13 is a Hot coil, very noisy in the water. ON the 10 x 12 SEF (and larger SEF's) I would check the wiring on that, I seen "Many" a few years ago that were wired wrong. And they were wired wrong because there was a incorrect diagram out there. They were fine on the dry and wet sand but once they hit the water. You could not hunt with them they were so noisy. My guess is there were several hundred done wrong since a dealer in florida used the first diagram pictured.

Wrong wiring on the SEF 10 x 12, Diagram

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minelab Excal Coil Mod Matrix SEF WOT S-12 drs v30May11.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	775.0 KB 
ID:	1683380

Then the Correct....Black..Gray..was switched and they worked correct.

Name:	OBN0101 (2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	1683375
    Last edited by OBN; Feb 21, 2019 at 08:56 PM.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Aug 2016
    866 times
    I put on a wot and it talks alot especially when swinging in water with some current

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1070 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    A larger coil almost always requires a lower sensitivity in or near the salt water. Much like a smaller coil can run hotter than a standard. Way to often people like to run their machines HOT...... to HOT. The ole story applies........ fog and running high beams. What good is running it hot hoping for depth and ending up having to process more material and in the long run loosing depth?
    slider66 and LawrencetheMDer like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast Of Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920
    1689 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by OBN View Post
    The detech ULT13 is a Hot coil, very noisy in the water. ON the 10 x 12 SEF (and larger SEF's) I would check the wiring on that, I seen "Many" a few years ago that were wired wrong. And they were wired wrong because there was a incorrect diagram out there. They were fine on the dry and wet sand but once they hit the water. You could not hunt with them they were so noisy. My guess is there were several hundred done wrong since a dealer in florida used the first diagram pictured.

Wrong wiring on the SEF 10 x 12, Diagram

Name:	Minelab Excal Coil Mod Matrix SEF WOT S-12 drs v30May11.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	775.0 KB 
ID:	1683380

Then the Correct....Black..Gray..was switched and they worked correct.

Name:	OBN0101 (2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	1683375
    If you were going to put a water coil on what would you recommend? Is there a coil other than the stock coil you would use?
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7455 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I find the larger coils are noisier in Disc for sure, but, in pin point/all metal, they seem about the same as the stock 10". The stock 8" is quieter in both modes. Of the large ones I'm using (15" Coiltek WOT and 15" NEL Attack) I like the NEL best. Seems more stable to me, pin points better, and is slightly bigger than the WOT, even though they're both advertised as 15".
    slider66 likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Sponsored Links