Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes I have a blue sword Excal. First year. It now has a SEF 15” by 12” coil. Very talkative! You have to turn down the sensitivity to the point that you can stand the “talking”. Or turn down the threshold, but you still need to hear the ground. I also have an Excal 11 and it does not get so talkative. Just about any metal detector that I have put a larger coil on hasbeen much more “ receptive”. So you should expect to get more noise and more ground noise, cell phone noise, and power line noise. PI or VHF they will get more receptive. More like a big antenna.

Last edited:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a X12 on an excal long ago, was certainly a lil more chattery, shifted to growl tone more often and reacted more to passing waves than the stock 10 did, fresh water, lots of black sand.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The detech ULT13 is a Hot coil, very noisy in the water. ON the 10 x 12 SEF (and larger SEF's) I would check the wiring on that, I seen "Many" a few years ago that were wired wrong. And they were wired wrong because there was a incorrect diagram out there. They were fine on the dry and wet sand but once they hit the water. You could not hunt with them they were so noisy. My guess is there were several hundred done wrong since a dealer in florida used the first diagram pictured.

Wrong wiring on the SEF 10 x 12, Diagram

Minelab Excal Coil Mod Matrix SEF WOT S-12 drs v30May11.jpg

Then the Correct....Black..Gray..was switched and they worked correct.

OBN0101 (2).jpg

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put on a wot and it talks alot especially when swinging in water with some current

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A larger coil almost always requires a lower sensitivity in or near the salt water. Much like a smaller coil can run hotter than a standard. Way to often people like to run their machines HOT...... to HOT. The ole story applies........ fog and running high beams. What good is running it hot hoping for depth and ending up having to process more material and in the long run loosing depth?

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The detech ULT13 is a Hot coil, very noisy in the water. ON the 10 x 12 SEF (and larger SEF's) I would check the wiring on that, I seen "Many" a few years ago that were wired wrong. And they were wired wrong because there was a incorrect diagram out there. They were fine on the dry and wet sand but once they hit the water. You could not hunt with them they were so noisy. My guess is there were several hundred done wrong since a dealer in florida used the first diagram pictured.

Wrong wiring on the SEF 10 x 12, Diagram

View attachment 1683380

Then the Correct....Black..Gray..was switched and they worked correct.

View attachment 1683375

If you were going to put a water coil on what would you recommend? Is there a coil other than the stock coil you would use?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the larger coils are noisier in Disc for sure, but, in pin point/all metal, they seem about the same as the stock 10". The stock 8" is quieter in both modes. Of the large ones I'm using (15" Coiltek WOT and 15" NEL Attack) I like the NEL best. Seems more stable to me, pin points better, and is slightly bigger than the WOT, even though they're both advertised as 15".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread