Offseason RI Beach Access

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would really like to hunt some of the RI beaches from now until Memorial Day, both in & out of the water. Was in South Kingstown yesterday at the Penguin Hunt sponsored by Awesome Relics New England and had a great time. I noticed police patroling the parking lot during the hunt and the gates which I'm assuming are closed typically. Just wondering where I can find out more information on offseason access to these beaches ? Does the State close and lock the parking areas until Memorial Day. Just wondering, before I make the 2 hour drive again. Thank you !!

Upvote 0

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac,EQ 800,TDIpro,TDI beachunter,excal II OBN pp mod,excal 800 blue OBN pp mod,excal blue 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Curt you can go into that beach this time of year also there is a town beach a couple miles from where the penguin hunt was I hit those beaches when I go on vacation every summer

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
There are no restrictions on the RI beaches. Beaches are open year round. Even in the summer time, they are open at night. Just don't get caught with alcohol, no fires, and do not sleep on the beach. You could get arrested for those offensives.

Now for water hunting, depending upon which beaches, they can be very dangerous during the winter months. Two steps in can be over your head. The waves will dig troughs and it could be in one spot fine but further down the beach can be dangerous. I was at the Penguin Dig yesterday and Scarborough is a very flat beach year round. The beaches that face the Altantic are usually the ones you need to proceed with caution.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never had a problem in the water for the last 20 yrs no matter what time of the year - but i suit up so i can go under if i have to
7mm boots suit and gloves
waders is another story though

this is blizzard at scarborough

OP
OP
C

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no restrictions on the RI beaches. Beaches are open year round. Even in the summer time, they are open at night. Just don't get caught with alcohol, no fires, and do not sleep on the beach. You could get arrested for those offensives.

Now for water hunting, depending upon which beaches, they can be very dangerous during the winter months. Two steps in can be over your head. The waves will dig troughs and it could be in one spot fine but further down the beach can be dangerous. I was at the Penguin Dig yesterday and Scarborough is a very flat beach year round. The beaches that face the Altantic are usually the ones you need to proceed with caution.

OK, got it, the Beaches are open, but how about the parking areas adjacent to the beaches........are the barriers open during the day ?

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac,EQ 800,TDIpro,TDI beachunter,excal II OBN pp mod,excal 800 blue OBN pp mod,excal blue 1000
Primary Interest:
They should be open curt

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Ive never had a problem in the water for the last 20 yrs no matter what time of the year - but i suit up so i can go under if i have to
7mm boots suit and gloves
waders is another story though

this is blizzard at scarborough
I use a,DUI drysuit in winter works great once you figure out how to get in and out of it lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... but how about the parking areas adjacent to the beaches........are the barriers open during the day ?

They should be open curt

If it's anything like our beaches: There are frequently parking lots which might be "closed at sunset" or at various times. But that doesn't mean the beach itself is closed. You might just have to park @ some nearby street, and walk the remaining distance.

There is no shortage of late night couples on romantic walks, or dog-walkers, etc...., who walk the beach after sunset. So I consider my hobby to be just as harmless and innocent :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos Casper-2! :occasion14:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most RI beaches will habe somewhere for you to park for the day without any hassle. All the pay to park lots are open to the public during the winter.

OP
OP
C

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent, just what I needed to know, thank you Iffy !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread