Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Hunted for 50 hrs in the past month (8 outings); water, wet sand and dry sand – it didn’t make a difference. Kept thinking the detector had died given the stone silence…and it, or more accurately, my new headphones had died; but another story. In the whole month I found about 2 coins/hr (50% cents) and nothing much else except for a few lonely, small, sterling ear rings. That’s how metal detecting goes – you’re hot than you’re not.

The dry spell finally broke 3 days ago when I found this heavy (32g) 20” Italian sterling necklace with Figaro links. I even found it in dry sand! I don’t find many necklaces and so this one was a real treat.

Finds 022219.jpg
silver figaro chain.jpg

A little time later found this sterling ring with blue stone inlay. Wife likes it but it is encrusted a little and needs lots of cleaning.

Silver ring w blue inlay 022219.jpg

Came across a young woman with a VLF in wet sand and she was doing the pendulum swing. At the lowest point in her swing, the coil was about 7-8” from the ground – the lowest point. I tried to explain to her that, with that type of detector, she would have better luck in the dry sand where false signals occur much less and to keep the coil closer to the ground. She said she had 5 minutes left with the detector (she was renting it) and that false signals were not a problem. [Are you surprised given the height of the coil from the wet sand?] I wished her luck and moved on…

Today wanted to hit the water, but surf was too rough, so I hit the wet sand most the day (5 hrs) with my CTX 3030 w 17” coil. About 2 hrs into my hunt I came across a 12:12 signal, suggesting a good target. In my first scoop I extracted a quarter, but became confused and disoriented because a 12:12 signal is never a quarter. Regaining my composure, I rescanned the hole and found that the 12:12 target was still there. The next scoop of sand revealed this really beautiful, 10k gold and stainless steel Gent’s wedding band (8.8g). It is so large (size 13) that it even fits my arthritic fingers.

Gold and SS wedding ring 022519.jpg

The ring is mostly SS and has a band of 10k gold with feathering around the center. It is marked stainless steel/10k gold. This ring is the first that I have found with a combination of SS and 10k gold. I find it interesting that although the gold comprises a rather small portion of the ring, it seems to have dominated the FE/CO CTX 3030 coordinate system. I find (10-18k) gold at a FE:CO coordinate of 12:12 and at surrounding CO numbers (5-14). SS often has an FE of 16-20 and the CO number varies widely (17-44) depending on the specific target. Given the predominance of SS in the ring, I would have (wrongly) guessed that the ring would have reflected more of a SS coordinate rather than that typical of gold.

I can’t close without showing yet one more Cremation tag; this one from the C & S Crematory. I haven’t been able to identify the location of the crematory. As usual, it is headed back to the Gulf – its final resting place. Keeping cremation tags is baaaad luck.

C and S Crematory tag 022119.jpg

Happy Hunting

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking ring. Congrats on all the nice finds. Well done.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt. Sometimes its just a waist of time to try and help...... its better off to just chuckle knowing its one less person with a detector you dont have to worry about lol. Man dont ya just hate all this SS and TI UPGRADES? Ive got a few of those...... i end up cutting off the gold band for scrap...... and wonder just how much that person might of paid. I think those SS gold plated are the worst.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go out 5 to 6 times with zip then boom but I love it every time .well done

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to hang tough in the slump...the MD'ing Gods can be fickle:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions