Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I was finishing up a 5 hr metal detecting hunt on dry sand and was headed back to the truck. I was tired. The beach gave up plenty of coins (37), fishing weights (7), an elongated cent, a button with a crown and crossed arms (see below), 3 mini cars and even a small chain with pendant to keep me entertained. I also dug about as many junk targets that wore me down.

Finds 022719.jpg

As I lumbered back to the truck I faced a split in the “road”. I could go right; turn off my detector and walk a smooth blacktop path directly back to my truck. Or, I could go to the left; drag my detector over a long row of piled beach rocks that would be near impossible to dig into let alone walk over. Of course I chose to go to the left. Duh!

I was swinging my 6lb 4oz detector half-heartedly and carrying my scoop over my other shoulder as I moved over the rough terrain toward my car when I got a hopeful 12:26 reading on my CTX 3030. I started to dig into the beach rocks each of which was the size of a fist and after 4-5 attempts received a signal from my scoop poop and out came a pull-tab. But the pull-tab didn’t register 12:26? A rescan of the hole revealed that the 12:26 target was still in the hole. Two more attempts, I dumped my scoop and out came this gold band. Really? It wasn’t just another piece of aluminum or pull-tab remnant? My very last target for the day - a gold ring!

Gold ring 2 of 3 diamonds 022719.jpg

The gold band (7.1g) is marked 14K and has the date 5-5-73. One of the diamonds is missing and two remain. Given where I found the band, I would not be surprised if it had been lost since the 1980s. It was most probably washed-up last year in the hurricane, along with all the rocks. I’m sure it took a real beating and was left with a “black eye”.

I’ve found 5 gold rings this year, so far, and I’m not new to this pursuit. But there is something about this ring that just makes me shake my head in disbelief – I can’t believe I found this ring, where I found it and when I found it. Heck, half-dozen decisions lead me to the ring and any one of them could have also lead me astray. I guess being a little compulsive about metal detecting sometimes pays off.

British Button 022719.jpg
Button (1/2”) found metal detecting with crown at top of crossed arms. There is a lion on the left. Age unknown. Would appreciate button comments.

Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
WTG! Nice save!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible day Congrats! The low conductor numbers for gold forced me to dig over 150 pulltabs last year in an open field and I was rewarded with two gold rings. Love it when I find those small areas littered with the tabs!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As we all know, the best stuff is on the way back to the truck. Sometimes UNDER the truck! I was digging a CW camp and there was a hut under where the truck parked. It got dug up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Great play by play , pix and story . Congratz on the gold !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great post and a big hunk ol gold I read alot of posts where. great stuff is found on the way to the car

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a good day. :occasion14:Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats, nice story!

Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

brncofan

Jul 30, 2013
southwest ,CT
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac,EQ 800,TDIpro,TDI beachunter,excal II OBN pp mod,excal 800 blue OBN pp mod,excal blue 1000
Primary Interest:
Wow that is a very nice ring well done congrats

mudkicker

Mar 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600//Tek-Point Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I still havent found gold...

But...This type of thing has happened to me twice now. Once, I got out of the car and turned my gear on and started walking toward my friend and the detector went off. I wasn't even really swinging...it was just on and getting things in order. Anyhow, I dont know why other than I was pretty new to detecting, but I dug the signal. Out popped a US belt buckle from the Civil War...it still has the hook and puppy ears still on it. My buddy was so mad...it was his permission and he must have walked over that spot a dozen times.

Another time we were leaving an old picnic grove and I have a habit of swing every last inch to the car especially if I havent really had a good day detecting. On the way back along the edge of the area where people would park back in the day, I got a sweet signal. I dug it and a Walker Half popped out. Last dig of the day.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found it because everyone else also assumed they could not dig there but you tried anyway.

well done!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
After a long day on the beach it gets to feel like a desert. Congratulations on the stellar find! You deserved it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions