Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Best sand scoop for hunting in ocean

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    gb
    Paul Martin

Feb 2015
    Scarborough, England
    Minelab Equinox 600/Garrett Sea Hunter mk 2/Deteknix Xpointer pro pointer.
    164 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    Lawrence you need a more robust scoop. May I recommend this:

Attachment 1696552
    He had one of those and broke that too...
    RustyGold and LawrencetheMDer like this.

ua
    Nov 2008
    Odessa
    Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BowieConnection View Post
    Can some of you more experienced folks help me with what kind of long handled sand scoop I should buy for beach hunting? Going to be for mostly hunting ocean beaches in/out of water. Thanks in advance! I really enjoy having you seasoned vets sharing what you’ve learned!
    Hi.
    you need a stainless steel scoop 2 mm = 14 gauge with a long handle (46-48 ")
    I'll offer you a Stavr scoop of 3 models to choose from:
    EVROEXCAVATOR-2 V.33 sharp nose and 1/2 "hole, universal.
    EVROEXCAVATOR-2 V.22 round nose and 1/2 "hole, universal.
    Monstrik-9 sharp nose for severe conditions (stones, clay) hole 3/8 "
    You can describe your soil conditions and I will prompt you more accurately to make a choice.

look www.stavrscoop.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	364.9 KB 
ID:	1697124
    Ruslan.
    Last edited by stavr; Mar 30, 2019 at 07:11 AM.
    Excalibur 10" coil .since 2001.
    Explorer XS .since 2001.coil 10'',detech 10x14'',detech 4,5x7'',coiltek 15'',coiltek 12x8 platypus
    Stavr's water sand scoop Evroexcavator-2 v.22
    stavrscoop.com

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1353 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Casper; Absolutely love reading your articles and the most recent on scoops (above) is one of your best. Recommend everybody check-out this one and his many other articles on metal detecting and what he has found in the past - gobs and gobs of gold and silver. What MD dreams are made of...
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

au
    Jul 2008
    TNQ
    88 times
    EVROEXCAVATOR-2 V.33 sharp nose and 1/2 "hole, universal.

Using one of those seem to work just about anywhere.

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    XP Deus (2019) Fisher CZ-21 (2019) CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    867 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Stavr Moonstrik 6 is my go to scoop, and have a 720i as a backup.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Mar 2014
    138 times
    Casper I donít see where the aluminum 2 piece rtg scoop with the ss tip is offered

us
    Mar 2019
    Southern California
    Minelab Equinox 800
    152 times
    I just received my 920ix with carbon handle & D-shaped lift assist. This is my first beach scoop. Where the best position on the handle to place the lift assist?
    Mineland Equinox 800

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6398 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    That's kind of a personal choice. I've seen them all over the place and I've tried many different locations before deciding on my favorite. I mount mine on the back side, about half way between the basket and the end of the handle.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Mar 2019
    Southern California
    Minelab Equinox 800
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    That's kind of a personal choice. I've seen them all over the place and I've tried many different locations before deciding on my favorite. I mount mine on the back side, about half way between the basket and the end of the handle.
    Ok, so it's something I'm going to have to play around with. Why do you have it on the back side? I just placed the D-lift on my handle to get the feel of that, and it seems it works better if it is on the front side. I'm sure you had a good reason. Also, Sunspot threw in a straight bar lift for free, so I'm thinking of placing that right above scoop - to give me something sturdy to hold onto as I'm picking the finds out the scoop.
    Mineland Equinox 800

us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    Ace 350 - AT Pro
    1535 times
    May I add that I too am looking at long handled scoops - but one problem I am having is a size restriction. Both Oregon and Washington state parks state no scoop larger than a 6" x 8" with 1/2" holes min. So check rules in your hunting area before you buy!

PS I don't know if once you are in the ocean, you are past the park boundry. I'll call around and update this post.

HH all!

us
    Sep 2012
    Beaumont, TX
    Garrett AT Pro Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher CZ-21 White Classic 3 SL
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Molewacker View Post
    May I add that I too am looking at long handled scoops - but one problem I am having is a size restriction. Both Oregon and Washington state parks state no scoop larger than a 6" x 8" with 1/2" holes min. So check rules in your hunting area before you buy!

PS I don't know if once you are in the ocean, you are past the park boundry. I'll call around and update this post.

HH all!
    That's interesting. I wonder what's the reason for that kind of restriction and what caused it. Inquiring minds want to know!
    Molewacker likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6398 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star View Post
    Ok, so it's something I'm going to have to play around with. Why do you have it on the back side? I just placed the D-lift on my handle to get the feel of that, and it seems it works better if it is on the front side. I'm sure you had a good reason. Also, Sunspot threw in a straight bar lift for free, so I'm thinking of placing that right above scoop - to give me something sturdy to hold onto as I'm picking the finds out the scoop.
    I usually grid an area and find it easier to drag the scoop with the handle on the back side to leave grid marks. I also find it easier to "steam shovel" sand with the handle that way. Like I said, it's a personal preference thing. Try a few different locations and use what feels best to you.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Mar 2019
    Southern California
    Minelab Equinox 800
    152 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I usually grid an area and find it easier to drag the scoop with the handle on the back side to leave grid marks. I also find it easier to "steam shovel" sand with the handle that way. Like I said, it's a personal preference thing. Try a few different locations and use what feels best to you.
    That makes sense. It would be easier to drag the shovel if the handle is on the back side. I have the plastic D handle, and I discovered if it is not cranked down tight all the way, the handle can swivel around, to be used on the front or back side as needed.
    Mineland Equinox 800

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2 - VP 580
    38766 times
    Not that it matters...

But I would destroy a stealth or the other stavo. heh

Casper...

You foam your handle yet ?
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - AKA -" TNet Under Ground " http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links