Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 6" coil is for trashy sites.
On a clean beach, larger is better.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 6" coil is for trashy sites.
On a clean beach, larger is better.
That's what I was thinking but you never know. Experience is hard to beat.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I was thinking but you never know. Experience is hard to beat.

Best to get to know the beach's you hunt then go from there. I have a 7.5 xcalibur, rarely do I use it but I have a couple spots it works great in the rocks.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been hunting our Florida beaches for years now and I stay with the larger coils.

The 6" coil just doesn't cover enough area per sweep and I need the added depth afforded by the larger coils. Now, If your beach is highly trashed and more separation is needed on shallower targets or you need to get close in on large rocks, the 6" would be somewhat useful. I don't see those issues on our central FL beaches and although the 6" is a fine coil for its intended purpose, I have no real need of the 6" coil.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought. The beaches here shouldn't need the small coil but as I also dirt hunt I'll probably get one for those places.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my 6” coil on the beaches here all the time. I love it. The stock coil works good too. One of the reasons why I use the 6” coil though is because I can stay longer because it’s lighter to swing. I’m usually on the beach from 5:30 am till at least 10am. After that it gets to crowded.

Oct 8, 2018
Edisto Island SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800. Garret AT Pro. Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Predator tools model 35 - Piranha Shovel, 8" wet beach sand scoop, Garrett Edge Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 15" coil on my 800 NOX. 15" coil covers more ground and added depth when I beach detect. The 6" coil works great in trashy areas.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I did have the 6” coil for a while and found it to be a great little coil but a bit small for the beaches I hunt. Tight areas and depth the little coil shines.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Larger coil for open clean areas!

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
48366473_1641547209280773_5541058168949309440_n.jpg
under normal conditions, a standard coil is sufficient.
in dirty areas and stones 6-8 "
in clean areas and low tide 14-15 "

WorkingDawg

Greenie
Apr 7, 2013
Central Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro, M6, and Carrot pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm definitely not an expert, but from my experience I pick the coil for the beach based on how long that I'm going to be out. If it's a couple quick hours then I use the 15". If it's a full day then I use the 11" and walk a little slower. To me the 11" is better balanced and my arm doesn't get tired. With the 15" on longer days I find myself switching swing arms. The 6" coil I use in trashy areas or park conditions.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive always been a standard coil kind of guy. It has coverage over the smaller one. HOWEVER....... i know several guys using that TINY coil in and out of the water. Its frustrating to say....... but they seem to be doing as good as me.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive always been a standard coil kind of guy. It has coverage over the smaller one. HOWEVER....... i know several guys using that TINY coil in and out of the water. Its frustrating to say....... but they seem to be doing as good as me.
I guess it depends on how much ground you have to cover and how trashy it is. In my case it looks like I'll stay with the stock coil for now.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold my 6" coil within a week...coz it sucked!!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt...... you are the first ive seen that said something negative about the 6" coil.... i mean short of coverage. Ive seen more disappointed in the 15" one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread