sting rays

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
anybody ever have a problem with these guys.Today around 6pm,last hour of my 10 hour hunt, this ray about 12" across kept showing up everytime I dug a target,I kept hitting him with the coil to run him off,well as soon has I pick my foot up to dig he came in from the back an park himself right under were my foot would have been, well when I step off the scoop to put my foot down I steped on his wing an we BOTH jumped.The next target an he's back again, so this time I hit him with my scoop(thats got to hurt) but I guess got enough, he runs off makes a circle an come right back, well it was at the end of the day so I guess gave up an left while I still could.GOT any Ideas how to get these guys to move on for good.

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha..sounds like you made a friend...He just wanted to help..musta been a female...you know how they like jewelery..lol HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend told me about this behavior from stingrays. Seems with your digging you are uncovering food and they want a free lunch. Still I know it can be more than unnerving to step on one.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frog gigs work great for troublesome sting rays.get you a cookie cutter an use it on the wings.fry them in butter.tastes like scallops.

whodom

May 6, 2006
Why not dig a hole for the stingray and let him feed there? When he comes back to you stir up his hole again. W.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
I don't do a lot of water hunting in the ocean and you just reminded me why! Your experience would totally freak me out and I wouldn't be able to continue hunting. I don't like critters in the water or insects! No one mentioned it but can't they sting you or something? Joe

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My understanding is that the sting will send you to the hospital real quick.

Hot water, as hot as you can stand it will help with the pain.

OP
OP
S

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
JOE(USA) said:
I don't do a lot of water hunting in the ocean and you just reminded me why! Your experience would totally freak me out and I wouldn't be able to continue hunting. I don't like critters in the water or insects! No one mentioned it but can't they sting you or something? Joe
very much so, I have a friend who back in high school step on one while out wade fishing, he had on tennis shoes an it went right thru them like butter, he said the pain was very bad, as if someone took a knife that was cherry red from a fire an stuck it in his foot, at the hospital the DR. said they do anywhere from 2 to 5 stingray accidents a week during the busy season,I guess they keep this out of the news to keep the people at the beaches, but I still feel the DRIVE to the beach is the most dangerous part of going to the beach.By the way my friend still goes to the beach often but moves thru the water a little slower.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Folks, Its a very popular Florida dance called the "Stingray Shuffle".
When I see obvious tourists I try to make them aware of shuffling their feet as they unknowingly run and romp in the surf.

Most first time visitors are totally unaware of the danger.

When I hang out at Sharky's pier at night it astounds me how many people will swim at dusk and at night.
Sharks feeding time you know.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
newbie-wan said:
When I hang out at Sharky's pier at night it astounds me how many people will swim at dusk and at night.
Sharks feeding time you know.

two people in the water at night.. i dont think they are swimming! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread