cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use and like both. IMO, the Excal will go a little deeper. The Nox will give you a better idea of what you're running over since it has a display. Changing a coil or headphones is much easier on the Nox. Naturally, if you're going deeper in the water than 10 feet, you will need the Excal. Both are very stable and work well in salt water.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If I did not know my Excalibur so well, I would own a Nox. My belief is, a New Nox is Better then a New Excalibur. Keep in mind also, the machine is only part of the puzzle when it comes to finding treasure.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to test drive an EQ for a day.

Too bad my X2 would be pissed at me for cheating. :)

Nah really... would like to take the Nox for a spin just to compare these.

I know the Excals like I know my arm so it would be interesting to push a comparable machine ... err or so they say.

I would give my review... or will if ever the chance arises.

Not buying one... or any detectors for that matter.

The ones I have now collect enough dust.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I e got a pretty good handle on both. Price, warranty, repairs and mode go to the Nox. I’d give sensitivity to smaller gold also to the Nox. Can’t see an advantage depth wise but like Joe said....you can be a big part of the equation. The Nox is lighter but can be noise heavy with it’s bigger coil. But who don’t like using the Xcal in PP mode? Waist to neck depth the Xcal is quieter. You just can’t beat the simplicity of th Xcal either. You can swap phones and coils on the Nox. It’s wireless and for night hunting has a back light and screen....it plain and simple a machine with multi purpose.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A solid machine won't leak in the surf?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Own both Equinox 800 and 4 excals with different size coils, I will always own an Excal with pp mod.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the 800, and the Excal w/ pin point mod.

I'll still use the 800 on dirt digs.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have two Excals and the 800. I have had great success with both. The truth is that it's hard to decide which detector to take. I love them both. The 15 inch coil in the water is a little noisy on the 800 unless your lucky to have a calm day.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys running PP on excals are you doing the same on the NOX?
I find the nox deeper than the bbs machines myself and don't need PP mode.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two Excals and the 800. I have had great success with both. The truth is that it's hard to decide which detector to take. I love them both. The 15 inch coil in the water is a little noisy on the 800 unless your lucky to have a calm day.
the Nox falses in the water?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt say it falses...... its can be a bit chatty if you run HIGH sensitivity...... or real low Recovery Speed because it picks up more of the minerals in the sand. This happens mostly with hard pan.... or when you are out there chest deep. But this machine does seem to like high K gold ..... and smaller gold than the Xcal and coil for coil is deeper in the wet sand than the Xcal.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both but was able to still pull more stuff out of the ground with the Equinox after I had already hit some of my favorite Maine beaches hard with my Excalibur. If you plan on going deep in the water, then of course the Excalibur. But for just the surf/dry beach, Equinox. The Equinox offers so many more easy configurations regarding headphones, coils and settings. Plus, you aren't pigeon holed into just a "water" machine. JMTC.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your are right....truly multi use even RAW gold with the 800

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt say it falses...... its can be a bit chatty if you run HIGH sensitivity...... or real low Recovery Speed because it picks up more of the minerals in the sand. This happens mostly with hard pan.... or when you are out there chest deep. But this machine does seem to like high K gold ..... and smaller gold than the Xcal and coil for coil is deeper in the wet sand than the Xcal.
Thanks

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting directly behind my buddy (same line in the wet sand) who is very experienced with the Excal, I'd say the equinox. I came home with way more stuff even running behind him.

Also, it's nice to be able to skip over pennies and dimes when you are in a hurry racing the incoming tide because it's easy to identify them.

After the firmware update which fixed the coins on edge problem, I sold off all my other machines.

It is not as nice on the ears though.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Equinox for sure. Its lighter, cheaper, and has a better warranty. You can easily swap out the headphones and coil. The only thing I like better about the Excal are the tones, I am not a fan of the beeps you get with the nox/ctx. I've replaced my CZ21, Excal, and CTX with just a Nox 600 and couldn't be happier about it, though I do miss those other machines.

Having said that, pay close attention to OBNs post - out of the box, the nox is going to win. If you are like him and want to modify the excal with better headphones and such, the excal could be a better machine. But it voids warranty and the machine is still much heavier than the nox. It also requires some technical ability to do the mods unless you are paying to have them done.

Regardless, the machine is only 1/2 the battle. Both are great. You aren't going to go wrong with either one.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

rykroll, so what did you get? Do I need to do double time before you get out there?

I think 50% of the club member's own Nox's now.. I see a lot of little gold being found this year in the bay by these guys.

OP
OP
rykroll

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure did! And already scored my first ring. I love it! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557235782.213564.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread