Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tom_in_CA
  • 1 Post By LawrencetheMDer
  • 1 Post By flgliderpilot

Thread: Old story ...lets be careful out there

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2013
    Tesoro sand shark, fisher cz-21 Whites beach hunter300 minelab equinox 800
    460 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Old story ...let's be careful out there

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9856 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    The link , in your link, that allows the reader to read the "rest of the story", is not working.

But I'm very familiar with the story. It is JUST SO CLASSIC about how person's can become sincerely convinced that they "know where a treasure is". And have machine readings that "tell you something's down there". And will go to insane measures , that defy all logic, .... utterly convinced they know where a treasure is.

The machine in this case was a TM 808. No doubt the guy was using it wrong (steel-toed boots ? improper settings ? WHO KNOWS ?). Gets a signal in his yard. Starts digging. Each time he turns on the detector, it still beeps. So he digs deeper. Even gets to the point where he hires guys to dig. Eventually coming under the scrutiny/curiosity of his neighbors. And then the public works dept (d/t it's becoming a hazard ? Or falling afoul of const./building codes?).

But the guy will not be convinced. I suppose that all these people, in-his-mind ... are trying to "keep him from his treasure", that's "just out of reach" . Heck, maybe he even knew an old yarn of a treasure story of some historical happening in his area. Which would be ALL THE MORE PROOF that the beep in his yard is treasure, right ?

It's a good story that sheds light on the psychology of some of the claimed treasures that have made-the-rounds recently, even here on T'net. You know, someone comes on claiming they know where a treasure is. And now it's merely a matter of overcoming govt. red tape, or heavy equipment to drain a swamp and dig-down 60 ft, or thieves that no-doubt stole the $ when he wasn't looking, etc... But rest assured: a Treasure certainly exists or existed.

Good link that bears repeating.
    Slingshot and wildcarrot like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

May 2013
    Tesoro sand shark, fisher cz-21 Whites beach hunter300 minelab equinox 800
    460 times
    Sorry about the link. Not sure about how to fix. The comments are hilarious. Will try find a different link.

us
    Retired

Apr 2007
    Zephyrhills Fl
    excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
    1316 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (6)
    this one about the man with steel toe shoes

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1353 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The guy dug 60 feet! Heck, the deepest I've dug is 4 ft...only because black sand was moving around inside my coil cover!
    Just kidding
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

gb
    I'm the best eva, the most vicious brutal champion eva.

Oct 2014
    S.Wales UK
    Equinox 800. Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
    312 times

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    9856 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Ok, let's take a vote :

a) How many believe there was a treasure in the guy's yard, that the big-bad govt. kept him from getting ?

b) How many believe there was a "more plausible explanation" for the beep he thought he was getting, and/or whatever research he had that made-him-think something was in his yard ?
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, BH Discovery 3300 w 7" coil, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher Pulse Pointer, Whites (1970s)
    1353 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If he is any thing like me...the target was simply falling deeper and deeper into the hole. Happens all the time! And it is usually a cent...so I vote "b".
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1315 times
    Metal Detecting
    Let me guess...

Name:  lrl.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  3.6 KB

The gold was actually on the surface but on the OTHER side of the planet.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links