Repair coil

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I broke a ear off my Aquasound coil. I tried repairing it twice. The first time I used JB Weld and next I used Loctite Marine Epoxy. They both failed when I tried to install coil. I roughed up both pieces for good adhesion and let it cure longer than required. Anyone know what might work. Thanks…Ed

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Look up Mel Parker, I'm not sure if he is still doing them or not.

If I remember correct he used a solvent mixture (MEK) along with old pieces of coils, all mixed and melted by the solvent to shape a new one. The solvent eats into the old coil but its a pour mixture so some kind of jig frame is needed.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
I have used PC7, a two part epoxy that comes in small cans. Mix per instructions on the can.
Then drill two or three holes in the "ear" and made sure the epoxy goes through
the holes and then made an over size "pad" all around the "ear" on the top of the coil.
Rough up the areas that the PC7 will adhere to. Make sure the epoxy is contiguous from
above the drilled holes, all around the "ear" and down to the top of the coil and make
a complete circular pad area around the ear. Let it cure for at least 24 hours.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have repaired “ears” using acetone, it “welds” the ABS material.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try an l brace or complete u style made out of Lenox plastic. Nautilus....you might contact the owner his coil may fit or he may have the ears....his name is Wayne if I remember right. Rex Johnson was doing those ears I think for Rudy. He might help. Pm me I think I have his email. I’ve got Mel’s email as well.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pictures help A lot Lets see what is going on Please I Have Ideas But need To See the issue

OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Sep 17, 2011
ft laud, fl
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
Primary Interest:
Pictures help A lot Lets see what is going on Please I Have Ideas But need To See the issue

I'm unable to send pics. I don't know why but thanks.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the program PAINT you can easily size your photos. bring up the picture you want........ right click the mouse..... hit OPEN WITH...... then hit paint. Upper left you should see RESIZE .... hit it and change 100 to say 20...... then hit the disk looking icon in the upper left to save the change. should load easily then here.

See the A..... B I U and smilely face at the top of your reply? 3rd one from the far right is .....INSERT IMAGE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions