Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been having problems with my Equinox charging port pins getting a green corrosion on the brass pin connection. This is the connection on the detector itself. I was wondering if anyone else has noted this and what steps they took to clean it. I have been told that there is sort of a clear coat over the brass pin connection and that you shouldn't try and scrape off the green corrosion. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Best regards to all.

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DE-OXIT D5, i use it alot in the medical field, works instantly and shouldnt hurt the clear coat....

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazon is where i got it from last time i bought it....

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used the stuff. No recommendation intended.
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-D...ds=de-oxit+d5&qid=1555692251&s=gateway&sr=8-3

After cleaning coat contacts with silicone grease.
I use this and recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Auto...licone+grease&qid=1555692811&s=gateway&sr=8-6
This a lot of silicone and most people will not use all of it in a lifetime.
I use often for many different applications.
Any good quality silicone paste or dielectric grease will work.
This is available at most local auto parts stores:
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-220...icone+grease&qid=1555692811&s=gateway&sr=8-15

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Rinse and dry the contacts after every hunt, especially is detecting in salt water.

carioca

Sep 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something I posted in the Equinox subforum regarding this. The only update is within a month or two I eventually could not get any charge in the port and switched to just using the headphones wired. But I at least think it bought me some time.

Let me share my headphone advice for those encountering issues charging the wireless Equinox phones, or the miccus equivalents like I bought. I live overseas so warranty work is hardly worth the trouble. I beach hunt and did so carelessly for months until the charging issues emerged. My guess is sand and salt water made their way into the micro-usb charging port and corroded/damaged the leads inside. I was about to give up on wireless and use it in wired configuration, but I managed upon a solution that has at least delayed that inevitability. Every time I need to charge, I use isopropanol, a high octane alcohol (99.8) and a toothbrush to scrub in the charging port. I repeat this three times. This cleans corrosion off the leads and it dries without residue. If a cable is suspect do the same on its connector as well. I have brought the phones back to life with this trick at least for a while. Another important thing is to put a small piece of electrical tape over the charge port on the headphones. I also cover the headphone jack, the little hole nearby, and the volume buttons as well, but the critical one is the charge port. I imagine this keeps some salty residue from making it to the leads. Anyway I hope this information is helpful to somebody.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions