Best wtaerproof detector under $1000 - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Best wtaerproof detector under $1000

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    15351 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by slider66 View Post
    My opinion is you don't want a PI machine. I had one and didn't like it. I would get the equinox 600 or 800. l have the 800 and love it. I would either get GG amphibian headphones or a custom headphone from Tony Eisenhower which I have. I have gray ghost on my Excal's and love them. Thats my two cents worth.
    slider66 is in Fla. and was probably pulling huge amounts of iron/steel thats been there for the last 20-30 yrs that the guys with high discrim. on
    passed up - I did not mention that I got a lot of gold from my trips to Fla. over the yrs under all those caked up caps that others missed or passed over
    a lot of guys think i have special or secretive spots down there - nope - i hit south beach and all the other small spots on the main drag from there
    on up to Pompano that have a parking lot - all the common spots - if i get into a spot with lots of older trash - than I know others left good
    stuff behind too and they do - I use my CZ21 in all metal a do the same thing
    Saltydawgobx and RustyGold like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    15351 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    All water finds - and not all that ive gotten from down there - but im only a visitor
    and think Ive done pretty good not knowing the beaches as good as the locals
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...lbums1617.html

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    15351 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...re1448388.html
    trash from just a few days trip
    this ring was in the low tide trough at South bch - my GF saw 3 guys go through this spot - they were like knee deep
    - I was hitting out deep - chin deep - I came in as tide rose and hit same trough when it was chest deep
    I pull 3 bottle caps, 2 pulltabs, and a zinc penny before pulling this ring down deep in the same hole -
    it was found with CZ

the large crest ring is from SoBe also - it was found under a large piece of cast iron that many
    locals knew about - they said they used it as a marker when they hit it - after about my 3rd trip down
    there and hitting it every time - i decided to remove it - brought to the shore and told my GF to give
    it to a life guard to dispose of - went back to the hole and pulled that ring out from down deep in same hole
    it was 18k and heavy - it was found with PI

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    15351 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Sorry for clogging your post - I tell people - if you have to travel a ways to hit a spot
    then by all means - hit and run
    (I dont - I do what I always do - if i do good i go back - if not i dont)
    but if you live right there or close by - just clean it all out and only way to do that is
    with a PI or in all metal
    thing is - large percentage of guys here have 2 or 3 or more machines to get the
    job done - it just depends on how much you want to get into the "hobby"
    Saltydawgobx likes this.

us
    Deep1

Dec 2018
    Carolina Lowcountry
    Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
    580 times
    If you're serious about beach hunting and not just piddling around on the beach, you need a PI.
    A VLF detector cannot compare to a PI in depth on a saltwater beach.
    With a PI you going to dig it all, no cherry pickin.
    I dug a toilet once. Not the whole thing, once I saw what it was, I covered it back and marked the spot.
    If you are going to do anything other than beach hunting, a PI is not a good choice. If, not, buy a Nox 800.
    I used a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 1 when they first came out, it lasted so long, when I wore it out and sent it back to Garrett, they were no longer repairing them and sent me a Mark II for repair cost of a Mark I. $150.00
    https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hb...r_main_en.aspx
    For the money, I don't believe you'll find a better PI detector.
    Whatever you buy, get it with a larger coil, go with a 10 to 15 inch coil.
    Hawks88, CASPER-2 and Saltydawgobx like this.
    If it's old, I'll dig it, dive on it, detect it or sometimes when I get lucky just bend over and pick it up.

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result" Winston Churchill

Apr 2019
    8 times
    I'll be hunting saltwater. I'll be in the water too

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30243 times
    If your not diving get the Equinox 800, lots of beaches are full of tiny pieces of iron, and a PI will have you digging every one of them. Once you get past 6-8 feet deep at the high tide line the iron is not nearly as bad.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7555 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    It also depends if you are in it for just the silver & gold or if you are in it for the hobby
    I know plenty of guys that dont even want the silver - just gold
    dont get me wrong - I want gold too but Im in it for the hobby - I like the silver - the gold and the other neat stuff I pull out
    plus i take some pride in cleaning the junk out and making returns
    A Pi in the right hands can turn plenty of worked out spots into good spots too
    you use it right and you should get stuff deeper than othrs - up here in New england - the salt does a job on steel and iron
    so we mainly have to worry about the fresh iron drops - bottle caps and nails dont last long up here -
    where down in Fla. and other southern spots - caps and nails and other iron cake up and last forever
    I hit a spot in Fla. in my early yrs with my PI and I pulled over 100 caked bottle caps and yes I was ready to quit the hobby
    but if i lived down there - seeing as I pulled those out - i would just clean out all those oldies and just have to worry about the
    fresh ones - I can take you to over 20 spots up here where you wont find a cap older than 2 yrs old - in salt waters at least
    we had a rash of PI users - Im partially responsible for that (I was killing it in the late 90s - early 2000s with my PI pro and others
    started to buy them) an those guys helped me clean up alot of spots of older and deep trash - those guys found alot of old gold too
    - over the yrs ive had a few of them thank me for turning them on to PIs -
    I used a Whites PI pro - I used it differently than most others and believe i got more depth than some - Most of all the PI machines
    out there I beleive all do great - you can usually find a used one for under $500 and some times half that
    like I said - maybe try and find a guy that has one near you as a back up that will take you out or a dealer that has a used one
    and might take you you out - good luck
    I agree with everything you've said......for an experienced detectorist. He's a newbie, we have to get him hooked first. The best way to do that is to have success right off the bat. Digging tons of iron can be a total turn off to a newbie. Most of my beaches here have lots of iron. Pieces of crab/lobster pots, remnants of old piers that have broken up in storms, nails and screws from pallets people have burned on the beach, etc. You waste a lot of time and energy digging that junk with a PI machine, and I've done it plenty of times in the past. In analyzing my trash vs. treasure ratio, I've done better with a multifrequency machine running in all metal over a PI machine (I've tried several). Whether it's my trusty Excaliburs, E-trac, or the Equinox 800, I run a BIG coil and in all metal. Depth seems to be equal or better than the PI's I've used, without all the extra iron digging. Now have I missed something masked by iron? Probably, but, I cover a lot more ground to more than make up for it. We don't have the same volume of history here that you do in New England, so, unless we have a significant storm or sand movement, we are finding stuff more recently dropped.....maybe from last summer at the most. Like I mentioned, a lot will depend on his hunting conditions and amount of iron trash. Will I get another PI machine? Probably! I'm a sucker for new tech. When that Fisher Impulse hits the market (or if I can wangle a test machine!) I'm more than willing to give it a whirl.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    3567 times
    Relic Hunting
    Lot of great advice given here. Best of luck to you SaltyDawg in your MD selection. Also, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia.

Charter Member
    us
    Garry

Nov 2013
    Treasure Coast Of Florida
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab CTX 3030 Garrett AT Pro Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil 3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch Tesoro Sand shark Whites prizim 4 Minelab Go 20 Stealth Extreme 920
    1704 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    Sorry for clogging your post - I tell people - if you have to travel a ways to hit a spot
    then by all means - hit and run
    (I dont - I do what I always do - if i do good i go back - if not i dont)
    but if you live right there or close by - just clean it all out and only way to do that is
    with a PI or in all metal
    thing is - large percentage of guys here have 2 or 3 or more machines to get the
    job done - it just depends on how much you want to get into the "hobby"
    I always hunt all metal mode in the water and dig every thing. Most beaches are sanded in bad so I dig every Target.
    CASPER-2, Saltydawgobx and Hawks88 like this.
    If you don't look for it you won't find it!! So get out there and dig it.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    7656 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    My suggestion would be the Minelab Equinox 800. There is so much good target information with the tones and target ID when using the Nox. It helps give the new person perspective on its use and behavior. That helps bring them up to speed quicker.
    Also it recovers fast so potentially you don’t miss nearby targets. Good luck!
    Saltydawgobx, OBN and Hawks88 like this.

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    15351 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    i was an experienced land hunter but other than floating a land machine in the early 80s my first true experience in saltwater was mid 90s with PI pro and it was a brave new world
    and i had no one to go to - no forums back then and had no partners or friends that wanted to get into the water
    my exwife is one who pushed me into it really - I spent hours in water on trips snorkeling and got into underwater photography alot - i would hit land and dry sand now and then
    and she said "you spend so much time in the water - why havent you gotten a water machine? - I did and the rest is history ...and so was she
    i knew my machine so well - i could tell you exactly what i had 9 times out of 10 before i dug it - even on tiny iron and bobby pins
    i used to wow friends i hunted with by telling them - "sounds like a ring" - bang - a ring...They'd see me stop and ask - "good target?' "No...sounds like a bottle cap" - it was a bottle cap
    I used to do same thing with my early land machine - "it sounds like a deep indian head" - it was a deep indian head - it sounds like a silver dime - it was a silver dime
    it was just learning the machine and really listening to its sounds - for some - everything sounds the same - they get hit and dig - easy
    i make it more complicated sometimes... but thats me

Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I agree with everything you've said......for an experienced detectorist. He's a newbie, we have to get him hooked first. The best way to do that is to have success right off the bat. Digging tons of iron can be a total turn off to a newbie. Most of my beaches here have lots of iron. Pieces of crab/lobster pots, remnants of old piers that have broken up in storms, nails and screws from pallets people have burned on the beach, etc. You waste a lot of time and energy digging that junk with a PI machine, and I've done it plenty of times in the past. In analyzing my trash vs. treasure ratio, I've done better with a multifrequency machine running in all metal over a PI machine (I've tried several). Whether it's my trusty Excaliburs, E-trac, or the Equinox 800, I run a BIG coil and in all metal. Depth seems to be equal or better than the PI's I've used, without all the extra iron digging. Now have I missed something masked by iron? Probably, but, I cover a lot more ground to more than make up for it. We don't have the same volume of history here that you do in New England, so, unless we have a significant storm or sand movement, we are finding stuff more recently dropped.....maybe from last summer at the most. Like I mentioned, a lot will depend on his hunting conditions and amount of iron trash. Will I get another PI machine? Probably! I'm a sucker for new tech. When that Fisher Impulse hits the market (or if I can wangle a test machine!) I'm more than willing to give it a whirl.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7555 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    When I started 49 years ago, it was at the beach with a BFO machine. There were no good water machines at that point. I didn't mind though, as there was plenty to find in the dry sand. In fact, I made more detecting per hour than I made at my first job when minimum wage was $1.60hr. I hunted parks and schools too with good success. There wasn't as much (or any in some cases) competition as there is today. Nowadays, the parks, schools, and beaches get hammered on a regular basis, so, it's a lot harder to make good finds, even for experienced detectorists. For a newbie, it's a daunting task unless you can hunt virgin ground, like your own property or belonging to someone you know. I've talked with so many people while detecting and quite a few have told me that they have detectors too, but, after a couple of hunts with only finding trash, the detector ended up in the closet. Usually those machines were entry level or beep and dig machines. It seems that the people who bought the better, more advanced machines, tended to have better success and stayed with the hobby longer. Maybe it was because they had more invested and didn't want to admit they made a bad choice, or, that they couldn't bring themselves to just leave an expensive machine in the closet, but, whichever the reason, the ones with the better machines, had more initial success, and stayed in the hobby longer. Oh, by the way, I like to play "name that tune" also!
    Saltydawgobx likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Apr 2019
    8 times
    Thanks to everyone. You have been very generous. Hopefully I can return the favor.
    RustyGold likes this.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5600 times
    2019.....Gold rings..115..Misc/gold 9.....Silver/Sterling 301
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydawgobx View Post
    Thanks to everyone. You have been very generous. Hopefully I can return the favor.
    Let us know what you decided on and maybe your feelings after summer. A follow up...

For me "knowing" what I'm walking in to lets me chose my weapon of choice since I have a few diff detectors. For you, having only one detector, that is versatile can make dealing with any conditions better,........... that's why I recommended the Nox. Then once you have learn your beach's habits you can make a decision on if more is required. The Nox will find you treasures, sell those and buy what you
    need. It will pay for itself if you do the time. Good Luck

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links