Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls. I would definitely consider the equinox 600 or 800. Good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, and and good quality sand scoop......like a Stealth.

OP
OP
S

Saltydawgobx

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, the equinox 800 is on my radar. Watched a few videos. I'm hearing PI in that environment is the way to go. Like I said, I'm a newbie. What do you think?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm hearing PI in that environment is the way to go.

??? Your hearing wrong..

Get the Nox, it's that simple. A PI is a good back up machine but not to be your first and only detector.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Pulse Induction Machine is better IN salt water if you are going to be hip to shoulder deep ALL THE TIME. If you are going Hip, Knee, Ankle deep and in the wet and dry sand most of the time then Multi-Frequency is the absolute Bomb! Minelab Equinox 600; Whites Dual Field.:skullflag:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? Your hearing wrong..

Get the Nox, it's that simple. A PI is a good back up machine but not to be your first and only detector.
See - i believe new guys should try and find a used PI - you can usually find them cheaper than used czS or minelabs
learn to dig it all - then move up
I started out with a land machine in the 70s as a kid - no discrim. - dug it all
Im a better hunter for it
My first all water machine was a Pi and I followed lots of guys that used discrim. machines - i dug it all
and cleaned up behind them
I usually tell guys to find a hunter that has a few water machines and see if they can try one or 2
if they cant find no one - then get a cheap one to see if they really like it
i have a bunch of guys that saw my stuff - family friends and co-workers and ran out and bought
new machines with out asking me - many wanted to go out and kill it and then rub my nose in it that
its so easy and if i could get the gold they could - 12 guys later all gave it up after their first couple of outings
and no treasures

OP
OP
S

Saltydawgobx

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are great. Thank you for your indulgence and input.
The more i learn the more I'm beginning to realize there is no short answer.
I would like to find the machine that will help begin my journey properly. I'm sure I will be adding others later.
As I stated in beginning this thread I will be hunting the beach primarily.
I need something that will work in up to head high water.
Thank you to those who have offered their opinions already.
Further input is greatly appreciated.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI machines don't have much in the way of discrimination at this point in time. That means you will be digging just about every target you hear. Depending on the trash/iron level in your hunting area, that can mean no problem, total frustration, or somewhere in between. If the trash/iron level is low, it's not that big a problem, and you'll do as well, if not better than a VLF multifrequency machine. At higher trash/iron levels, a machine that will discriminate will help eliminate unwanted targets.... mostly iron. Some people don't mind digging everything, others (like me) don't want to dig iron, and in some cases other low and mid conductors. Another consideration is whether you plan on doing any land detecting. A machine like an Equinox is a much better land machine than a PI. Beyond the discrimination advantage, it will also give you a depth reading, and have search modes to match your hunting needs and soil conditions. It's also lighter than most PI machines, and in most cases, easier to change coils and headphones. As much as I respect Casper's opinions, I have to disagree with using a PI as a first machine. Digging everything starting out is a two edged sword. I agree that it can make you a better detectorist, but, that assumes you continue on in the hobby. My viewpoint on newbies is that most quit the hobby because they don't have initial success.....mostly because they're digging tons of trash targets. I think using a machine with discrimination will help the good vs. trash target ration and keep your interest up until you get hooked on the hobby or decide it's not for you. Early success in a hunt (even now after doing this for almost 49 years) helps keep a positive outlook and keep the competitive juices flowing. Good luck with your choice and future success.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you be hunting mainly in Saltwater? Or do you live inland near plenty of fresh water lakes?
Saltwater vs Fresh water can influence your choice of a detector and the overall price. VLF vs Multi Frequency vs PI.
If you have a local metal detector club, you might contact them just to get your hands on a few different detectors to try before you buy, who knows, a member may have a used one they want to sell?
I tried a few of models from detectorists kind enough to let me try one out at a local beach before I made the plunge dishing out cash on an open box detector online.
Items I found helped me "color up" to buy a new waterproof detector bundle
Good advice on picking up a newer/used model.
After picking a detector, I would suggest a good sand scoop and a hand held pin pointer to add to your shopping list.
Good luck and enjoy!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yes, the equinox 800 is on my radar. Watched a few videos. I'm hearing PI in that environment is the way to go. Like I said, I'm a newbie. What do you think?

My opinion is you don't want a PI machine. I had one and didn't like it. I would get the equinox 600 or 800. l have the 800 and love it. I would either get GG amphibian headphones or a custom headphone from Tony Eisenhower which I have. I have gray ghost on my Excal's and love them. Thats my two cents worth.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI machines don't have much in the way of discrimination at this point in time. That means you will be digging just about every target you hear. Depending on the trash/iron level in your hunting area, that can mean no problem, total frustration, or somewhere in between. If the trash/iron level is low, it's not that big a problem, and you'll do as well, if not better than a VLF multifrequency machine. At higher trash/iron levels, a machine that will discriminate will help eliminate unwanted targets.... mostly iron. Some people don't mind digging everything, others (like me) don't want to dig iron, and in some cases other low and mid conductors. Another consideration is whether you plan on doing any land detecting. A machine like an Equinox is a much better land machine than a PI. Beyond the discrimination advantage, it will also give you a depth reading, and have search modes to match your hunting needs and soil conditions. It's also lighter than most PI machines, and in most cases, easier to change coils and headphones. As much as I respect Casper's opinions, I have to disagree with using a PI as a first machine. Digging everything starting out is a two edged sword. I agree that it can make you a better detectorist, but, that assumes you continue on in the hobby. My viewpoint on newbies is that most quit the hobby because they don't have initial success.....mostly because they're digging tons of trash targets. I think using a machine with discrimination will help the good vs. trash target ration and keep your interest up until you get hooked on the hobby or decide it's not for you. Early success in a hunt (even now after doing this for almost 49 years) helps keep a positive outlook and keep the competitive juices flowing. Good luck with your choice and future success.
It also depends if you are in it for just the silver & gold or if you are in it for the hobby
I know plenty of guys that dont even want the silver - just gold
dont get me wrong - I want gold too but Im in it for the hobby - I like the silver - the gold and the other neat stuff I pull out
plus i take some pride in cleaning the junk out and making returns
A Pi in the right hands can turn plenty of worked out spots into good spots too
you use it right and you should get stuff deeper than othrs - up here in New england - the salt does a job on steel and iron
so we mainly have to worry about the fresh iron drops - bottle caps and nails dont last long up here -
where down in Fla. and other southern spots - caps and nails and other iron cake up and last forever
I hit a spot in Fla. in my early yrs with my PI and I pulled over 100 caked bottle caps and yes I was ready to quit the hobby
but if i lived down there - seeing as I pulled those out - i would just clean out all those oldies and just have to worry about the
fresh ones - I can take you to over 20 spots up here where you wont find a cap older than 2 yrs old - in salt waters at least
we had a rash of PI users - Im partially responsible for that (I was killing it in the late 90s - early 2000s with my PI pro and others
started to buy them) an those guys helped me clean up alot of spots of older and deep trash - those guys found alot of old gold too
- over the yrs ive had a few of them thank me for turning them on to PIs -
I used a Whites PI pro - I used it differently than most others and believe i got more depth than some - Most of all the PI machines
out there I beleive all do great - you can usually find a used one for under $500 and some times half that
like I said - maybe try and find a guy that has one near you as a back up that will take you out or a dealer that has a used one
and might take you you out - good luck

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is you don't want a PI machine. I had one and didn't like it. I would get the equinox 600 or 800. l have the 800 and love it. I would either get GG amphibian headphones or a custom headphone from Tony Eisenhower which I have. I have gray ghost on my Excal's and love them. Thats my two cents worth.
slider66 is in Fla. and was probably pulling huge amounts of iron/steel thats been there for the last 20-30 yrs that the guys with high discrim. on
passed up - I did not mention that I got a lot of gold from my trips to Fla. over the yrs under all those caked up caps that others missed or passed over
a lot of guys think i have special or secretive spots down there - nope - i hit south beach and all the other small spots on the main drag from there
on up to Pompano that have a parking lot - all the common spots - if i get into a spot with lots of older trash - than I know others left good
stuff behind too and they do - I use my CZ21 in all metal a do the same thing

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4911-picture1448388.html
trash from just a few days trip
this ring was in the low tide trough at South bch - my GF saw 3 guys go through this spot - they were like knee deep
- I was hitting out deep - chin deep - I came in as tide rose and hit same trough when it was chest deep
I pull 3 bottle caps, 2 pulltabs, and a zinc penny before pulling this ring down deep in the same hole -
it was found with CZ
attachment.php

the large crest ring is from SoBe also - it was found under a large piece of cast iron that many
locals knew about - they said they used it as a marker when they hit it - after about my 3rd trip down
there and hitting it every time - i decided to remove it - brought to the shore and told my GF to give
it to a life guard to dispose of - went back to the hole and pulled that ring out from down deep in same hole
it was 18k and heavy - it was found with PI
attachment.php

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for clogging your post - I tell people - if you have to travel a ways to hit a spot
then by all means - hit and run
(I dont - I do what I always do - if i do good i go back - if not i dont)
but if you live right there or close by - just clean it all out and only way to do that is
with a PI or in all metal
thing is - large percentage of guys here have 2 or 3 or more machines to get the
job done - it just depends on how much you want to get into the "hobby"

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're serious about beach hunting and not just piddling around on the beach, you need a PI.
A VLF detector cannot compare to a PI in depth on a saltwater beach.
With a PI you going to dig it all, no cherry pickin.
I dug a toilet once. Not the whole thing, once I saw what it was, I covered it back and marked the spot.
If you are going to do anything other than beach hunting, a PI is not a good choice. If, not, buy a Nox 800.
I used a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 1 when they first came out, it lasted so long, when I wore it out and sent it back to Garrett, they were no longer repairing them and sent me a Mark II for repair cost of a Mark I. $150.00
https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_sea_hunter_main_en.aspx
For the money, I don't believe you'll find a better PI detector.
Whatever you buy, get it with a larger coil, go with a 10 to 15 inch coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread