Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I usually metal detect the surf and as a back-up hunt dry sand along east and west coast Florida beaches. But I also love history and research, which lead to this major find for me.

I was reading a local history related book with maps and noticed a large departure from the current landscape compared to the landscape from about 100 yrs ago. The early landscape included cottages and a community which is no longer in existence. A forgotten community! What an excellent metal detecting site, I thought, possibly even virgin metal detecting ground! Is that even possible, especially in Florida with 10 million Metal Detectorists?

Due to circumstances, I had my first visit to the site one evening, only 3 hrs before sunset. I usually swing my detector from the moment I get out of the truck to the moment I return to the truck, but not this time. I had to walk about a mile to the site and, given the time constraints, with detector in one hand and sand scoop in the other, I high-tailed it straight to the site and previewed the surroundings. I decided on a strategy to cover the most promising ground first and started swinging before the CTX was even fully booted-up. Almost immediately, I hit on a 12:40 target; a cent I thought, and given the new site decided to dig it up. Sure glad I did!

The target was about 15” down underneath a layer of fist-sized rocks and it took me a while to retrieve it. The thing that immediately caught my eye was what I thought was a 2” long horn. Also, I could just make-out a little silver metal. HOLY SHUCKS, I said out loud, or something to that effect, this is really cool!! I couldn’t see much else of the target except for the horn and small silverfish piece due to the encrustation.

Capped Tooth 1.jpg

The rest of my 3 hr hunt was uneventful, except for the clad that I retrieved - the dates were all from the 1960s – early 1980s.

When I got home, I immediately went to work cleaning the target and as the evening progressed so did the beauty of the find, as shown in the pics below.

Capped tooth 3.jpg

Capped tooth 4 VIP.jpg

capped tooth 7 clear portrait.jpg

capped tooth 10 final.jpg

capped tooth 12 leftside.jpg

The target is, I believe, a silver capped alligator tooth with fine-detailed alligator motif with loop. The entire length is 2 ¼” . Man, this, to me, is a once-in-a-lifetime find!

As for the site, I’ll have to do more research as to what happened to the site as the years went by, but suffice it to say I’ll be returning to the site the next chance I get. In the meantime, I’ll just sit back and get long-in-the-tooth!

Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THAT, is one of the best finds I have EVER seen! Congratulations!!!:skullflag::hello2:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's so cool

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, did the Alligator Boots come with that Gem of a Tooth? (Romancing the Stone)

Like Terry indicated, That is one of the best finds I've ever seen! Congratulations

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool!

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Yukon Coin Hustler II, Vibra-Tector 740, Pulse Dive (2), Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is way cool!

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Believe it or not,I found one of these earlier this year.but mine measures 1 1/2 inches.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, congrats! :occasion14:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find...love those once in a lifetime finds...congrats.

cladpirate

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a native american thing. It is meant to bring wealth to the bearer. I had one just like it and it might even have been mine as I think I lost it on a water hunt. Anyway. Great find. Congrats.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
This is a native american thing. It is meant to bring wealth to the bearer. I had one just like it and it might even have been mine as I think I lost it on a water hunt. Anyway. Great find. Congrats.

Given the encrustation and surrounding coin finds, I believe the silver capped alligator tooth is from the 1970s. Now, I have been metal detecting land since then but I don't think water detectors or even water detecting was around, at least I sure don't have any knowledge of water detectors or water hunting back then. But you're right, it has brought wealth (and a big smile) to the bearer/finder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread