Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
Dunn NC
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks I just got a Garrett AT Max and I’m headed to Florida for 2 weeks. I’ll be in Weston fla. for a week starting Sunday. Then I’ll be in Orlando for another week. Anyone have any places near those areas that they can recommend for a newbie to try out? Also any tips or tricks would be welcome. Thanks

I have the stock coil plus a 5x8 DD coil.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Get on the beach with that small coil for practice, lots to do on the max, great machine but it will take some getting used to.

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a sand scoop to take along. I now have a heavy duty plastic one, before I had a nice heavy duty stainless steel one but it was so heavy I soon got tired of hauling it around.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag: I love my AT MAX but if you are thinking about hunting in the salt water you will find it very challenging, it performs a bit better in the wet sand and great on dry. Don't get discouraged the salt water environment is the toughest the MAX, be patients and learn your machine:icon_thumleft:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. . . . . . . . . . . . :hello2:
2 words: treasure coast

OP
OP
Etars

Etars

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
Dunn NC
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks. It really Is a steep learning curve. The last dectector I had was a radio shack one that I took back 2 days later because it didn’t do well at all around the ocean. I’m really excited to get into this hobby and learn all I can about this machine. Anyone have any settings that they mind sharing while using it on the dry part of the beach?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
w elcome.jpg

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring a big bag with you to put all that treasure in while your hunting good luck

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While in Orlando I would make a serious effort to get to Sebastian Inlet and detect the beach from the Inlet south to and including Wabasso Beach.This is where most of the 1715 Fleet wrecks are. STAY OUT OF THE WATER AND THE DUNES! Just the beach. There are several posts on here under 1715 that give you all the info, beach access, wreck locations,and parking. The ride will take about 3 hrs from Orlando. Well worth the ride! Have fun.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right, all right, simmer down everyone,
cain't everybody fight over him,
I got Etars here.... :laughing7:

Ya'll don't know what your missing! :notworthy:
Good food, good beach, good trip to the metal detector store,
(Lorraine at Reillys is a gem, a GEM I tell ya....) 8-)
Best part, is the good company.... :notworthy:

Hey, if ya'll lucky, we might, just MIGHT, get ya'll a pic tomorrow! :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck that max is a great machine. Dont forget to post your adventures with us Tommy

OP
OP
Etars

Etars

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
Dunn NC
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres an update:
My trip to Florida was awesome. I looked up some members from here and I did end up finding a nice woman to go hunting with. She was very friendly and helpful to this newbie. She was swinging a Excalibur 2 in the surf line while I was hunting dry sand. I found a few coins a couple beer cans and some corona caps plus a few pull tabs and foils.

I really had a blast but was jealous of her in the water keeping much cooler then me lol. So today I received my new Excalibur 2 from the Fed-Ex truck. I’m really excited to get it wet but now I gotta wait up to 19hrs for the batteries to charge up.

Also I wanted to say wow I’m outta shape. Those few hrs on the beach had me taking a looooong nap that day. Exercise was one of the reasons I picked up the hobby to begin with so I’m slowly building my stamina up and having a great time doing it.

I’m planning on taking my new toy to Myrtle beach area this weekend and trying it out. The wife will be joining me so now we’ll both have a detector to play with and enjoy the great outdoors.

Thanks for listening folks just thought I’d share my enthusiasm with you all.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
Good Luck!! You’ll love the excal once you learn the tones

OP
OP
Etars

Etars

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
Dunn NC
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow. I picked up the Anderson knobs and knob guard so far. I’m waiting on my plugger 4 piece carbon fiber shaft to hit the door step tuesday.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks I just got a Garrett AT Max and I’m headed to Florida for 2 weeks. I’ll be in Weston fla. for a week starting Sunday. Then I’ll be in Orlando for another week. Anyone have any places near those areas that they can recommend for a newbie to try out? Also any tips or tricks would be welcome. Thanks

I have the stock coil plus a 5x8 DD coil.

I live in Deltona and have an AT-Pro. Set it on Std coins, turn the sens down so it doesn't chirp, ground balance it well and set dis at 22. That is what I use on the beach. Good luck.

OP
OP
Etars

Etars

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2016
Dunn NC
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting