Looking For Lost - It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got no video ... just blank.

BUT...

Never the less.... I like the "title" :P

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works fine for me. Nice production, albeit a bit long considering the content.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate rocky bottom beach's, most here are up the rivers. Good Luck on your adventures, Living the Life "You Are".

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The only reason I clicked this thread is because OBN posted.

Otherwise no point whatsoever.

And of course, Bigscoop has put some good stuff out here and there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only reason I clicked this thread is because OBN posted.

Otherwise no point whatsoever.

And of course, Bigscoop has put some good stuff out here and there.

Some people are so hard to please. But hey, at least it's free.....lol It's not for everyone, no arguing that.....lol

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate rocky bottom beach's, most here are up the rivers. Good Luck on your adventures, Living the Life "You Are".

Not typical of this lake/bay......generally sand, gravel, clay or muck, or some combination of.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I watched, listened, and learn from the best.....lol (Made a huge difference too!) Thanks Joe!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love getting down to the rocks. That's where the good stuff is! :icon_thumleft: Now digging the rocks is another story! :BangHead:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched, listened, and learn from the best.....lol (Made a huge difference too!) Thanks Joe!

Haha, I know I'm getting old when I posted this on the wrong post...

Thanks Buddy but I'm still very puzzled in many ways...

"Deep Gold".......about a month ago I stumbled onto a good location, which I've hunted many times before and found very little in that area of the beach, until recently. Why did I not find gold there before....and this gold? Just to deep...I've pulled Nine gold rings from this spot (60 by 40 foot) in just a month. It's all old stuff, deep, and if I did not stop to dig all signals I would not have as many treasures. And by... "all" I mean I'm digging all, iron, nulls..bad signals, iffy signals..even ghost signals..that turned out to be the detector sensing the change in the bottom, matrix of,...and bottom shape. And did I miss gold, I am positive there is a lot more there.

How did this happen...winds, tides, water levels..I'm still not sure what moved the sand but it exposed some for a brief time. Yesterday...was bleak. But I did notice this, when I was first hitting this spot digging, I could feel crunches (shells) and then a semi hard bottom, under about a foot of sand. As time has passed in the last month, I can't even get to that deep area now..maybe 2 more feet of sand has moved in...

Interesting all that came from that area...dated from the 1920s to 1952, coins and class rings...this beach closed in the 70's.

I agree 100% on all you said....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I know I'm getting old when I posted this on the wrong post...

Thanks Buddy but I'm still very puzzled in many ways...

"Deep Gold".......about a month ago I stumbled onto a good location, which I've hunted many times before and found very little in that area of the beach, until recently. Why did I not find gold there before....and this gold? Just to deep...I've pulled Nine gold rings from this spot (60 by 40 foot) in just a month. It's all old stuff, deep, and if I did not stop to dig all signals I would not have as many treasures. And by... "all" I mean I'm digging all, iron, nulls..bad signals, iffy signals..even ghost signals..that turned out to be the detector sensing the change in the bottom, matrix of,...and bottom shape. And did I miss gold, I am positive there is a lot more there.

How did this happen...winds, tides, water levels..I'm still not sure what moved the sand but it exposed some for a brief time. Yesterday...was bleak. But I did notice this, when I was first hitting this spot digging, I could feel crunches (shells) and then a semi hard bottom, under about a foot of sand. As time has passed in the last month, I can't even get to that deep area now..maybe 2 more feet of sand has moved in...

Interesting all that came from that area...dated from the 1920s to 1952, coins and class rings...this beach closed in the 70's.

I agree 100% on all you said....

I just posted the following on another site.....lol

[h=2]Recently, in another forum that mainly focuses on beach and shallow water hunting for gold jewelry, there has been a discussion/debate as to why some detectorist seem to find most of the gold VS all of the competition. So I'm going to try to explain why these same individuals find more gold jewelry then everyone else year after year.

Sure, they understand the properties of gold better then everyone else and they know how to read the bottoms and they know how to be selective in regards to when and where they hunt. That's certainly a big part of it but it's not the major part of their success. The major part of their success is that they truly understand how to hunt specifically for that gold, this is their HUGE advantage over everyone else.

It all has to do with target signal strength and understanding the properties of those returns. Most detectorist don't possess this same level of skill, either never even getting those returns or misidentifying many of the ones they do get. This is the difference. So in this article I'm going to try to explain some of this in very simple terms.

Detectors rely on signal strength to determine what a target might be, this “reliable” signal strength diminishing as the target gets further and further away from the coil. If you pin a 5x7 image of a horse on your wall and you start backing away from it that image is only going to look like a horse for a little while, the further and further you get away from the picture the more it might start to look like a cow, a dog, or any number of other, “wild guesses.” This is the same thing that happens between your detector and gold, the reliability of the return continuing to diminish as the target gets further and further away from the coil.

In other words, tones and VDI also become more and more unreliable as the target gets further and further from the coil. And here's where the main issue resides, most treasure hunters want the convenience of being able to place reliability in their machine's tones and VDI displays. Folks, it just can't work like that. PERIOD! This is just a scientific fact and it is also the single biggest reason why some detectorist experience greater levels of consistent success then everyone else each and every year.

“Trusting those tones and VDI readouts is an unreliable convenience.” Detectorist want shortcuts where shortcuts can't exist. These consistently successful detectorist have accepted this reality, the others have not.

Ask any of these detectorist, “when was the last time that you wore yourself out recovering extremely deep pieces of trash and other undesirable targets” and they are probably going to tell you that they can't recall the last time that they didn't. It's also for this reason that these detectorist generally hunt for shorter periods of time and cover less ground then the competition. However, and here's the difference, for the shorter time that they do hunt they are extremely efficient in their slower progress and methods. They truly understand the nature of their quarry, the environments that it survives in, and they truly understand the unreliable nature and limits of the technology in their hands and they accept it.

All of this I learned from these successful detectorist and while I'm still not at their level my personal success rate has certainly skyrocketed after finally accepting these same parameters. I can honestly say that most of the gold I recover these days doesn't start out to be gold. I can also honestly say that I'm getting more deep gold then ever before because of this awareness.

“Deep nickels.” This is something that's a great indicator as to your own efficiency. Deep dimes and pennies and quarters are easy to detect, not so with nickels. Because of their composition deep nickels are much harder to detect, the returns from these deep nickels often being unreliable and extremely weak. Ironically, these nickels also sit right in the gold range, especially white gold. Nickels are also the densest common coin per their size and surface area so with everything else being the same they're typically going to sink deeper. So if you notice an unbalance of nickels in your common coin recoveries, especially the lack of deep nickels, then you probably need to refine what you're doing. I've actually been on some heavily hunted bottoms where deep nickels and a few pieces of deep gold were all that remained.

Folks, there just isn't any shortcuts when it comes to consistently recovering more gold jewelry. You're going to have to cover less ground and you're going to have to dig more targets. The longer you do it the easier it will become to pass judgment but unfortunately this takes a very long time and it generally requires the application of both discrimination mode and the all metal mode. All metal mode can actually reveal quite a bit of information about a suspected target in terms of it's size, depth, makeup and density. But this takes a lot of time to learn. I'm frequently using both modes even when I'm hunting in silent discrimination mode (no threshold buzz in my headphones on the Excalibur.) But this method too takes a lot of time to master.

So I hope this little article helps to explain why some detectorist continue to experience greater levels of success then the competition. It's not that they have great trust in their machines, it's that they know that they can't always trust them. That's the huge difference. Cheers!.........MA

[/h]

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, I've adopted a large scoop that's bigger then my stock 8" coil. This allows me to create a hole large enough to get my coil into so I can progressively keep getting the coil closer to those really deep targets. The smaller coil also lets me run it really hot because there is less contaminates in the smaller search field and this allows me to reach incredible depths. BUT, I have to have really good/flat/smooth coil control and I have to proceed more slowly. But it's sure producing for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread