Newb question for beach

DuaneNY

Jul 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Whites Surfmaster II.
I just used it for the first time, and had alot of false hits working the sand. I turned up the discrimination, and the sensitivity dial to filter most of them out. I still has blips registering though whenever the coil accidentally touched the sand. I did find 6 coins and a hairpin in 3 hours, so I was happy with that I didn't 'over adjust' the unit.
For my own info, why does physical contact of the coil hitting the sand cause a tone though? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sensitivity to high possible, my excalibur does the same. I run it Hot, I bump into, or even a little nudge it gives me a signal. You may want to practice some coil control. Slower sweep and use the machine like it is a extension of your arm to hand.. not a swing but controlled movement. And try adjusting the sensitivity to low as possible then move it up as the hunt progresses and see if that helps. Good Luck

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9ÎĽS)
This is an entry-level VLF device, it is not stable on strong mineralization, or you have a problem with the board ...

(Deleted for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the coil ...... but im incline to agree with Joe..... sensitivity to high. Working hard pan a good many machines will false..... coil flip and lots of minerals can do it.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with sensitivity being to high. You didn’t mention if you ground balanced it on the wet sand. I’m not familiar with using a surfmaster II but if it has a gain control or threshold control try turning it down also. Welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Check that coil cable also while detecting, move it around with your hand. I noticed today I had some excess noise, touched the cable and sound like I got a hit.. fixed it tonight I think..will see Saturday. Lose connection, I hope.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
If it’s the SurfMaster II amphibian and your in a salt water environment it’s gonna false like crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread