Experienced Beach Hunters Only - My Equinox 800 sucks, What should I replace it with? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Experienced Beach Hunters Only - My Equinox 800 sucks, What should I replace it with?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8657 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    No short cuts. There's a reason why the Excal has stood at the top of beach and water machines for so many years. There a reason why most experienced beach hunters still own one despite all of the newest and latest greatest machines. Fully modify an Excal, take the time to really learn how to apply everything it offers and it reigns supreme over the competition unless users just don't want to dig as much or that deep. No short cuts on gold, can't be done.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22883 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I totally agree Bigscoop.
    SD51 and DeepseekerADS like this.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    3048 times
    If everyone could just find gold and not have to dig everything else to find it there would be a metal detector in every beach goers hand. If you don't want to dig coins or silver you don't even need a metal detector. Just borrow one once you have done all the research and know exactly where the gold cache is.

He or she that digs the most trash finds the most treasure.
    RustyGold, SD51, wmgeorge and 2 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22883 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Yup, the one that digs the most items, gets the most goodies.
    SD51, wmgeorge and DeepseekerADS like this.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    2x DBP2010, eeTH, M4, GCM
    82 times
    I am affraid none of the detectors will meet all of your requirements. You want a deep machine, but in my experience large depth here is more a handicap than an advantage. I do have a detector that i can push rather deep, but since the water level is usually just beneath the sand surphace, mudding in a hole deeper than maybe 30cm (good 10") is quite a waist of time. So i am always just skimming say 10"+ for small items on the beach. The PI technolgy seems to offer phisical advantage over VLF, so you usually do not need to wary about salty water, mineralization etc. However, inland PIs are usually desigend to go very deep on larger targets, and are employing coils of somewhat larger inductivity i.e. around 500uH, wich reenders them unsuitable for small items. Simple designs, i.e. surf PI, are running coils around 300uH, which is much better but usually comes without discrimination. I am using an old home made Miner 4, an obsolete German design, simply due to its flexibility and overdesigned pulse generator which can accept almost anything. I am using small coil, both in size and inductivity - 200uH, 15cm of diameter due to the complete luck of target separation, which is usual with PIs. The machine can be pushed over 1m deep even with this coil, but i never do that. It facilitates a simple ferous/nonferous discriminator which works well if you don't push the detector and oversaturate the coil (and discharge batteries with 1.3A current). Non the less both ATmegas that serve the detector are notoriously slow for today's standards, so i do not recomend it. Maybe you should look for a military demining (surpluse) PI detector, these PIs might not be too deep, but they will be wery sensitive on small nonferous items such as aluminium - with similar conductivity as gold, and they will shurly do 10"+. Just make shure you get one with discrimination, which is simplified to ferous/nonferous, and somethimes "cavity" and LIGHT plastic design, some older types can be notoriously heavy. Or maybe it's worthvile to check Garrett's ATX on sensitivity.

May 2013
    Tesoro sand shark, fisher cz-21 Whites beach hunter300 minelab equinox 800
    470 times
    Equinox 800 sucks what should you replace it with?
    More experience.
    SD51, Truth, Toecutter and 2 others like this.

us

Jun 2010
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8657 times
    We see it replay itself time and time again, most recently with machines like the 3030 and Equinox, user expectations being way over the top of what is really possible. Initially, the hype is enormous, the claims are astounding, but then history repeats itself again. "Its more sensitive to gold"...."it's deeper on gold"..."it can see through iron", etc., etc., etc. So I think expectations are the true issue a great deal of the time.
    SD51, Toecutter and RustyGold like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    3718 times
    I don't beach or water hunt, but I have been digging a ton of pulltabs to hopefully find Gold rings using the E-TRAC. Pulltabs (the old style) produce a range of conductive numbers due to how it's oriented in the ground, if it's missing the beavertail and if it is not round or bent. Gold rings also produce a variety of conductance numbers depending on the karat weight and the physical size as well as orientation in the ground. Don't think that mother nature will ever change these facts since Gold and Aluminum are so close to each other on the Conductance scale.

Charter Member
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    23292 times
    Metal Detecting

Experienced Beach Hunters Only - My Equinox 800 sucks, What should I replace it with?

Make sure you let us know what “anti-suck” machine you went with, with such little experience time.
    Last edited by Truth; Jul 19, 2019 at 10:59 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    26923 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great Job OBN!
    OBN likes this.

us

Jun 2010
    8657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SD51 View Post
    I don't beach or water hunt, but I have been digging a ton of pulltabs to hopefully find Gold rings using the E-TRAC. Pulltabs (the old style) produce a range of conductive numbers due to how it's oriented in the ground, if it's missing the beavertail and if it is not round or bent. Gold rings also produce a variety of conductance numbers depending on the karat weight and the physical size as well as orientation in the ground. Don't think that mother nature will ever change these facts since Gold and Aluminum are so close to each other on the Conductance scale.
    The problem is the complete lack of consistency in gold jewelry. Shape, size, alloy mixture, etc., also the strength of the return which can be effected by position in the ground, depth, varying mineralization in the ground, etc., unlike coins, per example, there's just nothing consistent in gold jewelry, and since there is nothing consistent in these desirable targets there can be no way to produce any type of reliable target ID. Manufacturers work very-very hard to propagate the opposite false-knowledge when promoting their newest and latest and greatest machines. There's just no shortcuts, folks, because there can't be.
    SD51 and ColonelDan like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22883 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Again bigscoop is right on. Gold can ring up all over the machine's range. I had one piece that was tiny, it just made the machine go "buzz", no VDI at all. At the other end of the spectrum, the gold came up about as high as it gets on the Deus, 94! A big gold coin. User expectations on any machine can be unrealistic, I don't care who made the machine.

Hype? Falsehoods? You tell me. If you don't dig some junk, you're not doing it right.
    SD51 and DeepseekerADS like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17635 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I have both the EQ800 and a completely modded Excal II.

The Excal is ABSOLUTELY my go to water machine. The pin point mod on the Excal, that's the greatest. When Minelab upgrades the Excal again, the pin point mod should be factory issued!!!
    SD51 and RustyGold like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22883 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I doubt you can beat an Excal in the water.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17635 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    I doubt you can beat an Excal in the water.
    My hunting partner was swinging a Tesoro (Tiger Shark?), and I let him use my modded Excal for a hunt. Now he owns both, he got a modded one used off Craigslist from a friend of ours here on TNet - we just didn't know each other. I'd rather use my Excal than my CTX or EQ800. I speak the Excal language, and the CTX & EQ like to mix in foreign languages my ears can't understand! Simple & spot on are the best!
    OBN and RustyGold like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links