Experienced Beach Hunters Only - My Equinox 800 sucks, What should I replace it with? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Experienced Beach Hunters Only - My Equinox 800 sucks, What should I replace it with?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8657 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    "Faster recovery speed".....I think detectorist need to ask themselves what really makes the possible? Research it, investigate it. With everything else being equal, in all metal mode the response is instantaneous, in disc mode it isn't. So how are manufacturers really creating these faster recovery speeds in disc modes? The answer will shock some....maybe deflate a lot of claims.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7109 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    The problem is the complete lack of consistency in gold jewelry. Shape, size, alloy mixture, etc., also the strength of the return which can be effected by position in the ground, depth, varying mineralization in the ground, etc., unlike coins, per example, there's just nothing consistent in gold jewelry, and since there is nothing consistent in these desirable targets there can be no way to produce any type of reliable target ID. Manufacturers work very-very hard to propagate the opposite false-knowledge when promoting their newest and latest and greatest machines. There's just no shortcuts, folks, because there can't be.
    Very true. gold and other jewelry can read all over the board. Even coins can read off under many conditions. Metal detectors with tone and visual I.D. are just making a guess as to what the target is.....and how deep it is. Some machines are just better at making guesses. If you're trying to limit the trash digging, get a good guesser, otherwise just recover it to see what you found.
    SD51, bigscoop, T.C. and 1 others like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Aug 2013
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xr7ator View Post
    If everyone could just find gold and not have to dig everything else to find it there would be a metal detector in every beach goers hand. If you don't want to dig coins or silver you don't even need a metal detector. Just borrow one once you have done all the research and know exactly where the gold cache is.

He or she that digs the most trash finds the most treasure.
    I don't dig coins because I am tired of digging coins and want to focus on gold. You don't have to dig everything to find gold and the less you dig the better. Actually, not digging rusty steel bottle caps would be great. Is it unrealistic to expect a modern
    $800 minelab machine to discriminate those out. I don't think so...

He or she that digs the most trash is least efficient. He or she that digs less trash and more treasure finds more treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by gamiller View Post
    Equinox 800 sucks what should you replace it with?
    More experience.
    Thanks =)

We see it replay itself time and time again, most recently with machines like the 3030 and Equinox, user expectations being way over the top of what is really possible. Initially, the hype is enormous, the claims are astounding, but then history repeats itself again. "Its more sensitive to gold"...."it's deeper on gold"..."it can see through iron", etc., etc., etc. So I think expectations are the true issue a great deal of the time.
    Of what is really possible? Discriminating out a rusty bottle caps is possible. CTX, Etrac, and AT Pro can all do it easily. If I expected the 800 to discriminate pull tabs then your above statement would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Make sure you let us know what “anti-suck” machine you went with, with such little experience time.
    I have enough experience to know that hitting hard on deteriorated rusty bottle caps is a problem with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I have both the EQ800 and a completely modded Excal II.

The Excal is ABSOLUTELY my go to water machine. The pin point mod on the Excal, that's the greatest. When Minelab upgrades the Excal again, the pin point mod should be factory issued!!!
    What advantages does the Excal have over eq800? I'm considering one.

"Faster recovery speed".....I think detectorist need to ask themselves what really makes the possible? Research it, investigate it. With everything else being equal, in all metal mode the response is instantaneous, in disc mode it isn't. So how are manufacturers really creating these faster recovery speeds in disc modes? The answer will shock some....maybe deflate a lot of claims.
    But I thought is was new technology and super fast processesors On that note, does an XP Deus hit hard on rusty bottle caps? Honestly I don't know and would like to.

us

Jun 2010
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    8657 times
    Cutaplug, you're buying into the hype that science and facts doesn't support. "If there is zero consistency in gold jewelry items then there can only be zero consistency in the ability to consistently and/or accurately I.D. those items." As for faster recovery speeds, faster processors? Here again that processor, since it can't function on consistent aspects in regards to gold jewelry it has to operate on "consistencies within returns." So in essence, you are allowing a machine to filter out returns that it determines to be of no value like returns that are too weak to be analyzed, etc., etc. These are returns that the end user will never even know to exist because they will never hear them, so instead of the user getting more data, he's actually getting far less data. As one poster already stated, these are great machines for recent drop hunters who want to cover a lot of ground fast, however, the trade-off is that they these users have been fooled into believing that they are hunting more efficiently, when in reality and based on 100% facts concerning gold jewelry items, it is not efficient hunting and these users WILL miss a lot of potential gold jewelry returns. Science doesn't even allow for argument of these facts.

us

Jun 2010
    8657 times
    Cutaplug, you're buying into the hype that science and facts doesn't support. "If there is zero consistency in gold jewelry items then there can only be zero consistency in the ability to consistently and/or accurately I.D. those items." As for faster recovery speeds, faster processors? Here again that processor, since it can't function on consistent aspects in regards to gold jewelry it has to operate on "consistencies within returns." So in essence, you are allowing a machine to filter out returns that it determines to be of no value like returns that are too weak to be analyzed, etc., etc. These are returns that the end user will never even know to exist because they will never hear them, so instead of the user getting more data, he's actually getting far less data. As one poster already stated, these are great machines for recent drop hunters who want to cover a lot of ground fast, however, the trade-off is that they these users have been fooled into believing that they are hunting more efficiently, when in reality and based on 100% facts concerning gold jewelry items, it is not efficient hunting and these users WILL miss a lot of potential gold jewelry returns. Science doesn't even allow for argument of these facts.
    Cutaplug, if you won't believe me then present the following question to guys like OBN who excell at finding gold jewelry items each and every year, these are the guys I learned from. Here's the question you need to ask them, "How many of your recovered gold items started out sounding like gold items when you got those initial returns?" I'm betting they will likely answer, "Not all that many." And there, my friend, is the nudge, being able to recognize that coin shooting and hunting gold jewelry items are two completely different animals. It's the one thing these manufacturers of all of this latest and greatest technologies are counting on you not to recognize. There are no shortcuts when it comes to hunting for gold jewelry items. Hunt slower, dig more, and learn to be your own processor.

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    5275 times
    2019.....Gold rings..88..Misc/gold 7.....Silver/Sterling 206
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Cutaplug, if you won't believe me then present the following question to guys like OBN who excell at finding gold jewelry items each and every year, these are the guys I learned from. Here's the question you need to ask them, "How many of your recovered gold items started out sounding like gold items when you got those initial returns?" I'm betting they will likely answer, "Not all that many." And there, my friend, is the nudge, being able to recognize that coin shooting and hunting gold jewelry items are two completely different animals. It's the one thing these manufacturers of all of this latest and greatest technologies are counting on you not to recognize. There are no shortcuts when it comes to hunting for gold jewelry items. Hunt slower, dig more, and learn to be your own processor.
    Zero sound like gold, dug close to 600 gold rings in 6 years, not a one other then a gold grill did I say this is gold. it was a fresh drop..

How about these, dug a few weeks ago...complete surprise. Each sounded like larger sinkers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBN 994..jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	839.3 KB 
ID:	1737658
    one was mixed in with several of these....

Name:	OBN-jpg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	1737650

After I dug one, I could not stop digging the sinkers..then I found the other 18k a few hunts later. 995.oo melt
    Last edited by OBN; Jul 28, 2019 at 09:06 PM.
    SD51, CASPER-2, bigscoop and 6 others like this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

us

Jun 2010
    8657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OBN View Post
    Zero sound like gold, dug close to 600 gold rings in 6 years, not a one other then a gold grill did I say this is gold. it was a fresh drop..

How about these, dug a few weeks ago...complete surprise. Each sounded like larger sinkers.

Name:	OBN 994..jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	839.3 KB 
ID:	1737658
    ...and one was mixed in with several of these....

Name:	OBN-jpg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	1737650

After I dug one, I could not stop digging the sinkers..then I found the other 18k a few hunts later. 995.oo melt
    Awesomer! I've not been out in quite some time, a month or more, perhaps. Going to have to remedy that situation soon....lol Sweet digs! And I concur, nearly all of my gold recoveries sound like something else initially, especially the deeper ones, those tones continuing to change as my coil continues to get closer and closer. You just can't consistently recover gold jewelry items with a coin shooter mindset and that technology......just doesn't apply.
    OBN and Jim in MA like this.

Jul 2013
    1105 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutaplug View Post
    I don't dig coins because I am tired of digging coins and want to focus on gold. You don't have to dig everything to find gold and the less you dig the better. Actually, not digging rusty steel bottle caps would be great. Is it unrealistic to expect a modern
    $800 minelab machine to discriminate those out. I don't think so...

He or she that digs the most trash is least efficient. He or she that digs less trash and more treasure finds more treasure.

Thanks =)

Of what is really possible? Discriminating out a rusty bottle caps is possible. CTX, Etrac, and AT Pro can all do it easily. If I expected the 800 to discriminate pull tabs then your above statement would make sense.

I have enough experience to know that hitting hard on deteriorated rusty bottle caps is a problem with the machine.

What advantages does the Excal have over eq800? I'm considering one.

But I thought is was new technology and super fast processesors On that note, does an XP Deus hit hard on rusty bottle caps? Honestly I don't know and would like to.
    Should of bought an AT Pro. Bottle caps will quack on the AT. I can tell every time if itís a cap.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22883 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I use the Deus and it's no slouch. There are better machines for use in salt water, however. I like dry sand and don't particularly like salt beaches. Than being said, I mainly relic hunt and have been very successful. I agree with OBN and Bigscoop. I don't think I have ever found a gold item that SOUNDED like I thought gold should have sounded like or shown up on the VDI as I thought it should. My first gold coin blew my ears off. I thought it was a shallow colonial copper. The next one was just a tiny squeak. It was a $1 and it wasn't deep and I hardly heard it. They are tiny and hide. I had a 2 Escudo Spanish sound off about "94" on the Deus, I thought it was silver. Best ring was almost a foot down and I thought it was aluminum.

Frankly, if you only want gold, the only way to ensure that is to shop at a jewelry store. There are too many variables with gold to "predict" how it will either sound or show up on the VDI. The Equinox are decent machines. I don't think it will help you to get any other machine. The technology you want does not exist.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Jul 28, 2019 at 08:12 PM.
    OBN and bigscoop like this.

us
    Oct 2017
    Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
    Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
    702 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
    Typically when I start a new area of a hobby I ask the guys that have bin in that area of the hobby for their advise, to say the Nox sucks is not validated with your experience since you dont have any in that area of the hobby...

Sounds like you need more time with your Nox and some gold...

Make yourself a test bed using some gold and start learning what the Nox can do...
    Gold with the Nox? Made myself a test bed which included the rings I had, bracelet, earrings, gold teeth (yes, I found them), and assorted sized gold coins new and old I borrowed from my friend who deals in them. Got every signal from 1 to 24. As I've learned, dig it all.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2011
    Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
    Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
    1088 times
    i have a wonderful Whites VX3 with wireless headphones and sunray probe and three coils that i would swap even. Hunts in three frequencys.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2011
    Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
    Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
    1088 times
    I have a wonderful VX3 that I would make a even trade on. Hunts in three Frequency's.

Oct 2016
    East Bay, CA
    Excal 2, Equinox 600
    147 times
    I picked up an Equinox 600 a little over a year ago and am reverting back to my Excal II. I am shocked how many damn' bottle caps I dig with the equinox, so I can sympathize.
    I fall into the Excal II fanboy camp for salt water beaches. Get one moded out and they are a good machine. Even without the mods I was finding a lot of stuff.

-1.2' LT at 0530, so I gotta get to bed...glhh
    OBN and Bodkin like this.

us
    Oct 2017
    Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
    Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
    702 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetCorn View Post
    I picked up an Equinox 600 a little over a year ago and am reverting back to my Excal II. I am shocked how many damn' bottle caps I dig with the equinox, so I can sympathize.
    I fall into the Excal II fanboy camp for salt water beaches. Get one moded out and they are a good machine. Even without the mods I was finding a lot of stuff.

-1.2' LT at 0530, so I gotta get to bed...glhh
    Yeah, lots of bottle caps. Lots of other stuff too though. Love my Excal but I'm a one girl guy and she doesn't do what I need her to do on dry land. She has to go. (We're still talking about metal detectors, right?)

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22883 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    From what all my digging buddies tell me, the Excal is a better salt water machine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links