Experienced Beach Hunters Only - My Equinox 800 sucks, What should I replace it with? - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Experienced Beach Hunters Only - My Equinox 800 sucks, What should I replace it with?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    72506 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I might try a few techniques I have learned here next time I go bowling.

Love detecting bowling lanes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	film-the_big_lebowski-1998-the_dude-jeff_bridges-bottoms-pj_pants.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	1860173

PS... and on the serious side... even though some may laugh...

I use my X2 in cow pastures... woods... roads... it don't matter... she will kick no matter where.

Beach detector... yep... there too.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of itĒ ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    26231 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Another 800

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    32340 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    Hey Cutaplug! I subscribed to your newsletter. I was sorry to see you end it. Good luck on your future endeavours.

I have an Excal II and do not dig rusty bottlecaps often. The machine does not seem to react to them. I don't know why all these Excal users are being so coy about it. Unless things are different with salt water bottlecaps and freshwater bottlecaps (where I dig) I do not find bottlecaps. I run a minimal amount of descrimination around 2 or 3 and they don't show up. I haven't found a ton of gold with the rather heavily hit swimming holes, but it bangs on nickels and pulltabs and small aluminum which should all match gold.

Now, a lot of guys (from what I read) hunt the beaches using pinpoint mode and treat the Excal almost like a PI machine where they dig everything that beeps. So they might still be digging bottlecaps in that method.

Everyone else that is enjoying talking down to him, maybe provide some actual input to his very clear question. Is there a machine you use on the beach that doesn't pick up rusty bottlecaps as much?
    My XP Deus will "hear" a bottlecap, but I know what they are in advance and don't dig them. Sometimes on a very clean beach I will dig a couple just to make sure that's what they are, and yes, every time, that's what they are. So I don't have any issues with bottlecaps. So there is a machine on a salt beach that will let you know you have a bottlecap versus something good.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9161 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    All the Minelab FBS machines will I.D. a bottlecap easily. The Equinox does pretty good too if you turn up the iron bias enough. The caps covered in foil are still going to fool you though.
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
    2922 times
    Metal Detecting
    Fact is, you will never be near 100% sure the target is a bottlecap regardless of brand or machine unless and until you dig it up.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    32340 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Cudamark, those gold foil lined caps stink. You got that right. I think a lot of machine preference comes down to the user.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Oct 07, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
    Irishgoldhound likes this.

Jul 2013
    1684 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Gold can sound like junk and junk can sound like gold. Many times Iíve been fooled, or surprised. Iíve dug many bottle caps with the my AT pro and I can call it most of the time if itís gonna be a cap or not. One thing good about the Pro is most caps ring up in the 80ís, high 70ís so I know itís most likely not gold as most gold usually rings up 50ís to mid/ high 60ís unless the gold is bigger and thicker. Our clad coin here in Canada can sound and ring up like bottle caps especially quarters, so I dig them all when Iím beach hunting. Now for my Xp Orx itís a little harder to tell.
    SusanMN likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9161 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Fact is, you will never be near 100% sure the target is a bottlecap regardless of brand or machine unless and until you dig it up.
    I do when it comes to the Etrac/CTX. When it says it's a bottle cap, it is, and nothing else. Occasionally, I'll dig an iffy signal that doesn't read bottle cap and it is one, but, even that is rare. When I first started using the Etrac, I dug every signal for months....thousands of signals. I never once had a bottle cap signal that was anything else but a bottle cap.
    ​Avitech Associate

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
    2922 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    I do when it comes to the Etrac/CTX. When it says it's a bottle cap, it is, and nothing else. Occasionally, I'll dig an iffy signal that doesn't read bottle cap and it is one, but, even that is rare. When I first started using the Etrac, I dug every signal for months....thousands of signals. I never once had a bottle cap signal that was anything else but a bottle cap.
    Of course there are likely 5,000 bottlecaps and pulltabs out there for every gold ring, when an item rings up in the typical gold range the great odds are its not gold. You have no way of knowing if the ones you passed up were in fact bottlecaps or rings. I have dug 1,000's too and keep digging them, I'd advise others to do the same ,, But if you are pressed for time, just too annoyed digging junk or have physical issues that prevent you from bending down often then yeah, going with your gut feeling may not be a bad idea. [I know, its a bit more that a gut feeling, I have called out rings many times before I dug them with my lowly Ace 400, and also have said/thought "probably a bottle cap" at least 100's of times] I've been surprised both ways though, which makes me not want to rely on an electronic best guess as SOP.
    SusanMN likes this.

us
    Feb 2009
    southampton CO Va
    T2, White's Surfmaster PI, HH PI
    1 times
    I sent a message did you get it ?

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    9161 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xraywolf View Post
    Of course there are likely 5,000 bottlecaps and pulltabs out there for every gold ring, when an item rings up in the typical gold range the great odds are its not gold. You have no way of knowing if the ones you passed up were in fact bottlecaps or rings. I have dug 1,000's too and keep digging them, I'd advise others to do the same ,, But if you are pressed for time, just too annoyed digging junk or have physical issues that prevent you from bending down often then yeah, going with your gut feeling may not be a bad idea. [I know, its a bit more that a gut feeling, I have called out rings many times before I dug them with my lowly Ace 400, and also have said/thought "probably a bottle cap" at least 100's of times] I've been surprised both ways though, which makes me not want to rely on an electronic best guess as SOP.
    I did a ton of testing with gold items of all sorts, even mixed with other metals, and none came anywhere near what a bottle cap reads.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    4654 times
    Ever dig a nice coin a few inches deeper and directly under a bottle cap?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links