A Warning - Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: A Warning - Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17631 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!

Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection, has emergency surgery after 10 minutes swimming at local beach

https://www.foxnews.com/health/virgi...at-local-beach

By Brie Stimson | Fox News

More flesh-eating bacteria cases reported in Florida

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	694940094001_6057007692001_6057003618001-vs.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	1733841

Although the infection is not very common, scientists expect more cases to be reported as the weather gets hotter as the bacteria flourishes in warm water.

A Virginia woman who contracted a flesh-eating staph infection that spread through her leg after just 10 minutes in the water, had to have emergency surgery days later, according to reports.

Edwards had been at Norfolk’s Ocean View Beach last week with friends when she noticed the infection spreading. She told WTKR she ignored it for a couple of days until she couldn’t walk anymore.

Finally, she went to the hospital for emergency surgery. “They had to cut me open, drain it out and stuff it with some gauze. I had to keep it covered for days. I had to take three antibodies every six hours.”

She said doctors told her the infection may have spread through an open cut in her leg. WTKR reported there was a swimming advisory when Edwards was at the beach due to increased bacteria in the water.

“I was just like, 'Oh, my goodness my leg is gonna fall off,'" Amanda Edwards told WTKR. “That’s the only thing I could keep thinking.”
    A2coins, dsdigger and RustyGold like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    662 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That stuff looks like it could eat the loop right off your detector!! What next? oh yea.... Great Whites are hanging around Cape Cod. You don't have to worry cuz they won't mess with ya if your packin a CZ21. Right Casper

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    27946 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    EEEEHHHHHH
    dsdigger and RustyGold like this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    458 times
    Prospecting
    That is scary for sure.....
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6922 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Honey... I'm talking the bee barf kind...

I constantly have wounds or scabs from, my beaking birds, yard work,
    house work, boat work, projects, basically making my world run.....
    HONEY, I've found, is one of the quickest healers you can use.

I keep an empty jar (that usually has a little in the bottom) for wound applications.
    As soon as I get an open wound, I wash it & apply a small amount of honey, cover it with a band-aid, & go about my day. Usually 12 hours is enough to close the wound.

A dear friend, years ago, passed from blood sepsis from diabetes complications.
    She had turned antibiotic resistant, BUT, toward the end, the hospital started applying honey to her wounds, and they actually started healing!
    They should have been doing that, all along....

Make sure you keep your tetanus shot up to date and keep an eye on ANY open wounds, for signs of infection.

GL & HH!
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    1168 times
    Wow, guess no swimming while detecting for me. I actually stopped that a while back as I figured someone would try to toss me back in as a beached whale. Sorry to see what she went through and makes you wonder if it was nature our something we helped come to be. Pat-tekker-cat, I have heard of honey being a great cover for wounds and its' antiseptic qualities. Neat to have something that tastes good can really help if you cut yourself too.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2029 times
    The mortality rate for Vibrio infections, is about 30% at 48 hours. The only treatment is massive dosages of antibiotics. Amputations are common. The watermen (commercial fishermen) around here pour bleach on their hands and anywhere they have a scratch or cut, but the CDC recommends soap and water. When I take folks out fossil hunting along the Chesapeake Bay, I encourage them to shower as soon as we get back. Infections are both more common and deadly for those over about 60 and those with compromised immune systems.

We had a sculptor who carved large driftwood on our beach and he had a habit of washing the scratches and cuts from his tools in the Bay. He nearly lost his life to Vibrio as a result. His treatments were a success but he spent weeks in the hospital and it was touch and go there.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jul 18, 2019 at 08:18 AM.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, 720i Stealth Scoop
    7094 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I’ll be a whole lot more aware of cuts and scratches before I go out next time. Honey is a good tip. Will have to try it, thanks.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    2x DBP2010, eeTH, M4, GCM
    82 times
    Don't worry, the STD i got from my wife attacked my bank account only. The emergency surgery didn't help.
    CASPER-2 and DeepseekerADS like this.

Aug 2016
    741 times
    when in the miami beach area i ran into a fellow MD on dry sand i was in the water came out to talk to him said he would never get in the water again said he almost lost his leg to the flesh eating bacteria

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1058 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    5th case I believe. Coqunia, turtle, Manasota and a couple in destin. But I’ve seen som charts that show a lot lot more in the upper gulf...Mississippi...Alabama area.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    662 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    5th case I believe. Coqunia, turtle, Manasota and a couple in destin. But I’ve seen som charts that show a lot lot more in the upper gulf...Mississippi...Alabama area.
    Manasota! Now you've got my attention. Bad enough the red tide burns your lungs out. Now one can get eaten alive.! ...... or shark nibbled to death. Maybe take the ole detector over to Sharkys and drink beer all day...... or stay up north and maybe just get hit with a stray bullet.. <grin>
    CASPER-2 and DeepseekerADS like this.

us
    Aug 2009
    Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
    284 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Been in ocean two days straight with a minor cut from snorkeling. I can’t trash the whole vacation for something minor. Just play the odds! I did keep it out of the water in the boats.
    2016 TOTALS

Son was born in 2015 so no detecting this year yet, 0r 2016, 0r 2017 'very little hunting!

0 GOLD
    0 SILVER (925)
    0 Wheaties - 19...

favorite quote -

I AM A GREAT BELIEVER IN LUCK AND I FIND THE HARDER I WORK THE MORE I HAVE OF IT! - THOMAS JEFFERSON

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...MG_3461WP1.jpg
    1st - Keep Wife and Son Happy -2nd go HUNT!

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14762 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
    That stuff looks like it could eat the loop right off your detector!! What next? oh yea.... Great Whites are hanging around Cape Cod. You don't have to worry cuz they won't mess with ya if your packin a CZ21. Right Casper
    I was out there with them and I was bleeding and I was swimming with some seals and I was wearing my black dive jacket
    gave them the chance to get me - they weren't interested
    DeepseekerADS likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14762 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
    Manasota! Now you've got my attention. Bad enough the red tide burns your lungs out. Now one can get eaten alive.! ...... or shark nibbled to death. Maybe take the ole detector over to Sharkys and drink beer all day...... or stay up north and maybe just get hit with a stray bullet.. <grin>
    Love Sharkys
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links