A Warning - Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection, has emergency surgery after 10 minutes swimming at local beach

https://www.foxnews.com/health/virg...gery-after-10-minutes-swimming-at-local-beach

By Brie Stimson | Fox News

More flesh-eating bacteria cases reported in Florida

694940094001_6057007692001_6057003618001-vs.jpg

Although the infection is not very common, scientists expect more cases to be reported as the weather gets hotter as the bacteria flourishes in warm water.

A Virginia woman who contracted a flesh-eating staph infection that spread through her leg after just 10 minutes in the water, had to have emergency surgery days later, according to reports.

Edwards had been at Norfolk’s Ocean View Beach last week with friends when she noticed the infection spreading. She told WTKR she ignored it for a couple of days until she couldn’t walk anymore.

Finally, she went to the hospital for emergency surgery. “They had to cut me open, drain it out and stuff it with some gauze. I had to keep it covered for days. I had to take three antibodies every six hours.”

She said doctors told her the infection may have spread through an open cut in her leg. WTKR reported there was a swimming advisory when Edwards was at the beach due to increased bacteria in the water.

“I was just like, 'Oh, my goodness my leg is gonna fall off,'" Amanda Edwards told WTKR. “That’s the only thing I could keep thinking.”

Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stuff looks like it could eat the loop right off your detector!! What next? oh yea.... Great Whites are hanging around Cape Cod. You don't have to worry cuz they won't mess with ya if your packin a CZ21. Right Casper???

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honey... I'm talking the bee barf kind... :laughing7:

I constantly have wounds or scabs from, my beaking birds, yard work,
house work, boat work, projects, basically making my world run.....
HONEY, I've found, is one of the quickest healers you can use.

I keep an empty jar (that usually has a little in the bottom) for wound applications.
As soon as I get an open wound, I wash it & apply a small amount of honey, cover it with a band-aid, & go about my day. Usually 12 hours is enough to close the wound.

A dear friend, years ago, passed from blood sepsis from diabetes complications.
She had turned antibiotic resistant, BUT, toward the end, the hospital started applying honey to her wounds, and they actually started healing! :notworthy:
They should have been doing that, all along.... :BangHead:

Make sure you keep your tetanus shot up to date and keep an eye on ANY open wounds, for signs of infection.

GL & HH!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, guess no swimming while detecting for me. I actually stopped that a while back as I figured someone would try to toss me back in as a beached whale. Sorry to see what she went through and makes you wonder if it was nature our something we helped come to be. Pat-tekker-cat, I have heard of honey being a great cover for wounds and its' antiseptic qualities. Neat to have something that tastes good can really help if you cut yourself too.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mortality rate for Vibrio infections, is about 30% at 48 hours. The only treatment is massive dosages of antibiotics. Amputations are common. The watermen (commercial fishermen) around here pour bleach on their hands and anywhere they have a scratch or cut, but the CDC recommends soap and water. When I take folks out fossil hunting along the Chesapeake Bay, I encourage them to shower as soon as we get back. Infections are both more common and deadly for those over about 60 and those with compromised immune systems.

We had a sculptor who carved large driftwood on our beach and he had a habit of washing the scratches and cuts from his tools in the Bay. He nearly lost his life to Vibrio as a result. His treatments were a success but he spent weeks in the hospital and it was touch and go there.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ll be a whole lot more aware of cuts and scratches before I go out next time. Honey is a good tip. Will have to try it, thanks.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry, the STD i got from my wife attacked my bank account only. The emergency surgery didn't help.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when in the miami beach area i ran into a fellow MD on dry sand i was in the water came out to talk to him said he would never get in the water again said he almost lost his leg to the flesh eating bacteria

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5th case I believe. Coqunia, turtle, Manasota and a couple in destin. But I’ve seen som charts that show a lot lot more in the upper gulf...Mississippi...Alabama area.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5th case I believe. Coqunia, turtle, Manasota and a couple in destin. But I’ve seen som charts that show a lot lot more in the upper gulf...Mississippi...Alabama area.

Manasota! Now you've got my attention. Bad enough the red tide burns your lungs out. Now one can get eaten alive.! ...... or shark nibbled to death. Maybe take the ole detector over to Sharkys and drink beer all day...... or stay up north and maybe just get hit with a stray bullet.. <grin>

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been in ocean two days straight with a minor cut from snorkeling. I can’t trash the whole vacation for something minor. Just play the odds! I did keep it out of the water in the boats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stuff looks like it could eat the loop right off your detector!! What next? oh yea.... Great Whites are hanging around Cape Cod. You don't have to worry cuz they won't mess with ya if your packin a CZ21. Right Casper???
I was out there with them and I was bleeding and I was swimming with some seals and I was wearing my black dive jacket
gave them the chance to get me - they weren't interested :dontknow:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manasota! Now you've got my attention. Bad enough the red tide burns your lungs out. Now one can get eaten alive.! ...... or shark nibbled to death. Maybe take the ole detector over to Sharkys and drink beer all day...... or stay up north and maybe just get hit with a stray bullet.. <grin>
Love Sharkys :thumbsup:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess it's good that salt water is quite a trek from me. I did 3 hours in a local lake yesterday, scooped up $1.88....

My hunting partner scooped up an 18k diamond ring.... I must bring him good luck....

I completely accept the fact that I wasn't born lucky.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also look at what is stated under "Risk Factors" They state that infections are rare, and that normally healthy people have nothing to worry about with water exposure, unless you have underlying medical conditions or open cuts. It also says that you have about the same chance of being struck by lightening as contracting it. Considering the millions, if not billions, of exposures every year, it's nothing I'm going to worry about. Naturally, I'm going to use some common sense too, and not go into the water when there is a high bacteria contamination warning, or if I have any fresh cuts. With sharks, stingrays, and jellyfish threats being much more common, bacteria isn't even on my radar.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everithing man does carries a risk, even seeping in the bead and at the end we all die. And those whose acts are controled by fear alone are dead already. Ofcourse one should consider the risks and avoid unnessesary troubles, but all posible dangers cannot be avoided.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original poorly researched topical article in the OP does not contain sufficient information about the kind of bacteria that caused the infection - but I'm just guessing from reading "between the lines" that it must not have been Vibrio. There are at least 2 dozen types of bacteria that cause infections called "flesh-eating" by the press looking for a sensationalist line, and some are much worse than others. I personally know 2 people who got infected by Vibrio who spent weeks in the hospital, survived but never fully recovered. In addition, I know of several others who got infected, one while handling crab pots, and one of those died about 2 days after exposure.

Vibrio is most common in warm (over 70) brackish waters, especially those that are poorly flushed like embayments. Those most vulnerable are over about 60 or so and those with compromised immune systems, including cancer treatments. The bacteria usually enters the body through cuts and scratches.

Mis-used statistics suggesting such infections are uncommon are not helpful to those who live and are exposed to the bacteria where they are common. Vibrio infections are not uncommon in some coastal areas. It is a horrible way to die and worth taking precautions and seeking prompt medical treatment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread