Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but someone will chime in shortly.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any problem in fresh water. Never hunted in the ocean. I don't use an equinox either, so this is probably no help.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No detector is "easy" to swing under water compared to on land. The cross sectional shape and area of a detector will determine how much resistance you will experience with any given detector. In salt water you also have the tidal current to contend with as opposed to a fresh water lake. Seaweed also can ruin a day of detecting as can high waves.
As for a "floating" coil, get a stainless steel slug that fits into the lower rod and slide it in. I use one that weighs about 6 ounces. The added weight keeps the coil on my SurfMaster from floating.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterwalker, I once upon a time ago tried going in the water but didn't especially like the experience. I thought a sock with sand on it tied around the shaft at the loop might do the trick, but of course, anything like that adds more weight. A few different manufacturers make coils that do not float, but durned if I can remember which one I had that did that. The Tesoro Sand or Tiger shark I think.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Most manufacturers make weighted coils. It sometimes can be an option with hard wired coils like my SurfMaster. The problem with the weighted coils is their weight out of the water, on the sand or land. In the water very little difference can be felt. The sock filled with sand is a good temp. fix, but adds a lot of drag when you swing the coil underwater. The stainless steel plug add weight with no increase if water resistance. Another option I have seen is a heavy collar that bolts around the lower shaft. Like anything else, there is no one thing that will satisfy everyone in every environment. Another problem area was the ATX's solid coil cover, near impossible to use under water. I cut most of the bottom off, then there was a webbed cover available. Make enough noise and maybe someone will take notice and give us another option.

Enjoy the day

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know Andersons makes a weight for the DF i believe? Some coils float...... i dont have an issue at all NECK deep in fairly fast current even with the Xcal, Nox, CTX or the MDT keeping those coils on the hard pan..... to the point i wear out the coil covers. Moving them you kind of have to move with the current....... especially with the CTXs FAT shaft..... it can be like dragging a dead horse if you fight the water.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it easy to search chest deep keeping the coil just off the bottom? Is there much drag sweeping back and forth. I have a Dual Field PI that is impossible at any depth greater than knee deep because the coil floats. Piss poor design for a waterproof detector coil

Easy is a relative term, so, I can't say one way or another, except to compare between different machines. The Equinox is as "easy" and any other machine I've used in the water. Depending on conditions and which coil you have on, it can be ok to horrible. It's never easy IMO. If the water is calm and there isn't much current or undertow, it's not bad at all to recover targets chest or even chin deep. Add some surf, rogue waves, undertow and swift current, and knee deep can be almost impossible. I haven't noticed any coil float problem with any of my 3 Nox coils.

grantharris1945

Greenie
Jul 2, 2016
Ascension Parish Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m in Florida now screwing around with me 800; I think it would be way easier if all of you is submerged just because of how physics and water displacement works. I can tell you that I went about 20 feet swinging in 2 foot deep water and walked my happy a%% back up to the dry sand lol. It makes it MUCH harder to swing.

Much of what you see on YouTube is people hunting low tide wash outs in the winter when the low tide is actually the low tide, and the videos you see underwater are those that are snorkeling or using a SCUBA. The scuba people I am jealous of.

I didn’t get the 800 super wet, control box did get submerged by a wave or two (made me nervous) but I think it would would work fine snorkeling or with SCUBA with proper headphones (which I don’t have)

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have no prob swinging my cz21 in any conditions as long as i chest mount the box

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the equinox to require a moderate amount effort of drag in the water. I also found that the Tesoro sand shark was amongst the easiest to swing in the water.

Diggler

Greenie
Nov 29, 2015
Southern New England
Detector(s) used
DEUS ll, V3I, Equinox 600, Pro PI Diver, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Casper. I have no problem swinging my CZ21 in the water and I'm using the 10 inch coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread