Here is the scoop...

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand scoops are one of those things we all need and I think they are crucial for the hunt. They cant be too heavy nor too flimsy and weak. Thought I would show my scoop setup. I just received this scoop earlier this week and so far it is working great. The small handle at the base takes the strain off when shaking sediment out. It is Stainless steel and the welds are solid I am super satisfied. I was able to dig in wet gravel and sand easily, even tested it in grass with no problems.
For the pole it is a scrap 3.5' aluminum fence pole I ground down the lip with a grinder and installed with self tapping screws. Should be no threat of corrosion from salt water.
Picked up on Amazon for $75 shipped from Free2buy.

Attachments

• 20190731_093054.jpg
    20190731_093054.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190731_092714.jpg
    20190731_092714.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190731_092818.jpg
    20190731_092818.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would never hold up to my use (abuse!). Oh, and that aluminum shaft will swell up and seize inside the tube on the basket, I can almost guarantee it, unless you coat it with Vasoline or some other type of waterproof grease and remove it often to recoat it. To me, that lift handle is too far down the shaft. I like one much higher so I don't have to bend over so much. I use the ProHandle. It's very adjustable for angle and height. Good Luck!

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda, can you snap a picture of the Pro Handle you mention, and post it ? I have a handle similar to the one shown but smooth plastic........so read slippery !! I'd like something more textured or with a flange as shown to prevent my hand from slipping off. TIA

Voyager32

Greenie
Mar 10, 2018
Vancouver B.C.
Detector(s) used
ScubaTector
Equinox 600
Harbor freight
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had the same one but found it too small, couldn’t get my hand in to retrieve things, sold it and got a bigger model.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the exact same on on Ebay.
Works great in sand and rocky sand.
The one drawback is it isn't very wide so the target can sometimes be just on the outer rim of the hole.
Upside of that is, it's making me more accurate so I don't have to dig more holes. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Jay Plunder

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. The open end is smaller than most scoops, but this is a good discussion about scoops hopefully someone can benefit. I would also like to see a pic of the pro referenced above. Will look it up.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would never hold up to my use (abuse!). Oh, and that aluminum shaft will swell up and seize inside the tube on the basket, I can almost guarantee it, unless you coat it with Vasoline or some other type of waterproof grease and remove it often to recoat it. To me, that lift handle is too far down the shaft. I like one much higher so I don't have to bend over so much. I use the ProHandle. It's very adjustable for angle and height. Good Luck!

I bought a carbon fiber shaft for mine on Ebay. It's meant for traveling so it comes in 2 pieces. I also went to Menards and bought a cotter pin and one of them rods with holes in them so I could fashion a "quick release" for the shaft to make putting it on and taking off more easy. Caveat: I had to drill the hole in the carbon fiber shaft but that was easy enough having clamped it down to my work bench.

20190801_120843.jpg 20190801_120849.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda, can you snap a picture of the Pro Handle you mention, and post it ? I have a handle similar to the one shown but smooth plastic........so read slippery !! I'd like something more textured or with a flange as shown to prevent my hand from slipping off. TIA

Here's my setup. You can put it just about anywhere on the shaft. I've tried all sorts of spots, but, like it on the back side best. You can get it online through Home Depot.

Attachments

• Prohandle.jpg
    Prohandle.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 93

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROIGuy, where did you get that handle..........I'm looking for a textured handle with the flared part at the base. Thanks

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That handle looks like galvanised not aluminum...looks like chain link fence pole.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered this set up...Any thoughts?

scoople.PNG

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROIGuy, where did you get that handle..........I'm looking for a textured handle with the flared part at the base. Thanks

Just saw your message... Got it on Ebay... Here is the link to the thing.
Works well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fib...168952?hash=item21534850b8:g:DVYAAOSwsyhdAHux

Good luck. I also bought the scoop from him but I should have bought the bigger one. I got the small one and its a tad small for water hunting. I bigger one would ensure getting the target on the 1st or 2nd scoop I imagine.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered this set up...Any thoughts?

View attachment 1741257

I like it but the shaft will probably be hard to separate after going in saltwater for a bit. Cudamark is right.. Even my carbon fiber shaft needs to be coated a bit at the separation joint just so it comes apart without a tug of war after I'm done and packing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice tool for the job! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cuda,

What’s the advantage of having it on the back?

I can "steam shovel" a hole better that way, and when just scooping a hole in the wet sand, I don't have to reach down and lift a heavy slug. I can just rock the scoop and drag it back. I also find it easier to drag the scoop when making grid lines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the main reasons I went to an aftermarket handle of this type, is that I have a bit of arthritis in my hands, and I find it much easier to grab a D handle than to constantly grasp a round slippery wood or carbon fiber handle. It's especially helpful when dragging the scoop or carrying it over my shoulder. I can just hook my fingers through the handle hole without having to actually grip it tightly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread