🥇 BANNER 14K diamond engagement ring from the river!

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got up early this morning and drove to a local river that is extremely popular with tubers. I got on my wet suit, gloves, water boots, and mask and snorkel. The water was cold and the current was insane...kept ripping my mask off my face, but I kept at it, moving upstream by grabbing rocks and fighting the current. I fanned the sediment out of some potholes along the way to my destination, a waterfall about 100 yards upstream from where I started. I found a few things in the potholes, like a glass smoking pipe, a few bottle caps, a couple pairs of sunglasses, and 1 penny. Then as I put my mask back on my face for what seemed like the millionth time (after the current pulled it off), and stuck my head back Resized_20190807_141834(1).jpg Resized_20190807_141828.jpg under water, I saw this ring just sitting on the bottom as pretty as can be. I grabbed it and stuck it inside my wet suit...I thought it was a junk fashion bling ring, it was way too shiny and big stone. By the time I got to the waterfall I was worn out and the finger tips of my gloves were worn through, so I just floated back downstream to my starting point. When I got to my car and got my gear off I realized the ring was kind of heavy, and marked 14K inside, and A. JAFFE. When I got home I tested the gold, 14K rose gold. Then I tested the stones, Genuine diamonds! 1 carat pear shaped center stone, 22 stones on the band that are 5 points each, and 6 tiny 3 point diamonds around the prongs. I'll probably never find another ring as nice as this one, but I'll be back in that river as soon as I get the chance...I have a feeling there's a lot of good stuff yet to be found. HH

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
niffler

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ring has been returned to the young woman who lost it.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ring has been returned to the young woman who lost it.

Tell us more! How'd you track the owner down? We NEED details! Outstanding return, but details please??

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great find, love how you photographed it on the end of your survival knife too! :laughing7:

Congratulations on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet niffler!

Dave

OP
OP
niffler

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell us more! How'd you track the owner down? We NEED details! Outstanding return, but details please??

I made an update post on August 20th...Sorry but I don't know how to make a link to it. Also sorry for the resentment contained in the post, I feel better about the return after some time has passed. The ring was returned when my neighbor just happened to know someone who knew someone who's daughter lost her engagement ring in the river, and they were able to contact me, and the young lady got her ring back safely. Thanks everyone for the banner votes and great encouraging posts. HH

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Um, Technically correct, and I am a believer in returning personal items that can be tracked down and returned. And Do!
But I really don't think that the manufacturer of the ring has ownership rights for a ring that was recovered in a river. :icon_scratch:
https://ajaffe.com/

View attachment 1758862 [/QUOTEI

've never heard of "A Jaffe" pertaining to jewelry fabrication.

I would have assumed it was engraved by the owner. If I intended to return it, I would have stated so in the original post.
That would generally imply that I expected a reward. These metal detectors are not cheap. They should be cheaper, but.... ( See thread "Why does a metal detector cost $1500")
I have returned expensive items several times.
Generally though, I metal detect to keep what I find.
Sometimes that means not permanently and forever digitally broadcasting my search results.

If you do, you will probably end up having to return it. Duh.
Keepsake items like wedding rings and anything that implies "with love" often evokes emotional furver in their owners. (It's DUH.... not Do)

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravo Sir, Bravo!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ain't gravity wonderful even better when mixed up with water.

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed niffler, Thanks for the update! Although the sting of returning something valuable that you have found, remember that you have forever changed that young women's life. With one simple honest moral moment, that truly this world we live in can use more of. When I find something valuable, the first thought in my mind after the excitement of finding it, is DAMN, who ever lost this must be heart broken.

As I have said in another return post:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...nexpected-reward-post6271002.html#post6271002
"There are those who only see dollar signs when they find someone's lost treasures. Even in those instances where there are easy ways, or not so easy ways, to track down the person who lost the item. If those detectorists could understand that the heartfelt smile from a person who lost something dear to them, easily trumps the almighty dollar sign (no political pun intended), they would see a little bit nicer world around them."

I own three detectors and all the necessary accompanying tools. Without ever cashing in even one coin, this hobby has paid for itself with sales of jewelry items recovered that had no engraving identification, could not be located in public lost & found notices, or by checking in as many ways possible to find the person who lost it. If the item has even some notable mark or characteristics, I will even place an add in lost & found public notices. I would rather change someones life and their beliefs in humanity, than make a few dollars profit at their emotional expense. The "feel good" for a good deed never goes away. But the almighty dollar just slips through your fingers.

Just my opinion. And if anyone ever finds my lost high school class ring on that ski slope a then girlfriend lost it on, I would be forever grateful and rewarding for tracking me down and returning it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on the find. Someone, somewhere must truly miss that beauty.

All the best,

Lanny

Earlafindit

Nov 19, 2009
Mid Atlantic Coast DE.
Detector(s) used
f75se,CTX3030, , Deus ,Excal blue 800 & 1000 , Manticore , TDI BeachHunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WoW the perfect example of the 3 Cs , look's like a flawless diamond , stunning ring , did you have that baby appraised yet , congrats Earl

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread